From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Subject: Registry Editor
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:15:30 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

A user gets errormessage "Cannot import
c:\temp\DriverSigning_makeSilent.reg: The specified file
is not a registry script. You can import only registry
files" when starting up the PC.

Any ideas?
--

Richard,

Do we want to register this file? If not then we most likely have a shortcut in the Startup group or a reference to it in the Run
or RunOnce keys in the registry. If we do not want to register this file we need to find where it is being called from during
startup and remove that reference. Once the reference to the file is removed I would also delete the file itself. If we do want
to register the file then I would open the file with Notepad and check to make sure it is formated correctly.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Mark V

In said:
A user gets errormessage "Cannot import
c:\temp\DriverSigning_makeSilent.reg: The specified file
is not a registry script. You can import only registry
files" when starting up the PC.

Possible malware.

Use a startup manager to examine startup locations (files and registry)
and locate the offending item. It will include that path.

Consider also Anti-* products to check your system.

If W2K, no msconfig.exe is shipped with it.
Google for that or see
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Startup_Tools.htm

I like AutoRuns myself.

Or search posts here...