    Hundreds of clients are fine, but a small number (<10) are
    failing with the message above.

    Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

    Mark, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Mark

    Wayne Tilton Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in news:03a201c39818
    $981d9b20$:

    > Has anyone found a cause/solution to the following error
    > message?
    >
    > "The specified file is not a registry script. You can
    > import only registry files"
    >
    > I'm seeing this on a small number of win2k clients,
    > running a regedit -s regfile.reg via login script.
    > Hundreds of clients are fine, but a small number (<10) are
    > failing with the message above.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

    I just had the same thing happen to 6 out of 18,000 Win2k pro machine.
    It turned out to be an old copy of regedit.exe in the \winnt\system32
    directory. regedit.exe should actually reside in \winnt (or wherever %
    systemroot% points) but \winnt\system32 is 1st in the path, so when the
    V4 version of regedit.exe ran, it choaked on the version 5 regedit file.

    The solution was twofold; remove the bogus regedit.exe from \winnt
    \system32 and change the .reg file from V5 down to V4 format (change
    "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to "REGEDIT4" in the .reg file).

    Wayne

    --
    Standard Disclaimer: I said it, they didn't, so blame me, not them!
    Spam Avoidance: My reply address is invalid to confuse the spambots.

    Wayne Tilton, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Mark

    Guest Guest

    Outstanding response Wayne!

    I'll apply your solution tomorrow and report the outcome.

    Thanks.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Mark

    Guest Guest

    Issue resolved. An old copy of regedit.exe was indeed
    found at c:\winnt\system32. This was removed and the v5
    copy at c:\winnt was allowed to process the script.

    Thanks again Wayne.

    Mark.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Re: "The specified file is not a registry script. You can import onlyregistry files

    Wayne Tilton wrote:

    > The solution was twofold; remove the bogus regedit.exe from \winnt
    > \system32 and change the .reg file from V5 down to V4 format (change
    > "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to "REGEDIT4" in the .reg file).

    Note that V5 registry files are in Unicode format while V4 is in ASCII, so this
    should also be changed in addition to the header text when converting a V5 file
    to V4...

    --
    torgeir
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP), Oct 25, 2003