Reformatting XP Home-no disks

I have a Compaq computer that had XP Home preloaded. It is completely locked
up with a CRONIC virus and needs to be completely reformated. I do not have
the XP Home Disk or the Compaq disk that would have had the OS on it.

How does one go about getting a disk to get the machine working again?

Thanks!

Alias

Jeff said:
I have a Compaq computer that had XP Home preloaded. It is completely locked
up with a CRONIC virus and needs to be completely reformated. I do not have
the XP Home Disk or the Compaq disk that would have had the OS on it.

How does one go about getting a disk to get the machine working again?

Thanks!

By calling Compaq and paying a small fee.

you might
go to the hp website
and look up your
model number.

there will likely be
a wealth of information,
downloads, patches, etc
for it.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. , .

..

"Jeff Neufer"
<[email protected]>

Ken Blake

Jeff said:
I have a Compaq computer that had XP Home preloaded. It is
completely locked up with a CRONIC virus and needs to be completely
reformated. I do not have the XP Home Disk or the Compaq disk that
would have had the OS on it.

How does one go about getting a disk to get the machine working again?

OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to give you a
means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They can do this in one of
three ways:

1. An OEM copy of Windows

2. A restore CD

3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should contact your
vendor to find out.

Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never choose to buy
a computer that came with an operating system unless I got a complete
generic installation CD for that operating system.

Daave

Jeff Neufer said:
I have a Compaq computer that had XP Home preloaded. It is completely
locked
up with a CRONIC virus and needs to be completely reformated.

A clean install is almost always not necessary in your situation. There
are easier and faster ways to deal with your virus.

A Google search turns up nothing for a virus called CRONIC. I assume you
were just using that word as an adjective. What *is* the name of your
virus? What are the symptoms?