    Any ideas what I can do?

    When booting from a dos disk, there is no HD to be seen.... sata?

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Apr 13, 2012

  2. "Sonnich Jensen" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I got a HP/Compaq nc6220 second hand, with the old HD deleted - almost
    > - it boots but fails. Anyway I wanted to install XP on it, and took my
    > previous XP CD,from which it loads (but does not offer to format the
    > HD). At some point it crashes.
    >
    > The nc6220 has a sata HD, I think that is the problem.
    >
    > I also tried some old Win95 and 98 disks - similar result.
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do?
    >
    > When booting from a dos disk, there is no HD to be seen.... sata?

    Look first at what BIOS reports: if BIOS finds no HD, that component
    is defective. Booting via DOS makes FAT-formatted HDs visible
    but cannot see NTFS-formatted drives. (I don't see why DOS should
    fail to see a SATA HD unless partitioned too large.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Apr 13, 2012

  3. Sonnich Jensen

    SC Tom Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > I got a HP/Compaq nc6220 second hand, with the old HD deleted - almost
    > - it boots but fails. Anyway I wanted to install XP on it, and took my
    > previous XP CD,from which it loads (but does not offer to format the
    > HD). At some point it crashes.
    >
    > The nc6220 has a sata HD, I think that is the problem.
    >
    > I also tried some old Win95 and 98 disks - similar result.
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do?
    >
    > When booting from a dos disk, there is no HD to be seen.... sata?
    >
    > Sonnich

    According to these specs http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12130_na/12130_na.PDF it's an ATA-7 hard
    drive (AKA Ultra-ATA/133).

    I would boot from your installation disc and do a new/clean install, formatting the hard drive during the process. Is it
    possible that the drive is faulty?
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Apr 13, 2012
  4. Sonnich Jensen

    BillW50 Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message
    > ... (I don't see why DOS should fail to see a SATA HD unless
    > partitioned too large.)

    XP can't even see a SATA drive without the right SATA driver (Vista/7/8
    can). Although some BIOS has a legacy mode which then should work
    without the SATA driver. This machine doesn't and I need a SATA driver
    before XP install can see it. You can add the SATA driver during booting
    the XP install when you are allowed to press F6.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009

    BillW50, Apr 13, 2012
  5. On Apr 13, 11:52 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "Sonnich Jensen" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi

    > > I got a HP/Compaq nc6220 second hand, with the old HD deleted - almost
    > > - it boots but fails. Anyway I wanted to install XP on it, and took my
    > > previous XP CD,from which it loads (but does not offer to format the
    > > HD). At some point it crashes.

    > > The nc6220 has a sata HD, I think that is the problem.

    > > I also tried some old Win95 and 98 disks - similar result.

    > > Any ideas what I can do?

    > > When booting from a dos disk, there is no HD to be seen.... sata?

    > > Sonnich

    > According to these specs  http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12130_na/12130_na.PDF  it's an ATA-7 hard
    > drive (AKA Ultra-ATA/133).

    hmmm... then why..?

    > I would boot from your installation disc and do a new/clean install, formatting the hard drive during the process. Is it
    > possible that the drive is faulty?

    Could be. I always make a clean install, but this one is more
    troublesome that others.
    It simply starts copying files (to memory?) and at some point simply
    restarts)

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Apr 14, 2012
  6. On Apr 13, 11:48 pm, "Don Phillipson" <> wrote:
    > "Sonnich Jensen" <> wrote in message

    > > I got a HP/Compaq nc6220 second hand, with the old HD deleted - almost
    > > - it boots but fails. Anyway I wanted to install XP on it, and took my
    > > previous XP CD,from which it loads (but does not offer to format the
    > > HD). At some point it crashes.

    > > The nc6220 has a sata HD, I think that is the problem.

    > > I also tried some old Win95 and 98 disks - similar result.

    > > Any ideas what I can do?

    > > When booting from a dos disk, there is no HD to be seen.... sata?

    > Look first at what BIOS reports:  if BIOS finds no HD, that component
    > is defective.   Booting via DOS makes FAT-formatted HDs visible
    > but cannot see NTFS-formatted drives.  (I don't see why DOS should
    > fail to see a SATA HD unless partitioned too large.)

    The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
    HD is ok

    There is not much to set up in the bios...

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Apr 14, 2012
  7. On Apr 14, 12:45 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message

    > > ... (I don't see why DOS should fail to see a SATA HD unless
    > > partitioned too large.)

    > XP can't even see a SATA drive without the right SATA driver (Vista/7/8
    > can). Although some BIOS has a legacy mode which then should work
    > without the SATA driver. This machine doesn't and I need a SATA driver
    > before XP install can see it. You can add the SATA driver during booting
    > the XP install when you are allowed to press F6.

    I tried, but then it asks for a support disk in A:
    I will have to find out whether there is additional drivers for this
    on

    Sonnich Jensen, Apr 14, 2012
  8. Sonnich Jensen

    BillW50 Guest

    > On Apr 14, 12:45 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >> "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message

    >> > ... (I don't see why DOS should fail to see a SATA HD unless
    >> > partitioned too large.)

    >> XP can't even see a SATA drive without the right SATA driver
    >> (Vista/7/8 can). Although some BIOS has a legacy mode which then
    >> should work without the SATA driver. This machine doesn't and I need
    >> a SATA driver before XP install can see it. You can add the SATA
    >> driver during booting the XP install when you are allowed to press
    >> F6.

    > I tried, but then it asks for a support disk in A:
    > I will have to find out whether there is additional drivers for this
    > on

    Yes, it is looking for the driver on a floppy drive.

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2012
  9. On Apr 14, 10:47 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > Sonnich Jensen wrote:
    > > On Apr 13, 11:48 pm, "Don Phillipson" <> wrote:
    > >> "Sonnich Jensen" <> wrote in message

    > >> Look first at what BIOS reports:  if BIOS finds no HD, that component
    > >> is defective.   Booting via DOS makes FAT-formatted HDs visible
    > >> but cannot see NTFS-formatted drives.  (I don't see why DOS should
    > >> fail to see a SATA HD unless partitioned too large.)

    > > The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
    > > HD is ok

    > > There is not much to set up in the bios...

    > > Sonnich

    > Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
    > to Windows for testing.

    Somehow I am - I dont have a linux cd :(

    Sonnich Jensen, Apr 14, 2012
  10. Sonnich Jensen

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:jmba2l$onl$,
    Paul wrote:
    > Sonnich Jensen wrote:
    >> On Apr 13, 11:48 pm, "Don Phillipson" <> wrote:
    >>> "Sonnich Jensen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Look first at what BIOS reports: if BIOS finds no HD, that
    >>> component is defective. Booting via DOS makes FAT-formatted HDs
    >>> visible
    >>> but cannot see NTFS-formatted drives. (I don't see why DOS should
    >>> fail to see a SATA HD unless partitioned too large.)

    >> The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
    >> HD is ok
    >>
    >> There is not much to set up in the bios...
    >>
    >> Sonnich

    > Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
    > to Windows for testing.

    Have you told others yet that Linux Live can toast the Windows install
    on the hard drive if they try it?

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2012
  11. Sonnich Jensen

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4f89d993$-privat.org,
    Hot-Text wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Sonnich Jensen wrote:

    >>> The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
    >>> HD is ok
    >>>
    >>> There is not much to set up in the bios...
    >>>
    >>> Sonnich

    >> Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
    >> to Windows for testing.

    > Paul he say:
    > bios Live setup test..
    >
    > Is not a Linux or a Windows for test..

    Sure he did, at least later. Paul also claims that if the BIOS can't see
    it then the drive is defective too. That isn't true either. As I have
    drives that my BIOS can't see and there are nothing wrong with them. It
    is just the BIOS isn't smart enough to know any better.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2012
  12. Sonnich Jensen

    Paul Guest

    Sonnich Jensen wrote:
    > On Apr 14, 10:47 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Sonnich Jensen wrote:
    >>> The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
    >>> HD is ok
    >>> There is not much to set up in the bios...
    >>> Sonnich

    >> Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
    >> to Windows for testing.

    > Somehow I am - I dont have a linux cd :(

    If you're on dialup, then don't bother with this approach.

    If you have broadband Internet (cable TV modem or ADSL modem), then
    download a CD from here.

    (Take "10.04LTS" version, for the easy to understand user interface.
    The 32 bit version will run on more hardware, if you choose it.
    Many of these downloads, will be in the 700MB size region.)

    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

    There are 500 different Linux distributions, and that is just one
    of them. When 10.04LTS is no longer supported, I will no longer
    be promoting that site.

    I use things like that, mainly for testing, or for special (hacking)
    projects. My regular desktop is not Linux.

    Your laptop, is potentially a "business laptop" and has a TPM chip.
    A previous owner may have installed some kind of security software,
    and TPM can be used to enforce the need for a password, or for
    preventing anything but the original OS from loading.

    There are many more "failure" scenarios for used business laptops, than for
    other laptops. For example, the BIOS of the laptop, could
    do MBR substitution during the boot process, to support more
    than four primary partitions. Only an "IT guy" can keep track
    of stuff like this (fixing business laptops every day).

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 14, 2012