Recovering from serious registry problem

G

I ran a registry cleaning program on my other computer last night. After I rebooted, I got a black screen with the message "Windows could not start because *file path ending with SYSTEM* is missing or corrupt."

Following the instructions at this url: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&Product=winxp
I booted from my Windows XP Upgrade CDROM, and ran the recovery console. I entered the commands listed under Step 1 of the procedure, backing up the existing registry files to a new location, deleting the registry files at their existing location, and then copying the registry files from the repair folder to the system32/config folder.

Now when I reboot, I don't get the corruption error message, but instead a list of modes to choose from. Safe mode, last good configuration, normal, etc. I've tried running them all, none work properly. When I try to run safe mode, I get stuck with a screen full of file paths ("system32\blahblahblah" and such). When I try to run windows normally, I get the loading bar, and then eternal blackness.

I've tried to run "safe mode with cmd line" in order to do a system restore somehow, but that results in frozen blackness too.

Is there anything else I can try or do in this situation, or is reinstalling windows the best option?

Q

Quentin David Jones

Greetings,

You could try a REPAIR install.
(NOT a console repair)

Boot from CD,
follow the install prompts (NOT console)
until it checks for existing Windows

You should get an option to REPAIR the existing Windows intallation,
try that.

Quentin

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If a "Repair Install" does not work, your system files are
likely hopelessly corrupted and you'll need to prepare for a
"Clean Install" of Windows XP.

Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I ran a registry cleaning program on my other computer last night. After I rebooted, I got a black screen
with the message "Windows could not start because *file path ending with SYSTEM* is missing or corrupt."
|
| Following the instructions at this url:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&Product=winxp
| I booted from my Windows XP Upgrade CDROM, and ran the recovery console. I entered the commands listed
under Step 1 of the procedure, backing up the existing registry files to a new location, deleting the registry
files at their existing location, and then copying the registry files from the repair folder to the
system32/config folder.
|
| Now when I reboot, I don't get the corruption error message, but instead a list of modes to choose from.
Safe mode, last good configuration, normal, etc. I've tried running them all, none work properly. When I try
to run safe mode, I get stuck with a screen full of file paths ("system32\blahblahblah" and such). When I try
to run windows normally, I get the loading bar, and then eternal blackness.
|
| I've tried to run "safe mode with cmd line" in order to do a system restore somehow, but that results in
frozen blackness too.
|
| Is there anything else I can try or do in this situation, or is reinstalling windows the best option?

M

markh

Put your windows xp cd into your cdrom and make sure that your cdrom is the
first bootable device in the bios, when the setup comes up choose r to
repair your windows installation

markh

luvmyman34 said:
I can feel for you! I had the same problem last week. Some virus erased my
registry and I got the same "safe mode" screen with the same disk0 blah blah
running the whole way down. I just couldn't start windows. Hopefully you have
a free session left with Microsoft because I was on the pone with them for 1
1/2 hours but they did fix it. There were so many things and commands I had
to do I wouldn't know where to begin but it worked. Tthis is the only
solution Thhhat I can honestly say will work.
Good Luck!
After I rebooted, I got a black screen with the message "Windows could not
start because *file path ending with SYSTEM* is missing or corrupt."I entered the commands listed under Step 1 of the procedure, backing up the
existing registry files to a new location, deleting the registry files at
their existing location, and then copying the registry files from the repair
folder to the system32/config folder.a list of modes to choose from. Safe mode, last good configuration, normal,
etc. I've tried running them all, none work properly. When I try to run
safe mode, I get stuck with a screen full of file paths
("system32\blahblahblah" and such). When I try to run windows normally, I
get the loading bar, and then eternal blackness.reinstalling windows the best option?

Ask a Question