Stop:c0000218{Registry File Failure}registry cannot load the hive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Rex, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Rex

    Rex Guest

    Am running XP Home edition SP2 on toshiba laptop. Started getting black
    screen. Managed to get to point where the laptop is not continuously
    rebooting and managed to log on and check off "restart on failure box". The
    laptop crashed a day later and now gives blue screen error
    "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive
    (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate".

    I do not have floppy drive. I do not have home edition installation setup
    cd or restore installation on laptop. I have managed to get hold of XP
    Professional edition setup disk.
    I have tried to follow instructions on "How to recover from a corrupted
    registry that prevents Windows XP from starting document"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us ) as i can get to the recovery
    console command prompt, but get stuck at part one

    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

    delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

    i get the error message after typing "copy c:\windows\repair\system
    c:\windows\system32\config\system" the system cannot find the file specified.
    If the setup disk id 'd:', what location would the required files be at.

    Can anyone suggest any other fixes. I would like to fix this before it
    needs to go back to uni on sunday.

    Thanks, REX

    Rex, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Rex

    FeMaster Guest

    "Rex" <> wrote in message
    > Am running XP Home edition SP2 on toshiba laptop. Started getting black
    > screen. Managed to get to point where the laptop is not continuously
    > rebooting and managed to log on and check off "restart on failure box".
    > The
    > laptop crashed a day later and now gives blue screen error
    > "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive
    > (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate".
    >
    > I do not have floppy drive. I do not have home edition installation setup
    > cd or restore installation on laptop. I have managed to get hold of XP
    > Professional edition setup disk.
    > I have tried to follow instructions on "How to recover from a corrupted
    > registry that prevents Windows XP from starting document"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us ) as i can get to the
    > recovery
    > console command prompt, but get stuck at part one
    >
    > md tmp
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    >
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >
    > copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >
    > i get the error message after typing "copy c:\windows\repair\system
    > c:\windows\system32\config\system" the system cannot find the file
    > specified.
    > If the setup disk id 'd:', what location would the required files be at.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other fixes. I would like to fix this before it
    > needs to go back to uni on sunday.

    Sounds to me like your "repair" subdirectories are empty. Browse over to
    them and see if they even exist.
    If I recall you will start out Recovery Console at C:\Windows. Is so, type:

    CD repair

    that gets you into the "repair" folder.

    Type: dir /p

    That will list the contents of the repair directory, pausing at each page
    full of information. Look to see if those sub-folders (system, software,
    etc.) are there. If not, give up, you won't get anywhere with that fix. If
    they are there, you can access each one by doing the same thing as before,
    just substituting the next folders' name:

    CD system
    or
    CD software
    etc.

    Look at the contents of those folders and see if anything is in them. If
    they are empty, give up.

    In order to check each folder, you will need to "back out" of the previous.
    Once inside the "system" folder (or any of the others,) to get into one of
    the others to check, you will need to back up to the previous (repair)
    folder first. Do this by typing:

    CD ..\

    Good luck!

    FeMaster, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Rex

    WTC Guest

    Rex wrote:

    > Am running XP Home edition SP2 on toshiba laptop. Started getting
    > black screen. Managed to get to point where the laptop is not
    > continuously rebooting and managed to log on and check off "restart
    > on failure box". The laptop crashed a day later and now gives blue
    > screen error "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry
    > cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or
    > its log or alternate".
    >
    > I do not have floppy drive. I do not have home edition installation
    > setup cd or restore installation on laptop. I have managed to get
    > hold of XP Professional edition setup disk.
    > I have tried to follow instructions on "How to recover from a
    > corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting document"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us ) as i can get to the
    > recovery console command prompt, but get stuck at part one
    >
    > md tmp
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    >
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >
    > copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >
    > i get the error message after typing "copy c:\windows\repair\system
    > c:\windows\system32\config\system" the system cannot find the file
    > specified. If the setup disk id 'd:', what location would the
    > required files be at.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any other fixes. I would like to fix this before
    > it needs to go back to uni on sunday.
    >
    > Thanks, REX

    Hi Rex,

    Use a BartPE Bootable CD to repair your system. Follow the directions
    on how to create a BartPE Bootable CD from their website.Use a working
    Windows 2000/XP/2003 machine to create the Bart PE Bootable CD.

    Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Boot the computer with the BartPE CD.

    This procedure assumes Windows XP is installed on the C Drive.

    Navigate to this folder on your Hard drive:

    c:\windows\system32\config

    Copy the following files to a temp folder, if present:

    system
    software
    sam
    security
    default

    Then delete the above files from "c:\windows\system32\config".

    Navigate to the following folder:

    c:\System Volume
    Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}

    NOTE: "_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}" will have a
    different name on your computer.

    Now there should be folders with names like RP1, RP2, RP3 and so on.
    Open the folder with the highest RP# then open the "Snapshot" folder.

    Copy the following files to "c:\windows\system32\config":

    _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
    _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

    Rename the files in "c:\windows\system32\config""

    Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
    Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
    Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
    Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
    Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

    Reboot the machine and see if you can use Windows.

    --
    William Crawford
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    WTC, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Rex

    Rex Guest

    Re: Stop:c0000218{Registry File Failure}registry cannot load the h

    Thanks femaster and WTC for getting back to me.

    Femaster: I found c:\windows\repair. The system file was system.bak but the
    rest were there; sam, software, security, default. I completed part one of
    the resolution. Restarted the machine, it booted up, got past white
    scrolling loader but recieved error message

    "lsass.exe system error" password error..invalid value provided.

    then it restarted automatically and repeated the cycle. I cannot access the
    F1 safe options. I cannot log on to complete document resolution. I
    couldn't boot from cd drive for a while but have fixed that and am able to
    use the setup cd. I cannot reach the command prompt for recovery as the
    admin password has become invalid and i have no idea what the password could
    be. I have checked MS KB and the document related to the new error is the
    same document i was working from. I cant continue with the docs resolution
    as i cant logon to do part 2. Any ideas??

    WTC: Thus, I am in the process of creating xp boot cd per ur instructions.
    I will update this thread so if can you please keep an eye out incase i have
    problems and need to pic ur brains again. I will be working on this all
    evening to early morn. if you have any other suggestions in the mean time, i
    would appreciate any help you can give.

    Thank you both for responding to me. Happy new year by the way!!

    Rex, Jan 4, 2008