RealPlayer - which version to install?

Bob Adkins

http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html
gives the downloads of all the versions - both old and new.

Which is the best one to use?
I'm running XP Home on a fairly modern computer
but last time I used the RealOne player I couldn't stop it from checking
for updates and throwing up advertising messages.

Someone suggested version G2.
What do you think?
I only want to use it for the BBC Listen Again site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Real Alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Bob

Helen

:
: Which is the best one to use?
: I'm running XP Home on a fairly modern computer
: but last time I used the RealOne player I couldn't stop it
from checking
: for updates and throwing up advertising messages.
:
: Someone suggested version G2.
: What do you think?
: I only want to use it for the BBC Listen Again site:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml
: --
: Chris

Check out the 'options' and SHUT 'em down and use a firewall.
I do and
have no problem. You also have to go to Start/ msconfig (or
whatever the new designer version of your OS
0call-home-version uses),
Win Start and UNcheck Tkbell.exe and ALL references to RP;
that's RP's call home...I don't allow it to start up at
will...It starts whenever I
want to listen to a radio program that ONLY RP can access.
HTH

Helen

donutbandit

Helen said:
Check out the 'options' and SHUT 'em down and use a firewall.
I do and
have no problem. You also have to go to Start/ msconfig (or
whatever the new designer version of your OS
0call-home-version uses),
Win Start and UNcheck Tkbell.exe and ALL references to RP;
that's RP's call home...I don't allow it to start up at
will...It starts whenever I
want to listen to a radio program that ONLY RP can access.

But why install the bloated resource hog to begin with? Real Alternative
works just fine.

support

Chris said:
http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html
gives the downloads of all the versions - both old and new.

Which is the best one to use?
I'm running XP Home on a fairly modern computer
but last time I used the RealOne player I couldn't stop it from checking
for updates and throwing up advertising messages.

Someone suggested version G2.
What do you think?
I only want to use it for the BBC Listen Again site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml
Under W98SE I use Version 6.0.6.122 but as already stated by
others, also uncheck via >View > Preferences so it no longer sits on
the Taskbar and that blessed update notifications.
PS
I also intend. on other PC to install Real Alternative to try it out.

donutbandit

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but from previous readings
I was never quite sure of the answer, and maybe things have changed
by now... with Real Alternative and Media Player Classic installed, can
you stream Real Media from the net, or do you have to download the whole
video before playing it?

It streams just fine.

Chris

I tried Real Alternative on a spare machine - but it didn't seem to
operate as seamlessly. When I clicked on something it popped up a
window asking whether I wanted to save or run. OK - that's no big deal
- and I can live with that if necessary. But I'd rather be as
mainstream as possible - unless there are overwhelming reasons against
it - that's why I'm using Windows instead of Mac ... more people to talk
to!

Chris

Under W98SE I use Version 6.0.6.122 but as already stated by
others, also uncheck via >View > Preferences so it no longer sits on
the Taskbar and that blessed update notifications.
PS
I also intend. on other PC to install Real Alternative to try it out.

I tried it on a spare machine - and wasn't completely convinced.
What did you think?
And can you ever stop all the RealPlayer dialouts etc.
I didn't manage to!
I wonder if Start Up Control Panel would do it?
Has anyone tried that?

support

Chris said:
I tried it on a spare machine - and wasn't completely convinced.
What did you think?
And can you ever stop all the RealPlayer dialouts etc.
I didn't manage to!
I wonder if Start Up Control Panel would do it?
Has anyone tried that?
I have not had time to try Real Alternative yet, but I think it
will be OK, as far as RealMedia is concerned look at the
options as already posted and switch off phone home and
updates there.
PS
later versions are even worse to switch off.

Daniel

I´ve been listening to the BBC with Real Alternative and I should like
to say now that I am very happy with it, indeed.

John Hood

Chris said:

[...]

I have RealAlternatinve installed on about 20 client computers. Not a
peek out of any of them. Plays pretty seamlessly. Link on the site in
my swig line (Shameless plug!).

John Hood
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
Website: John's Best of Freeware: http://home.wi.rr.com/johnhood/freeware/

martinw

The BBC Listen Again site uses their customised Real player that is
built into the webpage.

TW

RealPlayer 10beta the free version is not bad at all.

I'd say RealAlternative. Installed yesterday, no problems.

e-mail modified, take the ** out to reply!

Regards, Ted

kilocycles***@***yahoo.com

Sundog

Daniel said:
I´ve been listening to the BBC with Real Alternative and I should like
to say now that I am very happy with it, indeed.

I can't use it with the BBC because I get an error "File compression not
supported.
Cannot locate the required decoder." What is it called and where to find
it. Am using
Win2K sp3.

TIA

Sd

dansheen

I haven't tried the BBC but I've only had success with real alternative
using the version of media player that came with it instead of the newest
ones. I also can only get it to work using Mozilla and not Slimbrowser.
You might try mozilla with the older version of the player.

peter

--> I haven't tried the BBC but I've only had success with real alternative
--> using the version of media player that came with it instead of the newest
--> ones. I also can only get it to work using Mozilla and not Slimbrowser.
--> You might try mozilla with the older version of the player.
-->
I can listen to the BBC (well BBC Sportsound) no problems using real
alternative - media player classic 6.4.7.5 - windows xp IE 6

Peter