Windows XP Re:External Hard Drive problem

Reaction score
Hello All, have a problem, i usually Ghost onto my external hard drive. it always chose Drive G.

Went to Ghost today, it does not use G: drive.

It is a 40GB USB2 external hard drive, never had any problems before with it, just does not recognise it in G anymore. It has changed to N:Drive by itself. Turned the computer off, changed usb posts, refreshed it, still the same.

It's a Packard Bell 40GB ext H/D, model no:MS-25U2 XP media centre PC SP2. 2x200GB H/Drive

One of the options in disk management is change drive letter assignment. Once in disk management highlight the drive in question> Action> all tasks> change drive letter.

G is free, went to Change it in Disc management, only goes up from N to Z. A - M do not show.
Cannot change from N to G no choice, and the browse are greyed out as well as other options.

Just had a look at a program i have called Tweak, it showed that i had unticked it, drives N to Z. I have Ticked it again, apply, but still not showing.

Probably Tweak has permently erased all above N:

I do not wish to do a Restore of any kind.

I do have a Win Pro 1 disc as my computer is windows media have not got the 2nd disc, if this info is any use.

I can read the N: Drive by going into Disc Management and choosing explore, but, its the hard way.

Is there a way either to, 1) get N: to reappear in My Computer or 2) Change it to G:

What can i do please?

Thanks, GEP

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I would say not to use a external drive as a backup drive when using anything like Ghost or Acronis ... external drive letters will change on the fly.

Example, if you are using one hard disk with one partition and one CD-ROM, typically, your hard disk is drive C, and your CD-ROM is drive D. However, if you add a new hard disk, your CD-ROM drive letter may/will change to E. After a drive letter on your computer changes, programs that are configured to locate information on a specific drive may not work properly, and may need to be reinstalled.

External drives will take up the first available drive letter that is free to use ... add a USB pen/stick and it will be allocated drive letter F, if using the scenario above ... now add another USB drive and it will be allocated drive letter G ... remove both drives and add them in revers order, G will become F.

A little hard for me to explain, but that's the way it has always worked ... this may help;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282530

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

:user:

gep

Reaction score
Hello Muckshifter, looks like i am stumped. Don't wish to do a Restore, so, will leave it as it is. Drive N.
The only to get to it is through disk management.

Thanks for your help, GEP

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If Tweak is causing the problem un-installing and re-installing it may solve the problem . This is a guess by the way but may be worth a try .

user.gif

gep

Reaction score
Hello Abarbarian and all, tried by normal uninstall, and through safe mode to Remove Tweak, but, a script error comes up and whatever i chose in Normal, or Safe mode i cannot delete the program.

How do i get rid?

By deleting its folder in C:??

Thanks, GEP

gep

Reaction score
Re:Tweak

Hello Abarbarian, i have version 2.10.0.0

Just found out that even if i removed Tweak, it will not restore my drives.

So, will just have to get on with it.

Thanks, GEP

Last edited:

Ask a Question