re CalcPlus - FREE from Microsoft.

Yabbadoo

Don't want to be critical, BUT ....
Have downloaded CalcPlus - released Sept 2004 !!
Includes Currency Convertor, European currencies to Euro ??? That's already
YEARS out of date - "local" European currencies don't exist any more, have
been obsolete about 5 years, when the Euro became standard currency for them
all !!
This function has no current usage whatsoever. (Correction - just one - for
audit/review of years-old European accounts in fraud or similar
investigation, to value in "todays" currency). Limited market, I would have
thought!

Like the other convertor, though ... but again, there's a blip. Fuel in UK
is sold by the litre, so it would have been helpful to have had a "miles per
litre" convertor, too (piece of cake to add).

Other than that, it's not bad. However, have I a suspicious mind, or was
this an insidious way to install a validation tool for Bill to peek into my
pc by the back door ??

Len

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

From the website:

Notice: This application is free and is distributed "as is", with no
obligations or technical support from Microsoft Corporation.

It's essentially a power toy and not supported and offered "as is."

johnf

Yes, you have a suspicious mind - sorry to disagree; but 5 years? Where did
you get that from? That was about the period they started to bounce around
the idea of having a common currency (in countries that agreed to comply).
Also, I'm afraid you haven't taken in the phasing-in period.
I receive a part Dutch pension each month for the 10 year period I worked
there; Holland & most other Euro countries only completely changed over to
Euros abt 2 years ago.
It's extremely convenient if you want to work out how many 'Euros" you were
receiving in a previous period, as it gives a comparison between your past
incomes & also resolves the E/R difficulties.
Note - the Dutch banks not only posted monthly statements for 12 months
after the changeover with my income listed in both NLG (Guilders) & Euros,
but also the variation between the two.

johnf

I was in Europe when OZ converted measurements to metric & it always
puzzled me as to why that volume measurement was adopted here, but it's
really no great mental calculation to convert, as most people are capable of
dividing by 10.
But why OZ adoped mm instead of cm (as used in all of Europe,) still has me
beat.
If I want buy a piece of timber for example,It's (to me) easier to quickly
mesure something and say I need a piece roughly 24.6 cm long (instead of
2455 mm) - I just can't mentally visualise such a large no. as a specific
size - especially when you drive all the way to the shop & accidently leave
your piece of paper behind.
Perhaps it's just me. I don't know.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

johnf said:
I was in Europe when OZ converted measurements to metric & it always
puzzled me as to why that volume measurement was adopted here, but
it's really no great mental calculation to convert, as most people
are capable of dividing by 10.
But why OZ adoped mm instead of cm (as used in all of Europe,) still
has me beat.
If I want buy a piece of timber for example,It's (to me) easier to
quickly mesure something and say I need a piece roughly 24.6 cm long
(instead of 2455 mm) - I just can't mentally visualise such a large
no. as a specific size - especially when you drive all the way to the
shop & accidently leave your piece of paper behind.
Perhaps it's just me. I don't know.

mm is in step with the scientific and engineering communities.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Yabbadoo

Colin, it's an XP add-on which insists on installing an XP "legal
verification" tool before allowing installation
Also a follow-up on a previous post (which was in "hardware" group)
This prog ain't hardware, but "verification" issue surely is basic XP
Len..

Colin Barnhorst said:
What has this to do with XP? This is a Windows XP newsgroup.

Yabbadoo said:
[...]

David Candy

It is SI measurement with some minor modifications. There is no cm in SI.
Weights and Measures (National Standards) Amendment
Act 1984 (No. 77), most units of measurement used in Australia are those of the International System of Units (Système international d'unités, abbreviated 'SI').

Also note MICROSOFT. We use spaces not commas. ALL WINDOWS VERSIONS get Australia wrong.

is 1 million not 1,000,000. Plus you can skip the separator on 4 digit numbers.
AS1000-1979, Metric Conversion board 1974. Australian Govt Style Manual ed 3, 4, 5, and 6.

This is because some of those stupid europeans use commas as decimal point. So we removed commas from our number system.

See Chapter 10 and 11
http://www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing/style_manual (I used to own this book but I've not been able to find it in years - I'll have to wait to inheirit me mums)

[Who will bug this?]

David Candy

PS. I comfortable with metric or imperial but not US Imperial (They made the gallon smaller so a politician could win an election - they weigh people in pounds only). However for people I use foot-inch and stone-pound. I am 6' and 12 stone (well it's been years so perhaps between 11 and 12 st). I also have no idea what fuel consumption is. I need that in imperial as well.

http://www.uscricket.com
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message It is SI measurement with some minor modifications. There is no cm in SI.
[...]

It doesn't insist.

Validate Windows and obtain the download

Yes, please validate Windows and take me to the download. (If an ActiveX dialog box appears, please click Yes.)

No, do not validate Windows at this time, but take me to the download.

Even where it sys you MUST validate (on some downloads) you can always get it.
http://www.uscricket.com

Yabbadoo said:
[...]

I can't see the point. What on earth does "scientific and engineering
communities" have to do with the average person??

Yabbadoo

http://www.takefive.ie/euro/timetable.htm substantiates my point re timing
of CalcPlus release.
Euro introduced, rates irrevocably fixed 1 Jan 1999 (Business - Euro
accounts, cross-border invoices in Euros started).
1 Jan 2002 - Euro notes/coins circulated.
9 Feb 2002, Euro the official currency, local currencies no longer legal
tender.
CalcPlus released Sept 2004. The currency convertor tool relevant to the
period 1/1/199 - 9/2/2002, but useless since then as "local" currencies
don't exist - exception being , for audit of historic accounts - a limited
and diminishing end-use.

Since "exchange rate" was a fixed rate, difficult to see how your Dutch bank
could issue dual-currency statements showing a "variance" between NLG and
Euro, it should have shown 2 columns with the difference between the two
being constant (divide NLG figure by Euro figure, answer should be the same
for every line, = the fixed exchange rate).

As a calculator, CalcPlus is pretty good, has some very nice features, just
a pity about this superfluous/redundant one.

My main point was the need to install an XP verification tool to download it
(not a problem for legal users, just yet more disk space used up
unnecessarily - why couldn't it just verify on-line?)

Sincerely, Len

johnf

Agree completely with that. Re your previous post, usually in Western
Europe, 1,000,000 is displayed as 1.000.000.
whereas 1.50 becomes 1,50
Takes a bit of getting used to.

I think I mentioned this ages ago in a post, but I think it's worth
repeating -

During the war, when Sydney was invaded by Yanks, they were amazed that the
OZ mechanics were able to improve the petrol consumption by a considerable
amoumt.
They never woke up that the Imperial gallon was larger than the U.S. gallon.

--

johnf

Frank Saunders said:
mm is in step with the scientific and engineering communities.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

Yabbadoo

Yeah, it's a pain. Educated guess is that timber is now priced by volume
(cubic metre) because most timber is imported. Freight/storage costs are
sometimes charged by volume for non-standard (non-containerised) freight.
Just a guess (but why OZ should use mm i/o cm is a different question).
There again, could just be Brussels imposing a useless directive (again).
Me, I still work in feet and inches, and work out metric from that, to buy -
much easier!.

Len

johnf

http://www.takefive.ie/euro/timetable.htm substantiates my point re
timing of CalcPlus release.

Um, knowledge & research is usually found more reliable than just a link to
some Irish (of all things) link.
Euro introduced, rates irrevocably fixed 1 Jan 1999 (Business - Euro
accounts, cross-border invoices in Euros started).

Sorry, I have bank invoices to back up my statement.
What the 'irrevocably fixed date' says & when it was actually brought into
practice are two different things.
In Europe, everthing has to be accepted to and agreed to by each country;
then that country decides from what date it's valid.
1 Jan 2002 - Euro notes/coins circulated.

OK, what happened between 1999 & 2002 - it sort of adds credence to my
previous point. Conflict in agreement between some countries - no currency
issued, until everyone is in agreement.
9 Feb 2002, Euro the official currency, local currencies no longer legal
tender.
CalcPlus released Sept 2004. The currency convertor tool relevant to the
period 1/1/199 - 9/2/2002, but useless since then as "local" currencies
don't exist - exception being , for audit of historic accounts - a
limited and diminishing end-use.

Since "exchange rate" was a fixed rate, difficult to see how your Dutch
bank could issue dual-currency statements showing a "variance" between
NLG and Euro, it should have shown 2 columns with the difference
between the two being constant (divide NLG figure by Euro figure,
answer should be the same for every line, = the fixed exchange rate).

OK, I go along with that - I should have said that the NLG was worth X
Euros, (a typo) - but the still appeared side by side on invoices for over
12 months.

Yabbadoo

David, I'm legal. Once downloaded, installing it required pre-installation
of the verification tool. At least that was what I understood (and did).
There's no stated (or obvious) option to install the download without
verification tool.
That's yet more junk on my hard disk, for no apparent purpose (doesn't
Windows Update also perform verification check, since SP1?)
OK - if you insist it isn't necessary - how do I uninstall this verification
tool? What's the file name?
Sincerely, Len

Yabbadoo said:
[...]

Yes, unfortunately I still think in ft & inches, then convert.
Funnily enough, if you go to a hospital or similar and are asked your
height, I always say 5'10' - "Good thank you", they say.

My first experience on returning was to ask for prices for some carpet.
"Well, it's 12' wide & $X/metre". That set me back for a bit until I
realised that all the carpet equipment here was still set up to produce 12'
broadloom. It was a learning curve for a bit.

David Candy

Well you choose Yes not No.

It's an active X control so Start Control Panel - Internet Options - General - Settings - View Objects

http://www.uscricket.com