Question about Ethernet NIC Setting

Reaction score
Windows XP sp2
Realtek 8139 Fast Ethernet

Hii. My question is in reference to Device Manager, Network Adaptors, Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, Advanced Tab, Optimal Performance. Optimal Performance is Disabled by default. I would like to know what the advantage is (if any ) by Enabling it. I did a Google search and only found 1 querry where someone asked the same question but was never answered. I did Enable it but am not sure if anything changed or not. Thanks in advance for any replies.

(If this post is not in the appropriate newsgroup I apologize)

Reaction score
Hi, again. Since I haven't gotten any replies I thought that my original post might not be clear so Ill try to restate my question a little clearer. I have a broadband internet connection. I open Control Panel then open Administrative Tools. Next, open Computer Management. In the left pane open Device Manager. In the right pane open Network Adaptors. Double click Realtek 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Click on the Advanced Tab. The fourth item on the list is Optimal Performance. Optimal Performance appears to be disabled by default. I was wondering what is gained by enabling it. I did enable it but am unsure if I notice any change in surfing speed or any other related issue. My main interest is what this setting does. I have my internet connection tweaked using the program TCP Optimizer. Thanks for any replies. I have a HP Desktop PC w/1GB ram and 120GB hard drive running Windows XP sp2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same question

I don't think anyone is asking about these settings unless it pertains to malfunctioning, i also would to know what the best setting for the right click properties are of this realtek connecter, smart card or that other one, i cannot find any info about its setup and had to reset everything to default at system recovery, but have no idea what the setup was that the technician used when he ran the cable line to it. I dont think he changed anything but it seems to be working no differently than it was. Maybe i will try Realtek site.

Reaction score
It won't hurt anything to enable the optimal performance setting of your nic except it will command more cpu resources. Setting or enabling optimal performance will increase your network speed.

Reaction score
Hi, Prince Fluffy. Thanks for your reply. My original post was so long ago that I completely forgot about it. This is my 3rd computer since my original post and now have Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. The setting that I asked about doesn't exist with my current network adapter. Again, your reply was appreciated.
Mark

Ask a Question