Program Description: XanaNews

Dan Goodman

Category: Newsreader
Program Name: XaNanews
Author: Colin Wilson
Ware description: Freeware

The author has, several times, killed bugs within a day.

I find XaNanews much easier to use than any other newsreader I've tried
recently. Your mileage may vary, of course.

From the website:

XanaNews is a free, powerful, fully featured newsreader for Windows 98,
Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Version 1.17.6.5 released 26th September 2005. Please see the readme
file for details of what's new.

I wrote XanaNews because I wanted a powerful but easy to use newsreader
- and I needed the source, so I could add new features, and fix the
bugs. But no one would be daft enough to write a newsreader and make
the source available - until now!

Here's what it does so far...

Support for Multiple News (NNTP) Servers.

Multiple threaded engine. Supports three threads per news server so
you can simultaneously download group lists, message headers and
messages for multiple servers.

Threaded multicolumn tree message display. Display messages in thread
or chronological order. Sort threads or messages by date, size, author
or subject.

Displays NNTP and MIME images inline, building them up as they arrive.

Save images and other binary attachments.

Powerful message deleting feature. Delete messages that don't match
your criteria.

Threads that contain messages to you are displayed highlighted.

Intelligent resume/cancel button. When it's red you can cancel the
selected operation. When it's green you can resume after network
failures, and when it's grey you can't click it!

Batch mode. Define batches of message retrieval operations. A single
batch can work across multiple newsgroups - even on multiple servers!

Both images and other binary attachments can now be saved.

Powerful configurable message filters can be created for individual
newsgroups, or all newsgroups on a server.

Decode UUE, Base64 and yEncoded messages.

SSL Support

Supports posting multiple attachments

Integrates with ISpell spell checker.

POP3 E-Mail reading capability.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/

Roger Johansson

Dan said:
Category: Newsreader
Program Name: XaNanews
I find XaNanews much easier to use than any other newsreader I've tried
recently. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I used it for a couple of months, then I had to restore the C drive
so I guess the registry settings for Xananews were lost.

It could not restore them on its own, so I tried reinstalling over
itself, then I lost the messages.

So I stopped using it, because I want to keep a copy of all
articles I write.

So my view on Xananews, a very nice program to work with,
but don't rely on it to keep your messages for you.

I have stopped using several programs for the same reason.
Only Agent was perfectly safe, I could always count on it
to preserve my stored messages, and I could sort, select and
write messages to a text file as I wanted.

Most news-mail program writers do not see the stored messages
as valuable data which have to be stored in an open format,
and must be able to reopen message bases from an older installation.

The Bat, excellent program, but throws away all messages unretrievably
when it isn't happy.

Dialog, same problem.

badgolferman

Roger said:
I used it for a couple of months, then I had to restore the C drive
so I guess the registry settings for Xananews were lost.

It could not restore them on its own, so I tried reinstalling over
itself, then I lost the messages.

The messages were not lost. They were still on your machine. Surely
you knew where the messagebase was kept. It would have been simple to
save the archived messages. Did you try to get help from the support
fotum?

badgolferman

Dan said:
The author has, several times, killed bugs within a day.

I find XaNanews much easier to use than any other newsreader I've
tried recently. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Yes, I tried all the newsreaders before settling on this one. I am
impressed with it's ease of use, configureability, and speed with
text-based groups. I'll admit Xnews is faster and more stable on
binary groups though.

Dan Goodman

Roger said:
I used it for a couple of months, then I had to restore the C drive
so I guess the registry settings for Xananews were lost.

It could not restore them on its own, so I tried reinstalling over
itself, then I lost the messages.

So I stopped using it, because I want to keep a copy of all
articles I write.

I don't. And what I want to keep, I export as text.

Mileage sure varies....

--

badgolferman said:
Yes, I tried all the newsreaders before settling on this one. I am
impressed with it's ease of use, configureability, and speed with
text-based groups. I'll admit Xnews is faster and more stable on
binary groups though.

Since I don't use binary groups, this is something I wouldn't have been
likely to know about.

From: "Dan Goodman" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Program Description: XanaNews
Date: 15 Oct 2005 18:17:10 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

Xananews has been upgraded to 1.17.6.5. It's worth the download.

Roger Johansson

badgolferman said:
Xananews has been upgraded to 1.17.6.5. It's worth the download.

Where and how are messages stored, and in what format?

Does it save messages in chronological order in big text
files which you can read with a text editor?

What possibilities are there to search, sort and select, and print
messages to text file?

If I want all messages sent during august in a text file in
chronological order, showing only the 3 most important headers for each
message, I need Agent, or free agent.

Or does xananews do that?

badgolferman

Roger said:
Where and how are messages stored, and in what format?

File--Move Messagebase. You will see where they are. You can even
move them where you want to.
Does it save messages in chronological order in big text
files which you can read with a text editor?
Yes.

What possibilities are there to search, sort and select, and print
messages to text file?

File--Export selected Articles
If I want all messages sent during august in a text file in
chronological order, showing only the 3 most important headers for
each message, I need Agent, or free agent.

Or does xananews do that?

I don't know. You can ask in the forum.

Dan Goodman