New release - Newsproxy v1.2.4

akula

Note - Followup-To: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified please.

NewsProxy gains several header generation and control options, better
multiple news server support and a few UI tweaks. The headers on this
message are run through a slightly modified version of NewsProxy v1.2.4,
specifically the Message-ID, Date and Path headers are synchronized and
the Message-ID can cryptographically be verified to be mine.

The details on how to use NewsProxy's header controls are available on
request from me, and they are also documented in the source code file
headers.c

If you are using v1.2.3, this version can simply be copied over the
old one.

Feature requests are welcome. I left out a few features from this build
due to my health problems, but I'm still working on them as much as I can.
I intend to do only one additional update before a major rewrite, and then
only as my health permits.
--
413 kB, 3356 lines.
alt.binaries.freeware

The source code is commented and explains how to use features not documented
below.

NewsProxy v1.2.4 Release Notes 2006-07-29

NewsProxy is a universal usenet filtering and posting header control tool.
It can filter out unwanted messages through pattern matching and scoring.
For help with filter expressions, see Google's newsgroups archive,
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=nfilter.dat+example&num=100&scoring=d

This release is mostly a tweak of the v1.2.3 release, making it easier to set
up for multiple news servers.

NewsProxy does not need an installer. You can simply extract the *.exe and
run it. It will create a *.ini file to store its configuration. You can
optionally add a text file called nfilter.dat (the default name, you can
call it whatever you like) with filter expressions.

For more help, see http://www.nfilter.org/ - not maintained, but still
pertinent.

If you are having problems, turn on all of the debugging options and
look at both the main dialog box and the debug.log file.

Not all servers supply all headers in the overview. The Xref header
is the most reliable one for filtering out spam and unwanted crossposts.

Changes from v1.2.3

1.. Major addition - you can specify the configuration
file on the commandline. This makes it much easier to
set up multiple filtered server connections.

Create a Windows shortcut and change the Properties->Shortcut->Target from
~~~
C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe
~~~
~~~
C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe -f"C:\bin\nps-124\Altopia.ini"
~~~
You can set up additional shortcuts for different config files.
Each configuration _must_ listen at a different port and the
newsreader must connect to 127.0.0.1 at the corresponding port.
I recommend using #119, for example, port 2119 for your second
server, 3119 for your third and so on.

2.. Always On Top option.

3.. Dropped Articles dialog can be resized.

4.. Other minor UI tweaks.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

So what ? He asked for a download URL. Not a message ID. The download
URL is ..... ?

The download URL is
<
Clicking the URL won't work unless your default newsserver carries
alt.binaries.freeware.

Vrodok the Piglet lover

Once Upon A Time (on or around Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:36:53 +1000), in
by way of said:
So what ? He asked for a download URL. Not a message ID. The download
URL is ..... ?

Does "not (at present time) hosted on a web site" make any impression?

Yrrah

John Fitzsimons said:
If there
isn't a download URL I guess I will pass on it then. If nobody thinks
it is good enough to host then it can't be worth having.

I always thought freeware authors would like to share their products
with as many users as possible. Not everyone hass access to binaries
though. There are a lot of freeware sites which will host software if
it's genuine and not too bad freeware, so I wonder too why in this
case they don't. A bit fishy, isn't it?

Yrrah

akula

Yrrah said:
I always thought freeware authors would like to share their products
with as many users as possible. Not everyone hass access to binaries
though. There are a lot of freeware sites which will host software if
it's genuine and not too bad freeware, so I wonder too why in this
case they don't.

I suffer from several chronic ailments and it's been a struggle
just to release this update. Your comments are inaccurate in
this case but I'm not interested in arguing with you.
A bit fishy, isn't it?
The complete, ready to compile Visual C++ project workspace is
included in nps-124-src.zip - there is nothing 'fishy' lurking
inside. I'll answer questions about it in
~~~
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified
~~~
if there is something you don't understand.

Susan Bugher

akula said:
I suffer from several chronic ailments and it's been a struggle
just to release this update.

Hi akula,

In light of previous favorable comments about Newsproxy in ACF it seems
desirable to have the download easily available to everyone.

I've taken the libery of uploading your program to alt.comp.freeware's
web site and now ask you to give ACF your permission to host it. If you
object it will be removed ASAP.

The link is:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Programs/nps-124.zip

As always, I also request comments/permission from other ACF participants.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

akula

Susan Bugher said:
Hi akula,

In light of previous favorable comments about Newsproxy in ACF it seems
desirable to have the download easily available to everyone.

I've taken the libery of uploading your program to alt.comp.freeware's
web site and now ask you to give ACF your permission to host it. If you
object it will be removed ASAP.

The link is:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Programs/nps-124.zip

As always, I also request comments/permission from other ACF participants.
The GPL v2 sets forth all of the conditions that apply to NewsProxy v1.2.x,
my permission isn't required. As far as I am concerned you may do what you
please with it.

Chris Dubea

Hi akula,

In light of previous favorable comments about Newsproxy in ACF it seems
desirable to have the download easily available to everyone.

I've taken the libery of uploading your program to alt.comp.freeware's
web site and now ask you to give ACF your permission to host it. If you
object it will be removed ASAP.

The link is:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Programs/nps-124.zip

As always, I also request comments/permission from other ACF participants.

Susan

Thanks Susan. My usenet provider doesn't echo binaries and I'm a
faithful user of nFilter and wanted to take a look at this.

Chris

Susan Bugher