Processor Fan

Reaction score
oh im thick. was internet explorer not reloading page!

got anywhere with the removing of the cooler?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Naaaa, its on way too hard, im putting on enough force to lift up the whole computer by the heatsink nearly.

I guess ill just have to have breaks every now and then to let it kool down if im playing processor hungry games like Far Cry and Painkiller :(.

Reaction score
is it actually overheating then?? i mean if its an "off the shelf" PC ESPEcIALLY dell - the last thing youd expect is heat problems!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
well its actually a user (me) being over consious.

The day it overheated, i installed and played 2 bigass games (UT2004, Far Cry), deleted over 2-3 gigs worth of movies, scan disc, defragged and the comp was on from 9am till around 11pm.

Its just because it done it that once, its gonna keep playing on my mind! im worse than Monica from Friends when those shoes are left in her living room :p.

What makes it worse though, there is no temprature gauge in the bios, so i cant check out what temprature the system alarm is set as to go off :(.

Is there any other way i can check the temprature without having to buy one of them LCD thinkgy-ma-jigs?

Reaction score
Download motherboard monitor 5 - maybe it has support for your motherboard monitoring chip?

What motherboard does your comp have? maybe get an updated bios for it?

Motherboard readings also have been known to read anything up to 10 degrees higher than they should - because they use some kind of equation thing.

try MBM 5 first - see if that works

Reaction score
pentium 4's dont run hot either - you have a 800mhz one i assume?

i had a hell of a problem TRYING to overheat mine when it was overclocked even!

there was no way it was going to overheat no matter what i did with it with the standard cooler and speeds - and you say yours is a bigass Dell one?

do you have a rear case fan? clear cables away from around the HS fan maybe?

dosent opening a Dell PC invalidate the warranty?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I dont think you've seen a Dell fan setup then.

The fan isnt directly on top of the heatsink, its clipped onto the back of the case, there a big piece of plastic that vents the fan straight to the heatsink, so its blowing cold air onto the heatsink instead of using the already warm/hot-air inside the case.

Theres some pictures on the link below of a simulaur model, not exact, but close enough.
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/hsf_tt_p4_spark7/index.shtml

Last edited:
Reaction score
They still use that method then!

the old dell machine i was talking about used that method - i assumed it was only that way because it was a slot processor compared to a chip one.

Well the picture on the site looks like Dell use a thermal pad - just like intel stock cooler. did you try removing the heatsink straight after you turned off your computer running something CPU intensive? That would see if heat plays a part in all this sticking to business...

Reaction score
i have also just noticed that the dell stock cooler has a little tab that sticks out to the side?

does that play any part in it?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm glad to see im not the only one with this problem then ;).

i thought i was being a real noob :p.

Reaction score
haha! Well if you find the hairdryer maybe that could help but to be honest i doubt you need a new heatsink anyway! try for the bios update?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've read that Dell tend to keep ontop of there updates when there dispatching new computers, do i doubt there is one out.

Also, i dont know the make of my mobo, and the Dell isnt on the net, so its way too much hassle.

Reaction score
Then i would say just leave it as it is then mate...sounds like your not having many problems at all so just dont worry about it. It would be Dell's fault if it did overheat although it sounds like you broke the warranty void if removed sticker...

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
well i didnt break any stickers or owt, if that what you mean :S.

But as you know, Dell dont mind that you upgrade the systems you buy from them, they even give you a manual that tell you how to upgrade everything on the computer! But they'll only repair what was theres if it breaks.

Reaction score
oh right...has changed since the dimension series then!!

open the case and warranty is void jobby!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Mines a Dimension +_- !

Maybe they've realised that people dont wanna have to buy a whole new comp, just a processor for instance! and its probably helped there sales by letting people do so. If you go to there site they sell hardware like HDD's, Memory, PSUs that you have to fit yourself!

Reaction score
oh...the older dimensions then

Think it is because installing components has become so much easier maybe...

are the dell components reasonably priced?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hell no, they were charging £105 for 2 sticks of Samsung 256DDR (PC2700) ram !

Which can be bought from other sites for half! Amazing how that can get away with things like that, because if you've just bought from dell, then want to upgrade, you might think you have no choice but to go to dell and fork out all that dough!

Trading standards ^^ go get em ----------------->>>>>

Ask a Question