Processor Fan

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good Pentium 4 fan? I need some to own a P4 or to have owned one and tell me how they got on with there fan.

I need one, cos me mobo processor over heating alarm has gone off a few times, so i think its time for an upgrade.

Reaction score
you can buy the stock fan/bracket/heatsink again if your not an overclocker from aria.co.uk for cheap but if you overclock i reccoment the thermalright SP-94 - i have one of these and its awesome.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its not too loud is it?

My computer runs nearly silent, you cant hear anything (virtually), and i dont wanna spoil it with a loud fan.

Reaction score
the standard fan is not loud at all

the SP-94 comes as a bare heatsink - you choose what fan you put on it whether its a 92mm vantec tornado or an 80mm ystech silent fan

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The SP-94 is a good heatsink, I have the AMD version, the SP-97.

If you're worried about fan noise, as well as the YS-Tech suggested by Chistopherpostill, you could also consider the Vantec 80mm stealth fan, virtually silent, or low noise fans from Pabst & Panaflo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
if you want to spend some more money why not invest in a fan controller - you could have a medium loud fan and have it on low so its silent when on desktop or higher when gaming :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well the one you 2 mentioned is just a heatsink on its own when i look for it. I really cant be bothered to be messing around, so i just want a heatsink with a fan attached to it, now messing around, no probs :D.

Theres one in particular that has taken my eye, i think im gonna get it if theres no major probs about it that anyone knows of. Its a Cooler Master AERO 4 Pure Copper Cooler ( http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=120136&cks=PRL ).

It looks nice, and comes with an external 3 1/2" fan controller. It sounds as if it would keep my processor cool, it says it for 3.2Ghz and above!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What they say they're suitable for and what they can actually do are often two completely different things.

But yes, that aerocooler should do the job, but the SP-94 heatsink & fan combo would probably do a better job.

Why the reluctance for seperate fan? It's really easy to fit, just two clips.

Also, if the fan should die, with that aerocooler you'd have to throw away the whole shebang away whereas with a clip on fan you just replace the fan.

Worth thinking about, perhaps? Maybe? ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i think the aero cooler will work out to be cheaper. Because i get a fan contoller aswell (which i want).

if i got that heatsink, a fan and a fan controller i think it would be more. But thanks anyway ;).

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Yes, i've read on a few forums and web sites that its not silent, but its far from loud. And with the controller i guess i choose how loud i want it to be. In genral use it will be pretty low, but when gaming it will be to the max, which i wont care about because the noise from the game will blank out the sound. So its a win win situation ;).

Reaction score
do you overclock your PC at all?

if not then surely the standard intel coolers would be your best bet - dead easy to fit, good temps and dirt cheap!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I dont overclock, but i play all the latest games like a mofo. So its gotta be putting alot of strain on me processor. its better to be safe than sorry.

Also, i tried removing the current heat sink with no success. I put a decent amout on pull on it, but it wouldnt budge. I've made sure there are no clips/screws or anthing else holding it down, but it just wont budge. Would this be the conductive paste used? I dont wanna pull too hard :( but im getting no where! Any tips? like would it be easy cold/hot?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
i see no "black legs". All i want to know is, Is it easyier to remove a stuck heatsink when the processer is hot or cold?

Reaction score
Is it the standard Intel cooler - if so, it uses a thermal pad and no adhesive. i got mine off to fit my SP94 no problems - you are sure that it is the actual heatsink sticking to the CPU and not any retention clips holding it back right?

i would assume hot would be easier as it wouls liquify?

another tip, before re-applying, get a school eraser and run the surface of the P4 chip with it. its the best way to get of any thermal paste/pad thats stuck on. also get some arctic silver 3 or 5 and put some on the base of the new heatsink then rub it off with a lint free cloth - the AS gets into the minute gaps and makes for better heat transfer.

chris

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its not the standard one Intel give with the P4. It a bigass dell one, the fools seemed to have glued it on!

Reaction score
Maybe it is one of their techniques that they use now to make it un upgradable !

if it is thermal adhesive then you really don't want to tug on it because you will either break the motherboard or rip the heatsprader off the CPU itself. look down the side of the cooler for any tebs that you may need to push in to unhook it - i know dell do use some weird methods!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
what other weird methods do they use? I gotta keep an eye out for them!

Reaction score
Well my family had a 1999 dell dimension XTS700 or something like that - an old P3 700MHz

anyway i opened it up this year (been laying around doing nothing for ages) and the graphics card was screwed into the chassis so tight and in such a weird place that it was actually impossible to remove it!

Ask a Question