What's the chance the CPU has died?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I am troubleshooting an old(er) PC, was originally an e-machines. It has a Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU, and will not start. I first tried swapping out the PSU, after smelling a strange smell coming from the PSU, but the result was exactly the same. (After later examining the PSU innards there are no visible signs of anything amiss.) Fans spin up (sometimes this includes the CPU fan, sometimes it does not) but no other life. No HDD spin, no CD/DVD activity. Holding down the power button for 5 secs (standard action which all mobos should recognize... this one did previously) does NOTHING.

So in short, I think the mobo's gone. My question is, with not knowing why the mobo has 'gone', what are the chances of the CPU being intact? I only ask as I was simply going to swap the CPU into one of my other machines, to test it, then realised that this CPU (in the faulty PC) is 478.... damn. No 478 machines here.

So I don't want to waste money on a mobo if the CPU's dead.

Some extra facts... I think these fall in my favour, pointing to the mobo itself dying on it's own... a) about a year ago the CPU fan header packed in, the CPU fan had to be connected to the sys fan header and the sys fan to a Molex.

b) All the PS/2 ports just died six months ago, had to use USB mouse & keyboard.

So can anyone with more experience give their opinion?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have considered all the evidence before me m'lud and would recommend this court recognise that the motherboard died through natural causes. Let that be on the record but with a proviso that an open verdict is returned at the inquest until the motherboard's partner, Mr CPU, aligns himself with a new partner.

Or in short - with it's history I'd be 95% certain it's the motherboard at fault.

CPU's rarely die if kept cool enough whereas motherboards dying is a common occurence.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, without actually 'testing' either MB or CPU no one can say for sure.

E-Machines ain't what I would call cutting edge, fact is. I would call them something else. :D

Unless you can find a free replacment MB, I wouldn't bother trying to look for a replacment CPU. My thoughts would be on the MB being dead, P4s are/were pretty robust.

Bottom line ... don't think it will even make a good door-stop. ;)

:user:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
lol

Thanks for that Flops.

I'll invest in a new motherboard then.

I think the reason I had got into my mind that the CPU might have been damaged was because I orginally thought the PSU had burnt, and I know that can damage a lot.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Whoa Whoa, mucks, I know e-machines aren't that good, but I didn't buy the PC...

Let me go into this a bit.

It was my uncle's PC, which when it stopped working he promptly wanted to throw it in a nearby skip, and bought a new PC. I rescued it with the intention of it becoming a cruncher. So I just thought if I can get it working, that would be good.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A fine sentiment, carry on ... :nod:

I concur with Master BootStomp ... I would get a new MB. :thumb:

:D

Reaction score
reading all of your post I would invest in a new motherboard too.

Out of interest when it does power up do you get any beeps from the internal speaker?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Nah, nothing. In fact, YOU can't power it up. Powering up is on it's terms only. When you switch the wall plug on, the fans start and power LED lights. Sometimes the cpu fan starts, sometimes it don't. Hold down the button, nothing. There is no way you can provoke a response.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There is one sure fire way to gain a response . Throw a bucket of water over it , that should spark some life into it . Unfortunaltly the shock will probably kill it .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Remember children . Do not try this at home .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question