problems with E-Mail attachments??

dnc1134

Some of the E-Mails i get when i click on the attachment then hit open i get
a box that pops up with the following message."This file does not have a
program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association
in the Set Associations control panel".I'm not real "computer smart" so i
have no idea what that message means or how to fix the problem any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

Handymanbill

dnc1134 said:
Some of the E-Mails i get when i click on the attachment then hit open i get
a box that pops up with the following message."This file does not have a
program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association
in the Set Associations control panel".I'm not real "computer smart" so i
have no idea what that message means or how to fix the problem any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

I get a similar problem. New laptop running Vista has been working
perfectly. Now, all of a sudden (since the last auto-update, maybe??) I
cannot open email attachments directly from the paper-clip icon. My pop-up
box says "C:\windows\system32\[file name] could not be found". If I save the
attachment, then open it with the appropriate programme, all is well, but
cannot open it directly. What's wrong? Why has it suddenly changed? I can't
even open attachments that I could previously open without problem.

Rainald Taesler

dnc1134 said:
Some of the E-Mails i get when i click on the attachment then hit
open i get a box that pops up with the following message."This file
does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action.Create an association in the Set Associations control
panel"
.I'm not real "computer smart" so i have no idea what that
message means or how to fix the problem

Your problem is different from the attachment-problems discussed in many
threads in here.
Your situation is that there is no application defined for using/opening
files of the file type in questions.

Which file type do the attachments have? DOC, PPT/PPS, JPG, TXT or what
else?

Can the attachments be opened after you saved them to the desktop or to
some folder?

The normal way of curing the problem is to just do what the error
message says: Create an association:
Startmenu | Control Panel | Default Programs

Should setting the file associations there not help pls let us know
which type files us causing troubles. We could then check for specific
tools.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Handymanbill said:
I get a similar problem.

The problem with your problem is that you just jumped on an existing
thread with a "Mee-to" although your situation has hardly anything in
common with the problem about which the OP had posted :-( :-(
New laptop running Vista has been working
perfectly. Now, all of a sudden (since the last auto-update, maybe??)
I cannot open email attachments directly from the paper-clip icon. My
pop-up box says "C:\windows\system32\[file name] could not be found".
If I save the attachment, then open it with the appropriate
programme, all is well, but cannot open it directly. What's wrong?

You are bitten by the IE8-WinMail bug which affects many systems (though
not all).
What you report is the classical situation.
Why has it suddenly changed? I

Because you have installed IE8.
can't even open attachments that I could previously open without
problem.

Yes, that's just normal :-(

There is no fix so far - except uninstalling IE8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us

The problems can be reduced to JPG and TXT files (all other files types
opening fine) with a workaround:
Right-click on the shortcut that you use to open Windows Mail.
Select Properties.In the field labeled 'Start in' change the entered
value to %UserProfile%.
Click OK.
Restart Windows Mail and try opening attachments.

HTH
Rainald

Gary VanderMolen

What type of attachments, DOC, PPS, PDF, or something else?
Can you save the attachment and open it outside of Windows Mail?

Rouanes B & S

dnc1134 said:
Some of the E-Mails i get when i click on the attachment then hit open i
get
a box that pops up with the following message."This file does not have a
program associated with it for performing this action.Create an
association
in the Set Associations control panel".I'm not real "computer smart" so i
have no idea what that message means or how to fix the problem any help
would
be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

je voudrais les infos en francais merci

Peter Foldes

Daniel

Commmence une nouveau post en Francaise avec le sujet Information sur les
Attachements et ecrire dans ton poste exactement ques que tu vu. Une autre person
repondre pour toi en Francaise apres. Exuse moi pour les accents prce-que ne pas le
keyboard a neccessaire

Handymanbill

Dear Rainald,

Apologies for the "mee-too" assumption. Yes, i realise that my problem was
different to that of dnc1134. However, thank you for your advice re: IE8.
Now removed IE8 (using alternative 'cut 'n paste' command) and everything
works fine again.

Thank you for sound advice.

Rainald Taesler

Handymanbill said:
Dear Rainald,

Apologies for the "mee-too" assumption. Yes, i realise that my
problem was different to that of dnc1134. However, thank you for your
advice re: IE8. Now removed IE8 (using alternative 'cut 'n paste'
command) and everything works fine again.

Thank you for sound advice.

Just returned from a longer holiday:

You're welcome!
Thanks fro the feedback.

Rainald

copps

dnc1134 said:
Some of the E-Mails i get when i click on the attachment then hit open i get
a box that pops up with the following message."This file does not have a
program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association
in the Set Associations control panel".I'm not real "computer smart" so i
have no idea what that message means or how to fix the problem any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

Gary VanderMolen

Are you able to save the attachment, then open the saved document by double-clicking
on it?
Does it only happen with certain types of attachments, such as DOC, PDF, PPS, etc.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"mike" wrote in message
This my problem also. How do I fix