Problem with KB885250 or KB891781

S

Sambo

After installing these two updates my comp is being shut down (sort of - ready to be, W2000 never could shut this Asus P5A down it may have worked before installing SP4) even though I am downloading!!!!!!!
(since I am mentioning the modem) Various dialers in the past ( not neccessarily W2000) , also had problem figuring out that the modem is going full blast, so I stopped using the "hangup if inactive option.), how hard can it be to have a function returning the number of interrupts in the last 5 or so minutes!!!!!!

If I want to be that secure I'll never turn my computrer ON myself, lol.
Why oh why did I get the sudden urge to see 0 updates available!!!!!

And now, off to remove and pray.

Cheers

E

Earl

Are you sure it isn't 891711? That update creates the exact same set of
symptoms and is a debacle that Microsoft has thus far failed to address.

S

Sambo

Earl said:
Are you sure it isn't 891711? That update creates the exact same set of
symptoms and is a debacle that Microsoft has thus far failed to address.
it looks Iike I have never installed 891711, but I have removed 891781 and still the same problem and then finally checked my power settings and indeed it was set to hibernate after 2 hours, although I was convinced it was doing this after 3-4 hours since it downloaded about 40 meg the first time it happened ( must have sensed I was downloading LINUX, lol).
( oops )
If they said what each fix is for instead of everything saying the same think I might have checked it in the first place and wouldn't be here.
Having said that , this could be just a side affect which another update will 'counterbalance'.

SO KB885250 might have something to do with power settings ( fix) , but I am not going to test me theory.
Previous post seams to suggest that this fix has something to do with the file system/DOS int 21 calls so who knows.

Cheers

Ask a Question