Problem joining client to domain

Hello:

I just installed server 2000 and configured AD/DNS via the "Manage your
server". When I try to add a windows 2000 Pro client to the domain I get the
this error:

The following error occurred validating the name "HomeOffice.com"
This condition may be cause by a DNS lookup problem For more info about
trouble shooting DNS lookup see ......

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

I tried using the "HomeOffice.com" in the domain in the client as well as
the netbios name "Home" too and got the same error

So, about the DC. Here's the network configuration
IP 192.168.1.100
Mask 255.255.255.0
DNS 192.168.1.100

In the DNS snap-in, the forward zone "Home.HOmeOffice.com" has the all
SRV records including the _TCP, and other necessary folders as well as the
reverse lookup. It looks correct to me. The forward zone has the server
"DC01" listed as a host. In the network Identification properties it has
Full ComputerName DC01.home.homeoffice.com
Domain: Home.HomeOffice.com Also, this is a local domain - not an Internet

Ok, MS says to make sure the Sysvol is shared. Here's the funny thing, from
the client I can ping the DC by name AND IP and the DC can ping
the client by IP.

What have I done wrong and what can I do to fix it ?

Thanks !

Kurt

Since you mention the srv records, I guess we can assume this is an
AD-Integrated zone? From the client, what is the result of "nslookup
homeoffice.com"?

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I have tried that yet. I won't be able to
until this evening. I am at work now so... I'll try that and then let you
know.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Gsurfdude said:
[...]

What's doing DHCP for you? If you use AD you're best off having your DC do
this, I think. It should have the following properties in the scope/server
settings:

003 Router (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
006 DNS servers (your internal DNS server's IP here - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
015 DNS Domain Name (e.g., mydomain.local)
044 WINS/NBNS Servers (your WINS server IP - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
046 WINS/NBT Node Type (0x8)

(WINS is optional, but I see no downside to running it).

If you post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC and from the problem
client, it might help.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Kurt said:
Since you mention the srv records, I guess we can assume this is an
AD-Integrated zone?

Whether the zone is AD integrated or not wouldn't stop the SRV records from
registering. AD Integration is just a form of DNS data storage. If it is a
Primary zone, it goes into a text file. If it is an AD integrated zone, it
goes into the AD database. A DC's netlogon service will still register the
SRV data no matter what type of zone it is. If it is a Secondary, it queries
the MNAME (who the master is) and sends the updates to that.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Gsurfdude said:
Hello:

I just installed server 2000 and configured AD/DNS via the "Manage
your server". When I try to add a windows 2000 Pro client to the
domain I get the this error:

The following error occurred validating the name "HomeOffice.com"
This condition may be cause by a DNS lookup problem For more info
about trouble shooting DNS lookup see ......

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

<snipped>

One big question: What DNS address is the client workstation you are tyring
to joing using? Remember: when *anything* in an AD infrastructure (no matter
how large or small) requires info about AD (such as to logon, authenticate
or join a machine, etc), it queries DNS. If the workstation has the
incorrect DNS (such as an ISP's or the router's address as a DNS server) it
will get an unknow response because those guys have no idea where your
domain is. In AD, ALL MACHINES must ONLY use the internal DNS server. I
assume that is your domain controller.

Please post an ipconfig /all of the client and of your DC please so we can
see more of a specific picture of your configuration.

Also, as Lanwench and others have stated in this thread and in your other
thread, that using the router's DHCP may cause you headaches. It also does
not support some helpful features that WIndows DHCP does. Suggest to use
Windows DHCP and disable the router's DHCP.

--
[...]

Thanks Ace,

I was just probing delicately to try and find out whether or not the OP had
allowed Windows to set up DNS. If it's ADI, generally that means it was set
up during the install and not patched on as an afterthought. Of course a
standard primary zone is just as functional - if set up correctly. I didn't
mean to imply otherwise.

....kurt

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Kurt said:
Thanks Ace,

I was just probing delicately to try and find out whether or not the OP
had allowed Windows to set up DNS. If it's ADI, generally that means it
was set up during the install and not patched on as an afterthought. Of
course a standard primary zone is just as functional - if set up
correctly. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

...kurt

Ok, I see. I thought you meant otherwise.

:)

Ace