GUID DNS name

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by Guest, Sep 5, 2006.

    Hey Guys

    Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came across
    this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live system.

    Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

    I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying to
    make sure everything is replicating properly and working correctly. Thanks

    Testing server: DC01
    Starting test: Connectivity
    * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
    DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
    IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    Although the Guid DNS name
    (e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com) couldn't
    be
    resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to the IP
    address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is
    registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

    Guest, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Adrian wrote:
    > Hey Guys
    >
    > Im my win 2000 domain when I tried to run DCdiag and Netdiag I came
    > across this error which I dont quite understand. This is my live
    > system.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
    >
    > I am currently preping my domain before I update to 2003 so im trying
    > to make sure everything is replicating properly and working
    > correctly. Thanks
    >
    > Testing server: DC01
    > Starting test: Connectivity
    > * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
    > DC01's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
    > IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    > Although the Guid DNS name
    > (e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com)
    > couldn't be
    > resolved, the server name (dc01.mydomain.com) resolved to
    > the IP address (10.0.10.10) and was pingable. Check that
    > the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
    > ......................... DC01 failed test Connectivity

    Make sure there are no external DNS servers listed in TCP/IP properties.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Sep 5, 2006

    Kevin,

    Thanks I remember we have 1 external DNS server in the Config, something
    158.x.x.x range (At home now so cant check)

    To be honest Im not quite sure why it was in the first place but I was told
    that it was incase the other two DNS servers went down??

    I will check tomorrow either way.

    Kind Regards,

    Guest, Sep 5, 2006

    I might be teaching granny to suck eggs... but if you set your DNS servers
    with local address and in the dns mmc hightlight your primary dns server,
    right click it and go to properties, click the Forwarders tab and set the
    external dns servers in there.

    Hope this helps.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2006

    mispol Guest

    Add CNAME dns record:
    e3c812ce-8d96-433f-aef1-fb80c418acfd._msdcs.mydomain.com for
    dc01.mydomain.com and restart system.

    mispol, Sep 25, 2009