Windows Vista Problem in Vista with USB mike, can't monitor

Reaction score
I bought a USB high quality mike to use recording on my job (I'm a court reporter) and it has a jack to use headphones to monitor the recording. I have trouble shooted it with my software people and the maker of the mike, Martel Electronics. They think Vista is the problem. The mike works fine with my XP computer, but I need to get it working on the Vista machine? Is there some secret out there?

Thank you. Kay

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Kay, welcome to PC Review :)

I have a USB headset and mic, and use them with Vista. It was necessary to go to Control Panel, select Sounds, then Click on Headphones.

Click on the Recording tab (same window) and click on your mic device. You can then click on Configure, and the next window will give you the option to Set Up Microphone. It is then a matter of just following the Wizard for the set-up you are using.

If this does not help, then I'm sure someone else will be along soon who can give more expert guidance. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Thank you! I got it working. But should I select right and left speakers or surround? I checked right and left and it seems to be okay. I have an omnidirectional USB mike.

Thanks. Kay

Ask a Question