    instructions do not match the information in Windows 2000 Professional.
    Any Suggestions?
    George

    Guest, Jan 29, 2006

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Yes it applies to Windows 2000. What doesn't match?

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Jan 29, 2006

    I found a couple of items.
    Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
    Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
    users Windows Directory?
    Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then click
    on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
    And that is as far as I got.
    Please Note the Following:
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    • Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition

    Any suggestions on how to access File Folders?
    Thanks
    George

    Guest, Jan 29, 2006

    Dave Patrick Guest

    "George Lawshe" wrote:
    |I found a couple of items.
    | Instructions state to save bat file in Windows Directory, which Windows
    | Directory? I have a Windows Directory for each user, do I save it in each
    | users Windows Directory?
    * The "windows" directory is always where the operating system is installed.
    In your case it should be \winnt by default.

    | Instructions state to click on tools, folder options, file types, then
    click
    | on file folder. I can not find File Folder under File Types.
    | And that is as far as I got.
    * Try logging on as local administrator.

    Dave Patrick, Jan 29, 2006

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi George - See Steve Yandl's Directory Printer Script, here at the bottom:
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/scripts5.html

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Jan 29, 2006

    Jim Byrd Guest

    or add it to the context menu:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=30...ectory+Print+context+menu+command&btnG=Search

    Jim Byrd, Jan 29, 2006

    I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
    tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found about
    200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However, clicking
    on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New and
    it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro on
    your computer?
    George

    Guest, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Sorry to jump in here, but if you only need this feature for occasional use,
    Windows 2000 still has TREE.COM available. This is run from a command prompt.
    Enter tree /? for parameters. Simplest method is to sent to text file and then
    print the text file. Here are some examples of commands:

    For tree structure only:
    tree %windir% /a >tree.txt

    For tree structure and file names:
    tree %windir% /a /f >files.text

    The text files will be in whatever folder you run the command from.

    One drawback: It doesn't seem to know about some system folders

    Snarky Parker, Jan 30, 2006

    Dave Patrick Guest

    You need to click on 'Advanced' then 'New'

    Dave Patrick, Jan 30, 2006
  10. I tried the procedure that Patrick recommended and it does indeed work, but the
    output only shows the first tier of folders. Here's a change that I made to the
    batch file (prin.bat) which outputs all directory levels (first tier and all
    subs):

    @echo off
    tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    del "%temp%\TreeList"
    exit

    Hope this helps.

    Snarky Parker, Jan 30, 2006
  11. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:17:41 -0500, "Snarky Parker" <> wrote:

    >Sorry to jump in here, but if you only need this feature for occasional use,
    >Windows 2000 still has TREE.COM available. This is run from a command prompt.
    >Enter tree /? for parameters. Simplest method is to sent to text file and then
    >print the text file. Here are some examples of commands:
    >
    >For tree structure only:
    >tree %windir% /a >tree.txt
    >
    >For tree structure and file names:
    >tree %windir% /a /f >files.text
    >
    >The text files will be in whatever folder you run the command from.
    >
    >One drawback: It doesn't seem to know about some system folders
    >
    >"George Lawshe" <> wrote in message
    >| I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
    >| tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found about
    >| 200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However, clicking
    >| on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New and
    >| it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro on
    >| your computer?
    >| George

    >| > * The "windows" directory is always where the operating system is installed.
    >| > In your case it should be \winnt by default.

    >| > click
    >| > * Try logging on as local administrator.
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| >
    >| > Regards,
    >| >
    >| > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >| > Microsoft Certified Professional
    >| > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >| > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Another one to remember and quite interesting. I tried
    cmd
    tree c:\ /F > Myfile.txt

    Thanks
    Start/run/regedit
    (if unsure export registry for safety)
    select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    navigate to system/services/atapi/parameters or
    system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi/parameters
    right click for new
    Select Dword name it EnableBigLba (take note of case)
    set value to 1
    end regedit
    reboot

    nesredep egrob, Jan 31, 2006

    I tried Dave's way using Tools - Folder Options - File Types - now before I
    can click on Advanced I have to choose a file type. It must list 200 file
    types, I have to click on one of those file types so I will know which one
    to press the Advanced key on. Which file type do I highlight?
    Sorry I am so dense.
    George

    Guest, Feb 7, 2006
  13. Easy....File Folder is the one you want to change.

    You might find it the listing easier if you click on the File Types header bar
    to sort the list by name.

    | I tried Dave's way using Tools - Folder Options - File Types - now before I
    | can click on Advanced I have to choose a file type. It must list 200 file
    | types, I have to click on one of those file types so I will know which one
    | to press the Advanced key on. Which file type do I highlight?
    | Sorry I am so dense.
    | George
    |
    | "Snarky Parker" wrote:
    |
    | > I tried the procedure that Patrick recommended and it does indeed work, but
    the
    | > output only shows the first tier of folders. Here's a change that I made to
    the
    | > batch file (prin.bat) which outputs all directory levels (first tier and all
    | > subs):
    | >
    | > @echo off
    | > tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    | > start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    | > del "%temp%\TreeList"
    | > exit
    | >
    | > Hope this helps.
    | >
    | > "George Lawshe" <> wrote in message
    | > | I logged on as administrator, then following instructions I clicked on
    | > | tools, folder options, file types, then click on file folder. I found
    about
    | > | 200 file types and final found one that was File Folder. However,
    clicking
    | > | on it never brought up an Edit tag, It did have a New, I clicked on New
    and
    | > | it brought up something else, but no Action Box. Do you have Win 2000 Pro
    on
    | > | your computer?
    | > | George
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Snarky Parker, Feb 7, 2006

    Thanks to all of your great help I finally got this to work. For the more
    dense people (like me) you may want this step by step procedure.
    In Windows Explorer goto to the following:
    Tools - Folder Options - File Types - Then you will see the words
    "Regiserted File Types', directly under that are two tabs "Extensions" and
    "File Types", click on "File Types" and this will sort all the file types
    below in alpabetically order. Scroll down until you come to "File Folder",
    high light this and click on Advanced, then click on New.
    In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
    In Application used to perform action, click Prin.bat, and then click OK.
    Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.
    Open Windows Explorer, right-click the folder that you would like to print a
    directory listing of, and then click Print Directory Listing.
    Again thanks for all your help.
    George

    Guest, Feb 8, 2006