Preview view problem

G

My first time on this fourm. Here's my problem. I made my website with FrontPage 2000. Last week I got the 2003 upgrade and installed it. My site looks perfect in the new Design view and also when I tested it in the browser view. In the Preview view it looks good but no internal links function.

One thing is strange in the Preview mode. When I place my mouse pointer over a link to another page of the site, I get this: File:///C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents/My Webs/biology_of_baldness.htm. All the links have this same file name but of course with different page names like: /nutrition.htm, /dandruff.htm, and /stem_cell_research.htm. I never had a file name like this on my original FrontPage 2000-created site. Could the file name be part of the problem

I'm afraid to publish any new content because of this problem. I hope some guru can give me a hint about what to do

C

chris leeds

open the site with fp 2003 and hit tools/ recalculate hyperlinks. see if
that helps

--
The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
--

Tom Hagerty said:
My first time on this fourm. Here's my problem. I made my website with
FrontPage 2000. Last week I got the 2003 upgrade and installed it. My site
looks perfect in the new Design view and also when I tested it in the
browser view. In the Preview view it looks good but no internal links
function.
One thing is strange in the Preview mode. When I place my mouse pointer
over a link to another page of the site, I get this: File:///C:/Documents
and Settings/My Documents/My Webs/biology_of_baldness.htm. All the links
have this same file name but of course with different page names like:
/nutrition.htm, /dandruff.htm, and /stem_cell_research.htm. I never had a
file name like this on my original FrontPage 2000-created site. Could the
file name be part of the problem?
I'm afraid to publish any new content because of this problem. I hope some
guru can give me a hint about what to do.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=325900
applies to FP2003 as well
--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Tom Hagerty said:
My first time on this fourm. Here's my problem. I made my website with FrontPage 2000. Last week I
got the 2003 upgrade and installed it. My site looks perfect in the new Design view and also when I
tested it in the browser view. In the Preview view it looks good but no internal links function.
One thing is strange in the Preview mode. When I place my mouse pointer over a link to another
page of the site, I get this: File:///C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents/My
Webs/biology_of_baldness.htm. All the links have this same file name but of course with different
page names like: /nutrition.htm, /dandruff.htm, and /stem_cell_research.htm. I never had a file name
like this on my original FrontPage 2000-created site. Could the file name be part of the problem?

G

My problem is still not solved. I of course tried the Recalculate Hyperlinks in the magical believe that if I did it again all would work out. It didn't.

I want to restate my problem clearly. The site that I made with FP 2000 is simple - no advanced functionality. After I installed the 2003 FP upgrade, my site looked exactly the way it was before, but given a new name by default - c:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Webs. I changed My Webs to Modern. In the Design view everything is perfect. In the Site Summary there are zero Broken Links and zero Unlinked Files

When I click the Preview view, though, even though the site looks exactly the same as in the Design view, none of the links work. I cannot navigate from page to page. When I place the mouse pointer over a link I see at the bottom of the screen the same default name - c:/Documents and Settings/Owner/etc., but with File:/// in front of the c: Could this have anything to do with the problem.

It's really strange that I'm having a problem with FP 2003 in the first week. I had no problems ever with the 2000 version. I like the 2003 version a lot but I want to get this problem straigtened out before I start to experiment with the new stuff.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

FP upgrades do not rename webs
Explain
"but given a new name by default - c:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Webs"
- that location just happens to be the default for new webs (disc based), an d may have been where your prior version default web
site was

How did you change the web name "I changed My Webs to Modern" ?
The only way to rename a web is to publish it to a new location
- did you just rename it in Windows Explorer?
- if so, run a File Open web and browse to the "new" web location / name (when it open run a tools recalculate hyperlinks)

You should open see the File:/// type links if the pages have not been saved

--

| My problem is still not solved. I of course tried the Recalculate Hyperlinks in the magical believe that if I did it again all
would work out. It didn't.
|
| I want to restate my problem clearly. The site that I made with FP 2000 is simple - no advanced functionality. After I installed
the 2003 FP upgrade, my site looked exactly the way it was before, but given a new name by default - c:/Documents and
Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Webs. I changed My Webs to Modern. In the Design view everything is perfect. In the Site Summary
there are zero Broken Links and zero Unlinked Files.
|
| When I click the Preview view, though, even though the site looks exactly the same as in the Design view, none of the links work.
I cannot navigate from page to page. When I place the mouse pointer over a link I see at the bottom of the screen the same default
name - c:/Documents and Settings/Owner/etc., but with File:/// in front of the c: Could this have anything to do with the problem.
|
| It's really strange that I'm having a problem with FP 2003 in the first week. I had no problems ever with the 2000 version. I like
the 2003 version a lot but I want to get this problem straigtened out before I start to experiment with the new stuff.

R

Ronx

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823720

The "problem" with filenames should not be a problem when the site is
published. FP2003 displays the full protocol://path/filename for links
in preview.
--
Ron
Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

Tom Hagerty said:
My first time on this fourm. Here's my problem. I made my website with
FrontPage 2000. Last week I got the 2003 upgrade and installed it. My site
looks perfect in the new Design view and also when I tested it in the
browser view. In the Preview view it looks good but no internal links
function.
One thing is strange in the Preview mode. When I place my mouse pointer
over a link to another page of the site, I get this: File:///C:/Documents
and Settings/My Documents/My Webs/biology_of_baldness.htm. All the links
have this same file name but of course with different page names like:
/nutrition.htm, /dandruff.htm, and /stem_cell_research.htm. I never had a
file name like this on my original FrontPage 2000-created site. Could the
file name be part of the problem?
I'm afraid to publish any new content because of this problem. I hope some
guru can give me a hint about what to do.

Ask a Question