Power Options missing

Andrew P. Follett

My power options in Control panel is gone. Was there for 9 months and now
it's gone.

Computer won't go into standby and power options under display/setting/power
does nothing when clicked on.

MS Knowledge base says this happens "by design" when terminal services is
running. Problem is, I never started terminal services and don't know how
to turn it off, disable, or uninstall it. It doesn't show up in Control
Panel/Add Remove Programs.

Can someone help me out here. I just want my computer to "go to sleep" when
it should. Been frustrated by this problem for over a month now and I'm
stuck.

TIA
Andy

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

I understand that the 'power options' icon is missing from control panel.

If you want to uninstall the terminal services, please follow the steps
below.

1. Click on start -> settings -> control panel
2. Double click add/remove programs
3. Click on add/remove windows components
4. Under components you will find terminal services if you scroll down.
5. Uncheck the check box and click on OK.
6. Click on next and click on Finish.

This uninstalls the terminal server. If the issue is not resolved, please
try the following suggestion:

Note: The suggestion involves editing the registry.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Note: Please back the registry before performing any steps. The link below
helps you to backup and restore the registry.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/
windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/RegistryBackup.asp

From another system with the same operating system, perform the following
steps:
1. Click on start->run
2. Type 'regedit.exe'
3. Navigate to the following registry path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\control panel\PowerCFG

4. Click on the PowerCFG folder and from file menu choose 'export registry
file' option.
5. Choose an appropriate location to store the registry file.

Now copy the registry file to the system where power options icon is
missing.

1. Open the registry editor.
2. From the file menu, choose the 'import registry file' option
3. Reboot the system and check if the power options tab is back in control
panel.

The link below provides information on adding, modifying registry keys.

HOW TO: Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
Registration Entries (.reg) File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310516

Hope the issue is resolved.

Thank you,