Windows Vista Pictures Lost After Shut Down

Reaction score
Ok so I have a Compaq notebook, and i used a flash drive to transfer pictures from my old computer, to this new one and they were all in multiple files under pictures and were there for a couple days and stayed whenever the computer was in the 'sleep' or 'hibernate' mode, but once I shut down the computer and restarted it, all my files had been erased. there was still notice of them under a 'recently changed' file, but none of them, including word documents could be found. i restarted the computer again, and after a little searching i had my word documents back but my pictures are still gone. Where are they and how do I get them to stay?!?!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apple Mac, Linux, Win XP, Win Vista?

You put folders containing pictures onto a USB stick then loaded them onto your Compaq Notebook - correct?

Where did you put them?

Where did you find the 'missing' word documents.

Can you remember the names of any of the folders? If so, do a search using the operating system's search facility.

Are the pictures still on the flash drive?

How did you make the transfer? Cut & Paste or Copy & Paste?

Are the pictures still on the old computer?

What operating system did the old computer use?

What file extensions do the pictures have (probably .jpg)?

Sorry to ask so many questions but too little info for me or others to offer any practical advice.

Reaction score
yes, on a USB then to my computer. I copied them to the USB and then when the files showed up on my computer from the USB i just dragged the files. the word documents that had been missing were in a recently changed file in word so i was able to rename them and move them to where i wanted and they haven't disappeared yet, at least as far as I know! The pictures aren't on the flash drive anymore, i deleted them, however they are still on my old computer so I can again just copy and drag them, but if I don't have to do that, I really don't want to. When i dragged the pictures I just put them in the pictures folder. you know under a user's name there's a documents, music, pictures, etc folders, i just dragged them in under pictures...Yes the pictures were a .jpg. the old computer has windows xp. is that what you meant by operating system? i don't know how to search the operating systems search facility, but if you can tell me how i will! sorry, i answered your questions out of order, but i hope this helps.

thank you!

Ask a Question