Photo Story 3 - Invalid File Name

Jim Cladingboel

I have just installed this program but, at my first attempt to create a
slideshow, I crashed at Enter File Name.
Whatever I entered as a name reappeared as a full D:\xxxxxxx\Name in a
dialogue box which stated : Invalid File Name, the \ symbol is not allowed.
How can I load any files from Windows Explorer without one or more \s
appearing?

What am I missing here? All help appreciated.

Jim.

John Inzer

Jim said:
I have just installed this program but, at my first attempt to create
a slideshow, I crashed at Enter File Name.
Whatever I entered as a name reappeared as a full D:\xxxxxxx\Name in a
dialogue box which stated : Invalid File Name, the \ symbol is
not allowed. How can I load any files from Windows Explorer without
one or more \s appearing?

What am I missing here? All help appreciated.

Jim.
=====================================
Are you typing the filenames? Just browse
to the files and select them. You can multiple
select by holding your Ctrl key while left clicking
the images.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jim Cladingboel

John Inzer said:
=====================================
Are you typing the filenames? Just browse
to the files and select them. You can multiple
select by holding your Ctrl key while left clicking
the images.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
Many thanks, John, but I'm wondering if I'm looking at the same program as
you.
After clicking "Begin/Next", I have an "Import & Arrange Your Pictures"
screen which has a notation, top right, on selecting pics and learning
editing. At the bottom, I have 5 Boxes, Help: Save Project: Back:
Next and Cancel.
Centre is "Import Pictures...". When I click on this a new screen appears,
the "File Browser" with two tabs, "All Files" and "MSN Groups".
The "Look in" box lets me browse Windows Explorer, but I can't copy/paste
from W/E. Clicking on a folder loads all the pictures into the right hand
pane exactly as required - but leaves me exactly where I was yesterday!
Whatever I type as a name appears in the Invalid File Name box as the full
file path. This box will not accept a copy/Paste from W/E. What can I do?
My problem is not in selecting, but in somehow proceeding beyond that stage.
By the way, I take it that slideshows produced using this program can be
burned to DVD and displayed on a TV?

Jim.

PapaJohn

seems like you have the right software.... try dragging and dropping onto
the window before pressing the Import Pictures... button

my site has a tutorial about using Photo Story 3... it's the Photo Story 3
section

John Inzer

Jim said:
[...]
=================================
As I previously said...you don't need to
type the filename. And no you don't have
to copy/paste.

Try this...just double left click one of your
picture thumbnails and see if it opens in
the PhotoStory tray.

As for a DVD...if you have DVD authoring
software that is compatible with a .wmv file...
then yes, you can create a DVD. As for
playing it on your TV...some stand alone
DVD players will play a home made DVD
and some will not...you'll just have to try it.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jim Cladingboel

John Inzer said:
=================================
As I previously said...you don't need to
type the filename. And no you don't have
to copy/paste.

Try this...just double left click one of your
picture thumbnails and see if it opens in
the PhotoStory tray.

As for a DVD...if you have DVD authoring
software that is compatible with a .wmv file...
then yes, you can create a DVD. As for
playing it on your TV...some stand alone
DVD players will play a home made DVD
and some will not...you'll just have to try it.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
My thanks to both you and PapaJohn, but none of what either of you says
makes any sense.
If I don't press "Import Pictures..", I can't see Explorer in the LH pane !
In the LH pane, I can only see Drives, folders and sub-folders, not
thumbnails.
PapaJohn, I have read through your web pages on this software, but I am
still no further advanced - I couldn't see a mention of the problem I have
encountered and Istill cannot enter an acceptable filename.
In 25 years of using computers I can't recall coming across such a
ridiculously stupid piece of software.
How does anyone get past entering "File Name" ? I have no idea what "MSN
Groups" are. I don't have one.
As I said before, I can see W/E in the LH pane; I can double left-click a
folder and all the pictures therein appear in the RH pane. But nothing I
try will let me create a _valid_ file name.
I tried opening a page of thumbnails and using copy/paste to get them into
PS3 which worked well - until I came to give the selection a filename !
I give up !
I have wasted far too much time on this program and I shall try to uninstall
both it and the WMP 10 which had to come with it, and go back to my other
old software which, at least allows me to create titles.

Jim.

Bobdddds

I have just installed this program but, at my first attempt to create aslideshow, I crashed at Enter File Name.
Whatever I entered as a name reappeared as a full D:\xxxxxxx\Name in a
dialogue box which stated : Invalid File Name, the \ symbol is not allowed.
How can I load any files from Windows Explorer without one or more \s
appearing?

What am I missing here? All help appreciated.

Jim.

You can try the DVD Slideshow Builder which is very powerful and very
popular now, many friends and I like it very much. It's very easy to
create a customized DVD slide show with photos and videos, and I can
add music, transitions, and motion effects and make beautiful DVD
menus. To be important, it has great photo and video editing function
that can meet your needs. Also, we can create .mp4, .wmv, .avi, .3gp
slideshows for our iPod, Zune and 3GP Cell Phones, Youtube .etc.

You can download it free here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slideshow-builder.php?sid=8
And a specific tutorial is here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1452
Some useful information such as tips to make slideshow awesome is
here:
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/other/popular-way-to-hold-memory.html

Hope this helps!

PapaJohn

It's lots easier to do it than explain it... for whatever reason, we're just
not on the same wavelength in trying to connect in this thread.

It seems like your software is working fine, and it's just a matter of a
little learning. Or I'm missing something, as to get pictures into the app,
you don't need to type in a file name. I know the blank is there, but you
don't need to use it.

John Inzer

Jim said:
[...]
Thank you for telling me I don't make any sense.
That's a real encouraging statement.

I think you may be making it too complicated.

One last try if you are still following this thread.

Open PhotoStory 3

Begin a new story / Next

Import Pictures button
(this opens your File Browser)

All Files tab

Browse to the picture/s you wish to import.
(select a folder in the left pane that contains
pictures)

Double left click a thumbnail to open it in
PhotoStory or hold your Ctrl key while left
clicking (selecting) thumbnails for multiple
selection. When you are satisfied with the
selection...click...OK.

The selected pictures should open in the
PhotoStory tray.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jim Cladingboel

John Inzer said:
=================================
[...]

John, my sincere apologies. I did not intend to be rude and I do appreciate
your help.
You are advising me on how to load pictures into PS3, but this is not my
problem.
My problem is that I cannot advance beyond loading my very first bunch of
pictures. They appear as thumbnails, and the slider/resizer works very well.

BUT whatever I enter as "File Name", when I press OK it is immediately
followed by a dialogue box which creates a full DOS path e.g.
D:\foldername\PS3 name, telling me this is an Invalid File name as it
contains banned symbols i.e. \ .
If I put my pics just in Drive D, the dialogue box will still see it as
D:\PS3name.
Importing the pics is not my problem, it's when I try the next step I crash.
PapaJohn tells me I can proceed without entering a filename, which I shall
try out, and respond to him with the result.

Jim

Jim Cladingboel

Hi PapaJohn. Thank you. My pictures import very well, I can display them in
the RH pane as thumbails and use the slider to resize them.
But as I said before, I can't get past the File Name box.
I tried leaving it blank, as you suggested, but the OK button remained
greyed out.
I found I could activate it using the spacebar, but pressing the OK button
then brought no result.
I'm sure I am missing something, how else can anyone import pics into the
program, but I haven't found it yet.
How could I load pictures into PS3 without involving the forbidden \
symbol ? All my pics are in various folders in Windows Explorer.
Alternatively, is it possible to disable/reconfigure this Dialogue Box
that's causing the problem ?

Jim.

Jim Cladingboel

Bobdddds said:
You can try the DVD Slideshow Builder which is very powerful and very
popular now, many friends and I like it very much. It's very easy to
create a customized DVD slide show with photos and videos, and I can
add music, transitions, and motion effects and make beautiful DVD
menus. To be important, it has great photo and video editing function
that can meet your needs. Also, we can create .mp4, .wmv, .avi, .3gp
slideshows for our iPod, Zune and 3GP Cell Phones, Youtube .etc.

You can download it free here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slideshow-builder.php?sid=8
And a specific tutorial is here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1452
Some useful information such as tips to make slideshow awesome is
here:
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/other/popular-way-to-hold-memory.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but I need to see how this thread works out.

Jim.

PapaJohn

Jim,

I remain confused about your issue... so I'll wait to see if you or someone
else can shed more light on it.

John Inzer

Jim said:
Importing the pics is not my problem, it's when I try the next step I
crash. PapaJohn tells me I can proceed without entering a filename,
which I shall try out, and respond to him with the result.

Jim
=======================================
Truthfully, your description of your steps is
quite unclear. In the beginning you stated:
"How can I load any files from Windows Explorer".

Apparently you are attempting to save your
project immediately after importing the pictures
by clicking the "Save Project" button. If you
wish to do this...use the default name:
"PhotoStory1.wp3" (this is nothing more than
a project file...not a playable movie file)

You do not have to do that...just continue to
create your PhotoStory by clicking...Next /
Next / Next...until you get to the "Save your story"
screen. Then you can save your project by
simply leaving the default name alone...
"PhotoStory1.wp3"

Now...clicking Next one more time will save
your .wmv Movie file.

If none of this "makes any sense" you might
be better served with a different program.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jim Cladingboel

John Inzer said:
=======================================
[...]

OK John, one final try to explain what I see as extremely simple.

A) I can open the program, check "Begin new story, and click Next.
B) I can click "Import Pictures..."
C) I can load dozens and dozens of pictures into the program's Right Hand
pane.
D) I cannot progress beyond this point because :-
E) With the File Name space blank, the OK button is greyed out - I can't
progress,
F) Putting any word into this space activates the OK button, BUT :-
G) Pressing that button brings up the Name Not Valid dialogue box, as
previously explained.
H) I cannot proceed further.

What am I doing wrong?

In all my attempts to use this program, the "Save Project" button has always
been greyed out. I never get that far!

Jim

John Inzer

Jim said:
OK John, one final try to explain what I see as extremely simple.

A) I can open the program, check "Begin new story, and click Next.
B) I can click "Import Pictures..."
C) I can load dozens and dozens of pictures into the program's Right
Hand pane.
D) I cannot progress beyond this point because :-
E) With the File Name space blank, the OK button is greyed out - I
can't progress,
F) Putting any word into this space activates the OK button, BUT :-
G) Pressing that button brings up the Name Not Valid dialogue box, as
previously explained.
H) I cannot proceed further.

What am I doing wrong?

In all my attempts to use this program, the "Save Project" button has
always been greyed out. I never get that far!

Jim
=============================
This must be a test because no one
is this hard to communicate with.

Here's the deal Jim....

You said...
C) I can load dozens and dozens of pictures into the program's Right
Hand pane.

At this point...don't type anything...
all you have to do is double left click any

John Inzer said:
=============================
This must be a test because no one
is this hard to communicate with.

Here's the deal Jim....

You said...

At this point...don't type anything...
all you have to do is double left click any
thumbnail to open it in PhotoStory or hold
your Ctrl key while left clicking (selecting)
thumbnails for multiple selection. When
you are satisfied with the selection...click...
OK.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
Thank you very much, John, all working fine now and sorry it took so long.

Jim.

John Inzer

Jim said:
Thank you very much, John, all working fine now and sorry it took so
long.
Jim.
================
You're welcome.