PCI device is missing driver

Santanu Mitra

Whenever I boot my PC it lists a PCI device with a screen
to install the driver. Now when I say choose from default
location it says driver not found and list it in the
Device Manager as 'other'. If I list the properties of
the 'other' device in Device Manager then it says its
located on
'PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3'..

How do I find out what device is this ?
I am using Win2K Prof. on T23 IBM ThinkPad.

Any help or suggestion appreciated.

Rick

Santanu Mitra said:
Whenever I boot my PC it lists a PCI device with a screen
to install the driver. Now when I say choose from default
location it says driver not found and list it in the
Device Manager as 'other'. If I list the properties of
the 'other' device in Device Manager then it says its
located on
'PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3'..

How do I find out what device is this ?
I am using Win2K Prof. on T23 IBM ThinkPad.

Any help or suggestion appreciated.

Download PCIVIEW, put it on a bootable DOS floppy,
reboot to DOS and run the program:
http://www.canopus.com/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp

Go through your PCI devices until you see the correct device
and function (the numbers may be in hexadecimal, e.g. 1F
instead of 31). See if there's a description or manufacturer
listed for the device.

Rick

Vanguard

Rick said:
Download PCIVIEW, put it on a bootable DOS floppy,
reboot to DOS and run the program:
http://www.canopus.com/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp

Go through your PCI devices until you see the correct device
and function (the numbers may be in hexadecimal, e.g. 1F
instead of 31). See if there's a description or manufacturer
listed for the device.

Rick

If you don't want to bother bouncing out to a DOS bootable floppy, see
if AOpen's AOconfig utility will work for you. It will show PCI devices
by bus, device, and function number. However, it may be a
vendor-specific utility and may not work for your mobo.

AIDA32 also has a Devices list showing you PCI devices by bus, device
and function numbers, and it runs as a Windows application.

Santanu Mitra

OK I did run that and here is what I get...

Device Code : Unknown device
ID : Vendor = 8086 Device = 2483 Rev
= 02
Resources : [I/O]
I/O Address : 00001880H
Interrupt : IRQ11

Device Code : Other comunication device
ID : Vendor = 11C1 Device = 0449 Rev
= 01
Resources : [I/O] [Memory][Bus Master]
Memory Address : c0201000H
I/O Address : 00006440H 00006000H
Interrupt : IRQ11

These are the only two with unusual headers. How to go
forward now ?

Santanu