PC Down

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Help Guys,

My main rig has gone down, Dell using Vista. Whilst working with it, it suddenly rebooted itself and after a further minute it completely froze. Now after every reboot in Normal Mode it is OK for about a minute and then freezes.

In Safe Mode it seems to be working so I have downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, which found and deleted a few tracking cookies, and ESET Online Scanner which found nothing.

Not being very techie I'm not sure what to do next, hence my appeal to you guys.

Any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that if your PC works ok in safe mode then it's not the end of the world and should be fixable once we diagnose it :). First off, I'd make a recent backup if you haven't got one already!

Can you run "MSConfig" from the run menu (Windows key + R) and let us know what you've got listed in the startup tab? It could be something in there causing the problem if it doesn't occur in safe mode.

Also, can you check out Event Viewer and see if there is anything listed at the time of the crash?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The bad news - PC often fails even in Safe Mode.

Ian, I keep Startup to the absolute minimum. Basically jusy Kaspersky and BOINC which both run all the time.

I put in the original Windows CD looking for a Repair section but could only find a Complete Reinstall so I did that anyway. For a few minutes it seemed to be OK but then it froze up again.

At one point, whilst fiddling I got a message stating "Irreparable Hard Disk Problem" so I fear the worst.

Blasted thing is only four years old and this is the second hard drive, the first one having failed after 13 months. :mad:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to run your disc manufacturers disc diagnostics which you can get from their site.
If you have no way to get them I could burn them to cd and post on to you.

Did return the first faulty disc for a replacement ?

Cors if you had a GNU/Linux on a USB then you would not be stuck at all as they run from ram. :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The PC has now been seen by a Consultant and the initial diagnosis is Hard Drive Failure. It has been transported to PC Hospital where further investigations will be carried out.

It is likely that it will require a HardDrivectomy followed by a HardDrive Transplant and that it will be functioning again within a day or two.

Please do not send it flowers or other gifts. Any cash donations will be gratefully accepted by its owner and put to good use, allaying stress and mental damage.

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
ordinateur-26.gif

Wishing the patient a speedy recovery, :thumb:

Ask a Question