PC Desperation

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Are u serious about being contacted??
Yes, and I'll repeat the number 029 2025 6111 (Cardiff, South Wales) 08.30-16.30 Mon-Fri, sorry, don't work weekends. If you "need it" I can also give you a mobile phone number for "out of hours" emergency calls.

;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Dear all,

This kind of thread could be put up as sticky for some time since there are many who would be wanting similar information when buying a new PC, I have gone through the entire thread and I feel almost everything was covered by all with their expert opinion.

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan or maybe someone should write a guide on what to consider and what to make sure of when buying a new computer?

just so people can relate to certain section instead of twaling through things they can not directly relate to.

just a thought...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I know about the article and certainly a very good job by Mucks but this thread gives a different perspective to buying a PC, looks like everyone misjudged my intention.

Reaction score
weird - i just found that article today having no idea there was a like to it here!

Good job mucks, good read very informative, though PC2100 memory is 266MHz rather than 200MHz, right?

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear guys

I tell you what would be really good - a guide to consumer rights when buying on the internet, over the phone etc...(distance selling) cos that issue does seem to crop up quite alot. Anyone fancy doing something? I don't mind working with a n other on an article - I really feel that the readers wuld find it helpful and it may answer a few FAQ.

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mucks

Thankx for your offer, I am sure that people will buzz u. I am OK at present but who knows?

Gabriella x

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yes, and I'll repeat the number 029 2025 6111 (Cardiff, South Wales) 08.30-16.30 Mon-Fri, sorry, don't work weekends. If you "need it" I can also give you a mobile phone number for "out of hours" emergency calls.

;)
i'll do evenings and weekends then seen as they're my working hours anyway!

MOBILE: 07780 670 640 (JAMES) (STOCKPORT, CHESHIRE)

E-MAIL: (e-mail address removed)

:)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Techny

Thanx 2 u too...we could start a little support group for PCs here...

Gabriella x

Reaction score
yep stay clear of microland please. no good can become of it <--- speaking from persanol experience with them, go buy yourself a good pc from a good supplier, 1 place i can highly recomemend is GLADIATORCOMPUTERS of derby, great guys, cant go wrong with them

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Firewall: Kerio
AntiVirus: AVG
Spyware clean: AdAware
Spyware clean: Spybot Search and Destrpy
Spyware prevention: SpywareBlaster

They're all free and they all do their job well.

I'd recommend using both AdAware & Spybot as one will usually catch what the other misses.

They're all free to download. If you want links, just ask :)
I know it's a while back now, but any chance of you being able to give me the links for the above - is it all straightforward to down load etc?

Thanks
Dramaqueen

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No probs :)

AdAware SE V1.05

Spybot

Spyware Blaster

And yes, they're all easy to install and use.

The most important thing is that you update all the ones you decide to use immediately.

And then check for updates as often as possible, at least once a week, preferably every day.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, and:

Kerio Firewall

AntiVir Free Anti Virus

AVG Free Anti Virus

I haven't used Kerio for a couple of years now, I have a hardware Firewall and also use XP's built in firewall, but it was good the last time I used it.

I now prefer AntiVir to AVG Anti Virus, it has the power to stop Trojans dead whereas AVG does not, although AVG is still a fine piece of free software. You cannot use both.

And AdAware is definitely the best of the two spyware removal programs, it's missing less and less of what Spybot picks up just lately but Spybot is still worth having, in my opinion.

And they're all small downloads, even if you're on dial-up, no problems.

Reaction score
Thanks, have downloaded all the info (wasn't sure how to do the Kiero).

Do they all just kick start themselves when you switch on?

I have an anti virus thigh that came with the computer that runs out in 30 days. will all the downloads cover this?

thanks
Dramaqueen

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your thigh's going to run out the house in 30 days? That doesn't sound good ;)

Seriously, uninstall that before you install your new Anti Virus program. Which demo AV program is it you have at the moment?

SpywareBlaster, AdAware & Spybot are all kind of self-explanarory once you install them. They all uninstall easily as well, if you're not happy with them.

I can't remember how I set up Kerio.

Which AV program did you decide to download?

Reaction score
Whoops - should have read that one back!

Already downloaded the others

eTrust anti virus is wha't on at the moment

can't remember which AV i downloaded - will check when i get home

Good to know they are easy to uninstall

Thanks

Reaction score
i downloaded antivir free antivirus - so now i install!
have uninstalled original e trust anti virus - hope it all works!
many thanks

Ask a Question