PC Desperation

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Apart from the fact that the 5200 is DirectX9 whereas the 9200 is not Flops...
True, true, but would you be able to run any games that take full advantage of DX9 on a 5200?

I've owned both cards, the 9200 is definitely better. Had an FX5200 Ultra for a while as well, I wasn't impressed with either, both did not have a very long stay at Chez Flops :D

Reaction score
andrea,

why not just settle with the onboard graphics (which are reasonable) then if you feel that you need more graphics power then you can always upgrade.

give me a shout i'll help you install a graphics card.

James

Reaction score
Flops: I was just saying that the 5200 is DirectX9 Compatible whereas the 9200 is only DirectX 8.1 compatible

James: Good point there - neither cards are targeted really at hardcore gamers but what iwas getting at is not the graphics power of machine but getting an AGP card to actually free up system memory to make everything else run faster if you see where im at...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Flops: I was just saying that the 5200 is DirectX9 Compatible whereas the 9200 is only DirectX 8.1 compatible
I know.

Originally posted by moi:

True, true, but would you be able to run any games that take full advantage of DX9 on a 5200?
I think I'm going slightly mad.....:eek:

Reaction score
sorry Typo there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was meant for you not james flops, that last part of my last post!

sorry man

Reaction score
yeah sorry flops, having a bad couple of days, got to start reading properly.

James

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Techny

Microland Technology....long story...check out my postings (and plenty of other folks) on this site and PC Advisor. There is also other stuff on DVD Reviewer, Romulus2 and Dooyoo (or something like that) - the short story - MT exaggerate ( and that's being v kind) their stock levels, debit c/c immediately and then...guess what...your goods may or may not show. I ended up in a real mess and did eventually get my money back. The most generous interpretation I can offer is that they have grown too big (probably via very good reviews in PC mags) to cope and the consequence....very unhappy customers across the country. Their customer service gets nil points!

Gabriella

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear guys

Are u serious about being contacted?? There are quite a few of us who could really use and would gladly appreciate some 1:1 eith our computer probs. We could start a 'lets' scheme where people trade their skills in a club type of arrangement. This is all above board and perfectly legal etc...no dodgy dealings! I am sure that between us all we have a fair grasp of many things which we could all use to help one another....

Gabriella x

Reaction score
i am perfectly happy to help anyone 1:1 you will find you get the quickest response via email (e-mail address removed)

i also am perfectly happy to build people computers too :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

I could have really done with your PC building offer approx 2 months ago...never mind...there will be upgrades etc.... to do in the fullness of time!!!!

Gabriellaxx

PS I would have gladly driven down to S'ton - it would have been v small price to pay plus I have a friend in yr area who I haven't seen 4 a while...

Reaction score
DramaQueen,

Get the basic spec. It sounds as if it will do all you require for now. If it doesn't, you can spend a few quid on it later to beef it up.

By the way, if you open the case on a bought machine and bugger about with the innards in any way, chances are you'll invalidate the warranty. :( If you have been persuaded by the enthusiasm of the advice you've been given to upgrade the graphics, let the manufacturer fit the AGP card.

On the question of building your own, despite what has been said on this thread, it is not for the technologically challenged or the faint-hearted. It is terribly easy to buy the wrong combination of components, to accidentally damage expensive chips on assembly or to omit some vital link on the motherboard and spend frustrating days trying to figure out why the darn thing won't boot up. Ask me how I know! Pay the manufacturer an extra £100 and let them worry about those issues, while you bask in the warm glow of a long warranty.;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Cogent1

That sounds very sensible advice to me...I would far rather part with £100 and know I'm in safe hands than make a mess of the whole thing.

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Sorry i haven't responded for a few days but until i get my new computer i'm only on line 4 days a week! Anyway...

Thanks guys (and gals) for all the info. It's a very complicated world out there! I think i will go for the basic package - see how it goes and upgrade when necessary (with the help of your knowlegdeable and very friendly advisors!)

I appreciate COGENT1's advice re warranty - i would not have thought of that! Good warning!

Sunflower Queen does have an excellent suggestion - kind of an online skills trading centre, although i'm afraid it wouldn't apply to me as i know absolutely bog all to trade (unless you want marketing/fundraising advice or how to win a fancy dress competition (sad, i know!).

I'll let you know how it goes - customer service/added value etc when i order.

My husband brought in a clipping from one of the newspapers with a TINY.COm computer for £699 which, as many of you have already said look very enticing but to beware of people such as TINY PC WORLD etc. So i put it in the bin - Good move?

Andrea

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Dramaqueen

I am really up for sharing skills etc.... - what you do is a real skill, I know cos I have worked for a large charity and know just what hard work fundraising is and the amount of networking you have to do to get the pennies rolling in.

I nearly went with TINY but after reading this site I thought...nah, I was tempted though!!

Let us know what u decide to get.

Gabriella x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey, after reading (some) of those links above, I'm tempted to have a little fun.

Like maybe phone Time and Tiny and negotiate a few 'Corporate Deals'. You know, like 70 systems and networking needed for a firm based in the City of London.

And then pull out.

Or perhaps a better wind-up, I'm thinking....

And I can record telephone calls, always do when making calls that may be disputed later.

Hmm....

Best bet is to find somebody local who knows what they're doing and negotiate a price for assembly/software installation, or a small local dealer who you can actually go and visit should you have a problem. Most are good, they deserve your custom. These large firms do not have your best interests at heart, they're just pushing a product for profit, no more, no less. They may as well be selling canned peas.

Ask a Question