PC Desperation

Reaction score
OR this one which is probably more better suited... Novatech Matrix Pro XP 3000 Pro

2.16GHz AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333MHz FSB
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM
120GB 7200rpm
128MB DDR GeForce FX5200 AGP Card
8x Dual Format +/- DVD Burner
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound
1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)
56K Modem
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
15" TFT Monitor

si-MatrixPro.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not a bad machine there Chris, but, compared to the Mesh:

No loudspeakers
No software

Well, that's going on info supplied above.

Price? Link?

Reaction score
could probably match the spec of the mesh machine, have all the software and then money left over. Will check.

Reaction score
Ok here are a few more options. Dont think they are too bad.

2.16GHz AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333FSB
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM
80GB 7200rpm
128MB DDR GeForce FX5200 AGP Card
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound
56K Modem
15" TFT Monitor
All matching Black and Silver
Keyboard and Mouse
Norton Internet Security 2004
120w Speaker System

£727.27 Including VAT
Another option would be...

1.833GHz AMD Athlon XP 2500+
256MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM
80GB 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP Card
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
16 Bit 3D on-board (AC'97) Sound
56K Modem
Keyboard and Mouse
15" TFT Monitor
120w Speaker System
Microsoft Office 2003
Norton Antivirus 2004
£748.47 Including VAT
Hope they seem a little more reasonable...
Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Those last two have no DVD burning facilities, unlike the Mesh....

Generally better specced, I'll grant you, but no DVD burning and more expensive.

next :D

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you can have them built it to whatever spec you like. Did that for my next door neighbour before i was into working with hardware.

Reaction score
Aren't we forgetting this user's budget of £600? For that price, some corners have to be cut. Onboard graphics are probably suitable for this user, given that the uses to which this PC is to be put do not seem to be memory- intensive. It can be upgraded later to 1Mb RAM and/or a third-party graphics card if necessary. Unless I am gravely mistaken, Dramaqueen would probably find the Mesh spec. to be fine for her present needs.

Reaction score
Fair play to that

it probably would be ok but what people i think may be saying here is that for pennies more you can get something that would last for the future as opposed to being good for just whats going at the moment.

Reaction score
Lots of info to take in guys!

As you all know my budget is indeed tight, but have increased it to £699 to cover the better mesh computer.

I have asked MESH questions that FLOPPYBOOTSTOMP and CHRISTOPHERPOSTILL posed - here are the answers:
Please find attached a quote for the Matrix 2800+NX, with the 15" TFT.In response to your additional queries:

1) Unfortunately, we do not currently stock a Dual-Layer DVDRW. We're not expecting these for another 6 weeks

2) The Motherboard is the ASUS A7N8X-VM (1x AGP, 3x PCI)

3) There will be 2 spare PCI slots, as one will be occupied by the Modem.

4) The current graphics setup will use the system memory.

OK - does that satisfy you guys or is there something i need to change/be aware of. From the conversations you've had it sounds as if the MESH computer is a good deal considering you get packages with it.

I requested a 15" monitor as i'm a little short on space - it's kind of going in a display cabinet (out of the way of tiny little fingers) but the cost was only reduced by £50. And hopefully i'll not need to protect it from my little monsters for long. So 17" monitor it is!

Any info gladly taken on board

Cheers

Andrea

Reaction score
ifi were in your position, i would ask them to use an AGP video card instead of onboard one that shares the system memory - PURELY so that none of the system memory is used for video stuff. You would probably find thatthey could supply you with cheap one - i would imagine it would be either a Radeon 9200 or an nVidia 5200. 128Mb of onboard is a fair chunk out of your 256mb total so you want to save as much as you can or you will take a performance hit.

Reaction score
you might also note that your motherboard does not have firewire connections though im not sure if that matters to you.

Reaction score
sorry to sound so dumb - please explain firewire and what it does and why i would need it

will ask about the shared memory stuff
Andrea

Reaction score
Hi Andrea,

Firewire is the name given to the IEEE 1394 connection (like USB).

It can be used for high speed data transfer such as networking or transfering video from a camcorder.

I wouldn't worry about that as you can buy an upgrade card to slot into 1 of the PCI slots that will provide Firewire support for about £10.

Reaction score
CHRISTOPHERPOSTILL - Mesh have said - There is a spare AGP slot on the systems and you could add the FX5200 at £50+VAT.

Is it worth it?

PLASMATICA - thanks for the firewire stuff - £10 - cheap as chips!

Reaction score
You can buy 5200's for just under £45 INCLUDING vat so money wise no - if you have any friends that could just slot it in for you then it would be worth buying it seperatly.

if you have no options then i guess there is no otherway unless you are familiar with hardware but i would think the 5200 should make the PC a far superior machine to what it was.

Reaction score
by 'slotting in' does this mean the 5200 will not be on the inside of the machine? I do know someone who knows something about computers, but would not want to "put him out" so if it goes on the outside i could probably handle that

Remember though - i'm a thecnophobe!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
DQ: No, it goes on the inside, in the AGP slot on the motherboard.

That would involve (with the machine turned off and mains lead detached):

Take the side of the case off (either a click fit or a pair of screws).

Undoing one screw and removing the case blanking plate where the card would go.

Pushing the video card into the slot.

Putting back the blanking plate retaining screw to secure the video card in place.

Putting the side of the case back on.

Attach mains lead, boot, enter Bios and disable onboard graphics.

Save Bios settings, reboot.

Load video card drivers, either from CD that came with card or download latest from manufacturer's site and install those (preferred).

And that's it.

Personally I'd go for the ATI 9200, imo it's a better card than Nvidia's 5200, but there isn't that much in it.

Ask a Question