Package for CD

Steve Rindsberg

So! How do you think I found it (LOL)

On my 98 machine it's simple, it is either on or off. On the XP machine I looked
at, there are more options. Life is no longer simple.

IIRC, your trick works for XP Home but it seems to me I had to use the MS
Management Console or somesuch to turn off Autorun in XP/Pro. It was hugely
non-obvious. If there's an easier way to do it, I'd sure like to know.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Sonia

The folder that PowerPoint created contains numerous files. Open Windows
Explorer, locate the folder and in the left side pane select the folder. In the
right side pane you'll see the files that are in the folder. Click your mouse
somewhere in the white area of the right side pane and then press Ctrl+A. That
will select all files (the contents of the folder) that should be burned to the
CD.

Lori said:
I'm sorry--I guess I don't know the distinction here. Please give me a little
more information on how you go about copying the "contents". I believe I just
made a copy of the whole folder.

Sonia

I have not had the problem that you originally described. What I would try is
to reboot the system and see if it still occurs. Another thing I would try is
to use the Package to Folder option and then use my CD burning software. In my
case I use Nero, but the software that came with your CD drive will work just
fine.

Lori said:
In thinking about it, I would open the folder, "select all" and then copy that
to the CD. Please let me know if that is the procedure. Also, Sonia, do you
have any ideas why just clicking on the file command, package for CD, and then
just doing it with my Office 2003 program and my XP operating system? That was
my original question, and I just wondered if others have had problems with this
part of Office 2003 Power Point.little more information on how you go about copying the "contents". I believe I
just made a copy of the whole folder.

Steve Rindsberg

Tweak UI. See

CD's won't autorun - Windows XP Tweak UI
http://www.soniacoleman.com/FAQs/FAQ00158.htm

Yup. But I like to know how to do it the hard way in case Tweakies ain't
handy.

Reminder to self: Tell Self to tell KathyJ to tell Bruce to add TweakUI to the
CD he brings to PPTLive.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
Featured Presenter, PowerPoint Live 2004
October 10-13, San Diego, CA www.PowerPointLive.com

Kathy J

Reminder to Steve - Send the link directly to him. You have the address.....
just change the kl in mine to bd for his.

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft MVP PowerPoint and OneNote
Author of Kathy Jacobs on PowerPoint - Available now from Holy Macro! Books

I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

Sonia

Here's another way:

Disable CD Autorun

1) Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

2) Go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System.

3) Locate the entry for Turn autoplay off and modify it as you desire. If it's
enabled, set it to "Not Configured".

Note: You want to turn off the "Turn autoplay off" option. Is that a double
negative? Too confusing for a lot of people. It's easier to recommend TweakUI
when uncertain about the user's ability to deal with convoluted options.

There are also Registry settings, but it's not a one stop operation if you have
more than one drive.

Echo S

Lori said:
In thinking about it, I would open the folder, "select all" and then copy
that to the CD. Please let me know if that is the procedure.

Yup, that's the way to do it.

Steve Rindsberg

Thanks .. that's the one I semi-remembered. Doublenegative pretzelogic
misnomerations and all.

[...]

JJ

Can someone tell me which I format I save my presenation to burn to a CD to
START AUTOMATICALLY?

I assume it's Slide Show, but it won't start automatically when I insert the
CD.

Thanks!

Echo S

Yes, it's slide show -- PPS or PPSX.

Did you use Package for CD? Give us the exact steps you used to create the
CD and we'll see if we can figure out the issue.

Also, what happens when you put the CD in the CD drive?

Von

I have tried that .. I'm using 2007 PowerPoint and my operating system is
XP.. When I copy to a folder and when I go back to see if the cd will run it
does nothing but sit there.
--
Von

Echo S said:
It sounds as if you're packaging directly to CD and not getting a clean "burn." I'd use Geetesh's suggestion and use the copy to folder option in the package for CD wizard. Then use your CD burning software or Windows XP's CD burning capability to move the folder contents to CD.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Lori said:
The operating system is XP on both computers. The power point version is 2003 (11.5529.5703).

Michael Koerner

When you burned your CD, did you copy the folder to the CD or just the
contents of the folder to the CD?

You might want to pre test your CD before you actually burn it have a look
here,

Test an AutoRun CD
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00209.htm

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Lori said:
The operating system is XP on both computers. The power point version
is 2003 (11.5529.5703).

Echo S

Make sure you burn just the contents of the folder, not the folder itself.

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14

Lori said:
The operating system is XP on both computers. The power point version
is 2003 (11.5529.5703).

:

Lori,

There could be a bucket full of reasons why. I guess the first
question is
what operating systems was on the target machines. From memory, the
viewer
will only run on Windows 98 Second Edition.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

I have used the Package for CD option on my office 2003 program,
but have
not had the best success with it. I have the options checked to
include the
viewer and to play automatically every time. I've tried to play the
CD's on
two different computers and they seem to hang up. The viewer box
comes up,
but the CD doesn't start. It sounds like it tries to, but it can't
quite
get going. Finally, it will stall to the point that nothing
responds. If I
go to my computer and click on the CD drive and then try to open the
file
from the CD drive, I will get the message that trying to open it has
caused
a serious error and do I want to continue, or do I want Power Point
to start
in safe mode. I have done a few CD's that have worked, but most of
the time
it has been unsuccessful. Any suggestions as to what I might be
doing
wrong?

Von

I have use all of Lori suggestions and ideas and nothing works, I am copying
the folder to the cd.

Von

Yes I copied the folder to the cd I tried opening the cd on another computer
the folder is there but it will not open. I have no problems with anyother
cd's.
Von

Lori said:
The operating system is XP on both computers. The power point version
is 2003 (11.5529.5703).

:

Lori,

There could be a bucket full of reasons why. I guess the first
question is
what operating systems was on the target machines. From memory, the
viewer
will only run on Windows 98 Second Edition.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

[...]

Have do I burn the contents and not the folder?
--
Von

Echo S said:
[...]

Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

[...]

Generally, you just select all the files inside the folder, but not the
folder itself, and tell your CD burning program to burn those.

That is your problem, I'm pretty sure. You need to have all those files
"loose" on the CD, not inside a folder on the CD.

Von said:
[...]

Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com