Overclocking 6800

Reaction score
Heya guys...

I got my Gainward 6800, put it in etc...

Went to o/c it but when i click on test changes, nothing happens ?! It freezes and it don't let me click anything so i have to restart !!??

Please help ! It's doing well ! lol

Cheers

Reaction score
que chris, lol

right, i'm not really into overclocking and top end graphics cards anymore, let that side of things go to concentrate on my MCSE. mu question is, if you've got a top end graphics card that can play any of the latest games with all the sweet stuff turned on, why overclock it?

surely this decreases the life of your card and invalidates your warranty and with a £300 card, is it worth it?

when i used to overclock, i tended to go for the cheaper older hardware and oveclock it so it competes with newer, faster and more expensive hardware, then laugh at my mates when i've saved myself £££'s and got the same performance.

Is it just me???

Reaction score
Why does he want to do it? To thrash Imrie's scores of course.

Overclocking it shouldn't invalidate the warranty...

Install the nVidia omega drivers. Very good, and OC software built in. Better benchmark scores too

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Techy said:
Is it just me???
Afraid so old man ;).

People overclock because its free, and if you know what your doing its completely harmless. People will do it to get that extra 5%-20% performance increase when its free god damn it! Have i already said that its free?!?!?!?!?!

Bell, if your comp crashes when you overclock your card theres a quick fix, dont overclock your card :).

Naa, im clueless mate, just spammin for the sheer spam of things.

Reaction score
If you`ve got "test changes" I`m guessing you`ve got Coolbits2, right? If it crashes during the test, that means it cant handle it. Better it crashes there than killing the GPU mid-game. Try upping the cooling, or (this is what I do) strip the heatsink, remove the thermal paste/ pad and put on some Arctic Silver 5. Works for me.(put the heatsink back on when your done tho, LOL) :)

Kenny

Reaction score
Thanx guys :D

When i do o/c i can only get ittoo about 400/800MHz ?!?! That's pretty lame ain't it ?! My Gainward 6600GT went to 550+/1.GHz ?! lol

It keeps just saynig i need to lower settings...

And which Omega driver shall i download !?

Cheers :)

Reaction score
The nVidia one would be a wise choice ben.

More importantly - which is faster - your 6800 or 6600GT GLH?

Reaction score
Chrispostill - I know the nVidia lol but when i click on nvidia FX it just comes up with screen shots ?! Can you send me the link please ?! And the 6800 is way better :p

Chris - lol My 6800 is doing VERY well, seeing as i havn't really o.c it alot so far i have got 9969 !!! at a o/c of 384/770MHZ using Expertool lol so i should surpass 10,000 mark easily ?! :p Hehe me really happy :)

Selling my Gainward 6600GT to my friend, for 170pounds with a livestrong band and installation so i only loosing 10pounds ! Hehe

I prefer the 6800 alot ! And maybe the omega drivers will imporve more ?! I don't know lol

We'll see hehe

Cheers

Reaction score
Sure am but one thing lol...

If the screen starts to like... shows flashes of things... obviously you need to lower the settings, but what's better?!... lowering your core or lowering your memory, is it better to have a high memory and lower core, or vice versa or around the same ?! lol

Cheers :D

Reaction score
When it starts to artifact, just drop the speeds down by a touch until you notice that it has gone, best way to do it is to increment up in steps to highest speed, this way you can ease your card in.

Although i have no patience so i hit auto detect,

Just got my score to 9178 on 3DMark03, just realised how boring watching the 3DMark movies is.

Chris,

Reaction score
Chrispoistl - Same here lol oh well my m8 is buying it now ! :p And what/how will i notice a difference with the Omega drives ?! I just installed them ?! lol

Chris - Yeah that's what i thought, i do it in 20's but i do it in 10's now lol :D Hehe Auto detect :) Oooo ! Getting closer ! Damn you ! :p Gunna do more CAREFUL o/c tomoz since i got all day lol and hopefully get a score close to Reef's hehe ! Already only 500 behind him really and beat him on Aquamark, and close on 3D Mark 05 :p

Just want to pass the 10,000 mark really lol :)

L8z !

Reaction score
Well seeing i have nothing else to do tonight, i reran AquaMark3 with the CPU overclocked to 3.1Ghz

Increased my score a bit on AquaMark3,

Chris,

Reaction score
going back to my earlier post is answer to chris' reply,

how come it doesn't invalid your warranty?

and doesn't this overclocking software take the fun out of overclocking?

chris,

would you be prepared to write an article on overclocking???

seems to be your area of expertise and i've noticed were getting quite a few post on this subject.

and i don't see the point in overclocking to beat mates by a Hz or two, makes no difference, now the guys that oc'd a P4 3Ghz to 5Ghz (ish can't remember exactly) thats impressive.

taking technology to the edge thats what it's about.

you up for it chris? maybe ian a send a chip or a card your way to play with.

J

Reaction score
(assuming you meant me) I'd love to write an article on overclocking - a chip or card for review would be awesome too!

Kye

Reaction score
I would rather under-clock my 6800 and live with the unlocked pipe and vertex shader ^_^

I was going to buy a NV5 silencer, but i dont need it if i dont know if the pipes and vertex shader work or not at the moment, otherwise im happy with what i have for the moment.

Reaction score
Chris - How/what will i notice the difference with the Omega drivers installed ?! lol

I can only get my o/c MHz to about 450/870 before it artifacts :( My Gainward 6600GT could do 1.o GHz ?! What's wrong ?! lol it doesn't finish 3D Mark sometimes now, and the screen goes massive and i have to restart etc...

Help lol need to restart now...

Reaction score
Well for a start dont worry about clock speeds, your 6600GT is clocked faster as its only 128bit so it needs the extra oomph to compete with the 6800, which has comparitavly low speeds yet is 256bit.

The omega drivers give better image quality with improved benching scores.

If 3DMark dosent finish, card is cloked too high. If you have the 6600GT there, i would be interested to see what that scored using the Omega drivers (you did UNINSTALL the old ones THEN install the omegas right??) and its built in OC'ing tool...

The 6600GT should be getting OVER 1200MHz STOCK

Ask a Question