Zapped Graphics card?!

Kye

Reaction score
i got my 6800 vanilla today!

after installing it in, and hoping my PSU could handle it ( it does, but only just! ) i took out the ageing FX5600.

the old card, FX5600 256mb, i gave too my cousin, whom i promised he could have it too replace his 440MMX.

its been in his PC briefly before. but after i put it in, and turning the PC on...nothing. the monitor stays off, the hard-drive, fans, everything goes then it mellows down and goes very quiet. no boot! although the PC is workin.

have i zapped the card?! i was waring a anti-static band, so it should'nt be. any suggestions what might be the problem.

( my cousin is very, very upset about this, since he was going too go buy thief 2. )

edit: the card, when doing nowt, is around 60*C!! is that right?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What happens when you put the old card back in?

Kye

Reaction score
the MMX? it works. its the graphics card.

the other PC is old, retail PC. but, it handled the FX card before. only thing different, i think it an extra RAM. but, they dont take much from the PSU. and even if it did, its not enough too make the FX not work.

if it is zapped, could i RMA it?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the FX5600 is under a year old and it is faulty then yes, it's likely you could RMA it. You'll probably have to have the original receipt and/or supplier's order number though.

But before you do anything, you'll have to prove the FX5600 is faulty. The only way I can see you doing that atm is putting it back in your machine and trying it.

A pain, I know, but less of a pain than going through the hassle of an RMA and then if the card's proved good by the supplier, having to pay the return postage.

If the FX5600 does work OK, I'd advise getting a more powerful PSU for your cousin's machine.

And it's very unlikely you'd destroy a grafix card with static, especially if you were wearing an anti-static strap.

Kye

Reaction score
so much for nvidia's UDA.
it was a driver problem. lol, the card works now! best thing is, i have a MX440 too pratice the thermal paste thing on!!! it has a cute little heatsink on it.

cousin almost cried, very happy indeed!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Kye said:
i killed the MX440.
:confused:

Mucks wonder off to the 'Mods Area' to have a private chat with the other Moderators about changing Kye's title to "Graphic Card Killer" or something to that effect ...

Kye

Reaction score
the card wont work. mind you, it was only too get the "feel" of removing and putting on paste. i have the confidence now too work on the 6800. although im not sure if i want too now :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How, exactly, did you kill it, Mr Kye?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Grafix Kard Killa

yep, has a nice ring to it... ;)

Kye

Reaction score
wet lint-free cloth, heatsink and core watered by cloth. didnt use static band.

im confident it wont work! dont make me try. it was only too see what taking off and putting on thermal compound is like. otherwise, it is a dead card. cleaned with water, and has thermal paste stuff on the surrounding...bits.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kye said:
wet lint-free cloth, heatsink and core watered by cloth. didnt use static band.

im confident it wont work! dont make me try. it was only too see what taking off and putting on thermal compound is like. otherwise, it is a dead card. cleaned with water, and has thermal paste stuff on the surrounding...bits.
Water & electronics don't mix.

Never, ever, ever, use water. (there are exceptions, like if you spill wine all over your keyboard, but that's a different matter).

Get yourself a new, small, paintbrush. Trim down as short as you can, about half inch/12.5mm.

Use that and some meths or isopropyl alcohol to clean off all the spilt heat sink compound. And a cloth if neccessary. Or cotton buds. NOT WATER.

Then remount original heatsink, if it came with two snap in retainers, anyway. If the original heatsink was 'glued' to the CPU, you'll need something like Arctic Silver 5 epoxy adhesive to secure it again.

Unless you plugged the card in whilst it was still wet WITH WATER, it's probably OK.

Don't waste a grafix card, give it a go ;)

Kye

Reaction score
the cloth was already wet.

what retail name might i find isopropyl alcohol? i mean, is a citric solution good enough?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can get isopropyl alcohol from some chemists.

If they ask you what you want it for tell them cleaning electronic equipment, tape & video heads.

Some won't serve you if they think you look like an alkie ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You could use Methelatid Spirit, you know that purple stuff. Smells extremely strong, burn the nose hairs off ya ;). But i've heard/read loads of people use nail varnish remover.

There is some proper stuff you can get from Overclockers, its made by Akasa and sells for around £5. Check it out here.

Kye

Reaction score
thank you! i plan on buying alot of stuff from overclockers soon, trying too find decent 6800 reviews with the heatpipes they sell.

just a reminder...you put paste on as thin as you can? thinner the better? also, some on the heatsink so it fills in the mirco valley thingy?

you put enough so there is a layer between the heatsink and the chip. this applies too CPU/heatsinks, grahpics cards etc?

muckshifter

Reaction score
But i've heard/read loads of people use nail varnish remover.
Don't ... nail varnish can contain a wax additive, to help pretty up your nails, but its no good for cleaning the 'gunk' off if you leave other gunk behind. ;)

Isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropanol, is a colorless liquid with a pleasant odor. It is highly flammable. Isopropyl alcohol is found in alcohol sponges, cleaning agents, and rubbing alcohol (though some rubbing alcohols contain ethanol), and is a good disinfectant. Most rubbing alcohol contains 70% isopropyl alcohol. Poisoning can occur through skin absorption, oral ingestion, or inhalation. Symptoms from ingestion, inhalation or absorption of large quantities include flushing, headache, dizziness, mental depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Alcohol baths or sponges to soothe a fever can lead to acute poisoning through skin absorption or inhalation. Instead, the Regional Poison Center suggests using tepid water as a sponge bath to fight fever.
... an alterative is good quality Vodka, though you tend to drink more than you use. :D

Ask a Question