Outlook not finding SMTP over dialup

I have one user that is trying to setup his Outlook 2003 to connect to the
company Exchange server using POP3 over a dialup connection. I have several
users who connect over broadband using the same setup and connection
parameters, but whenever I try to setup Outlook using a dialup it cannot find
the SMTP server. This has happened on three different laptops using two
different accounts on the same Exchange server. One of the accounts used has
been successfully setup on another computer, so I know it isn't an account
problem. The user I am setting this up for is currently using OWA, but need
to be able to view email offline so need Outlook.

I appreciate any help

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

do the user's internet providers allow access to 3rdp arty smtp servers?
Many are forcing users to use the isp SMTP and what worked 'yesterday' may
not work 'today'.

if the user only need email, set him up with http access.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/20030904.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

jj_wolven said:
I have one user that is trying to setup his Outlook 2003 to connect to the
company Exchange server using POP3 over a dialup connection. I have several
users who connect over broadband using the same setup and connection
parameters, but whenever I try to setup Outlook using a dialup it cannot find
the SMTP server. This has happened on three different laptops using two
different accounts on the same Exchange server. One of the accounts used has
been successfully setup on another computer, so I know it isn't an account
problem. The user I am setting this up for is currently using OWA, but need
to be able to view email offline so need Outlook.

I appreciate any help

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

do they all use the same ISP? Some isp's won't allow the use of other SMTP
servers - only their own.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"please help me tell me what are my doing" <please help me tell me what are