Outlook 2003 / Adobe Reader 6.0 Conflict

MR-KEN

Windows XP SP1 with Outlook 2003 Connecting to an Exchange 5.5 SP4 Server

I'm sure this is an Adobe issue, but I will pass on the information just the
same...

Upon installing Adobe Reader 6.0, I am no longer able to double-click on a
PDF attachment in Outlook 2003. Doing so gives the error, "MS Office
Outlook - The system cannot find the path specified." This error happens in
both Online Mode and Exchange Cache Mode.

I was able to open PDFs under Adobe Reader 5.x. using Outlook 2003
Adobe Reader 6.0 will open PDFs under Outlook 2000

Eric Shen [MSFT]

Hi MR-KEN,

It appears that Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 is not designed to work with
Outlook 2003. It may have changed the way to be called to open the files so
it is unable to be successfully opened in Outlook 2003. At this point, it
is mainly a problem in Acrobat Reader 6.0. I would recommend you report
this issue to them and ask for their support. Meanwhile, please try to test
with several different Outlook 2003 computers to see if this is a
consistent result. If so, we can try to work further to see how this
problem occurs.

If you need any assistance on Outlook side, please feel free to let me
know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Shen
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

| Subject: Outlook 2003 / Adobe Reader 6.0 Conflict
| From: "MR-KEN" <[email protected]>
| Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:58:23 GMT
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Windows XP SP1 with Outlook 2003 Connecting to an Exchange 5.5 SP4 Server
|
| I'm sure this is an Adobe issue, but I will pass on the information just
the
| same...
|
| Upon installing Adobe Reader 6.0, I am no longer able to double-click on a
| PDF attachment in Outlook 2003. Doing so gives the error, "MS Office
| Outlook - The system cannot find the path specified." This error happens
in
| both Online Mode and Exchange Cache Mode.
|
| I was able to open PDFs under Adobe Reader 5.x. using Outlook 2003
| Adobe Reader 6.0 will open PDFs under Outlook 2000

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

In addition to what Eric said, there is a November 24 update to Acrobat 6
that may address this issue. It is availabe at adobe.com

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer:
MR-KEN <[email protected]> asked:
| Windows XP SP1 with Outlook 2003 Connecting to an Exchange 5.5 SP4
| Server
|
| I'm sure this is an Adobe issue, but I will pass on the information
| just the same...
|
| Upon installing Adobe Reader 6.0, I am no longer able to double-click
| on a PDF attachment in Outlook 2003. Doing so gives the error, "MS
| Office Outlook - The system cannot find the path specified." This
| error happens in both Online Mode and Exchange Cache Mode.
|
| I was able to open PDFs under Adobe Reader 5.x. using Outlook 2003
| Adobe Reader 6.0 will open PDFs under Outlook 2000

Marie McFadden [MSFT]

Hi!

Looking at the Adobe site, it does not list Outlook 2003 as compatible with
Acrobat 6.0.
Please contact Adobe for compatibility information as your best source of
information on that product.

Thanks for your understanding & for posting in the newsgroups!

Best Regards,

Marie McFadden, MCSE NT4/2000, MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

MR-KEN

This appears to be an isolated issue with my PC. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled the reader and still get the same error. I have confirmed that
other users that have the same OS/OL2K3/Adobe 6.0 reader as I do are able to
open PDF e-mail attachments.

I am curious about your statement, however, that reads, "It appears that
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 is not designed to work with Outlook 2003". It
gave me the impression that you tried it too and it did not work when
perhaps a hypothesis was rendered. I believe it is more helpful to give
more factual replies rather then best guesses.

Rob Schneider

MR-KEN said:
This appears to be an isolated issue with my PC. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled the reader and still get the same error. I have confirmed that
other users that have the same OS/OL2K3/Adobe 6.0 reader as I do are able to
open PDF e-mail attachments.

I am curious about your statement, however, that reads, "It appears that
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 is not designed to work with Outlook 2003". It
gave me the impression that you tried it too and it did not work when
perhaps a hypothesis was rendered. I believe it is more helpful to give
more factual replies rather then best guesses.

I have no problems (that I've noticed) with OE 2003 and Adobe 6.0

Eric Shen [MSFT]

Hi MR-KEN,

I tested on my test machine Windows XP/Outlook 2003/Acrobat Reader 6.0. The
PDF attachments are opened without any problem. However, as this issue
occurs on your side, it is possible that there was some compatibility of
those two applications. I heard there was some compatibility issues so it
may occurs on some specific issues. :)

At this time, in order to troubleshoot further on this issue to find the
cause, please try the following steps:

1. Check if the same issue occurs with the other attachments in Outlook.
You can check if a Word attachment or Plain text attachment is able to be
opened.

2. If you double-click a PDF file directly from Windows Explorer, will it
be opened successfully?

As I am not familiar with Acrobat Reader 6.0, I am not sure how it works.
Thus, I can only guess how this issue occurs. According to this error
message, it means that Acrobat Reader is unable to find the file it would
like to open. Outlook has successfully called Acrobat Reader to open this
file but Acrobat Reader is unable to find the file Outlook saved. This is
why it reports this error message.

Another utility may helps us on this issue would by System Internals
FileMon. This utility will help use capture which file Acrobat Reader is
trying to open so we can know if this is correct or not. To download this
utility, refer to http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

- This is a third-party utility, so we may no warranties or guarantee on
its functionality, reliability or performance.

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything further I can help. I
look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Shen
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

MR-KEN

Great program! To answer your questions, all other attachments open fine
and PDFs open in other apps as well. After running Filemon, I see where the
problem lays. From the output below, you can see that OL is still trying to
execute the Adobe Reader from the 5.0 versions directory (which was
uninstalled):

76 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
77 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1" NAME INVALID Options: Open Access: All
78 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
79 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
80 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
81 6:00:17 AM OUTLOOK.EXE:1104 OPEN C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

So from here, I guess it is a matter of finding out how to change this so OL
looks in the proper place, which is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
6.0\Reader.

Thank you very much for you suggestions and the Filemon program. I'm sure
it will be very helpful in the future as well.

MR-KEN

Yeah, this was certainly an Adobe issue with regards to a poor upgrade
process. I when through the Registry and changed all the Acrobat 5.0 paths
to Acrobat 6.0 and everything worked fine.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pdf_auto_file\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 6.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\" \"%1\""

Thanks for all the help, this issue is resolved.