Out of Office Assistant and Emulating Out of Office Assistant

I have Outlook 2002, and am trying to set up my Out of Office Assistant. I've looked on the Microsoft support pages, and it appears that this feature is only available if am on a Microsoft Exchange Server. How do I confirm if I'm on a Microsoft Exchange Server? The support sites also list ways to emulate Out of Office Assistant via Automatic Reply, but it says that Outlook must be running for Auto Reply to work. I'm going to be away from my office for 2 weeks, and don't want to leave my computer running. Is there any way to let those who email me know that I'm out of the office?

William Tatum[MSFT]

Hi,

The proper way to check the Out of Office Assistant functionality is to verify if you are using the
Exchange Server service. All you need to do is:

1. Open Outlook
2. Go to Email Accounts...
3. Select "View or change existing e-mail accounts"
4. Click Next
5. Look for "Microsoft Exchange Server" listed in your account list

If you do not have this listed, then you will need to follow the kbarticles you referenced. These will help
you emulate the Out of Office Assistant. Unfortunately, you will need to leave Outlook up and running
while you are out. Here is the link to the article in case you need it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;311107

If you are using a 3rd party email account, you may want to see if they offer any Out of Office service.

--------------------
From: "=?Utf-8?B?Ymx1ZWo=?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Out of Office Assistant and Emulating Out of Office Assistant
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:31:04 -0700
I have Outlook 2002, and am trying to set up my Out of Office Assistant. I've looked on the Microsoft
support pages, and it appears that this feature is only available if am on a Microsoft Exchange Server.
How do I confirm if I'm on a Microsoft Exchange Server? The support sites also list ways to emulate
Out of Office Assistant via Automatic Reply, but it says that Outlook must be running for Auto Reply to
work. I'm going to be away from my office for 2 weeks, and don't want to leave my computer running.
Is there any way to let those who email me know that I'm out of the office?
William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications