{OT} newsreader wish

badgolferman

I am not a software programmer so I have no idea if something like this
can be done, but with all the discussion surrounding Google Groups I
thought of a newsreading application that I would like to see.

This would basically be a front end GUI for the Google Groups news
server that could be used instead of their broken web-based design.
The application would query the G2 server and download the
header/message information and present it to the user in a much better
interface than currently exists.

The advantage of using Google Groups as the news server would alleviate
the lack of free news servers and would be available through HTTP port
80 rather than NNTP port 119 that many businesses block.

Can this be done?

me

I am not a software programmer so I have no idea if
something like this can be done, but with all the
discussion surrounding Google Groups I thought of a
newsreading application that I would like to see.

This would basically be a front end GUI for the Google
Groups news server that could be used instead of their
broken web-based design. The application would query the G2
server and download the header/message information and
present it to the user in a much better interface than
currently exists.

The advantage of using Google Groups as the news server
would alleviate the lack of free news servers and would be
available through HTTP port 80 rather than NNTP port 119
that many businesses block.

Can this be done?

Hey,

This topic would be verrry interesting to the folks at
news.software.readers

Dave Turner

Can this be done?
Quite easily if you're a programmer - it's just talking HTTP on port 80,
nothing difficult.
I am not a software programmer
that throws a bit of a spanner in the works then