Newsgroups

bassbag

Ive just recieved this mail from my ISP....
Newsgroup News
First off, some important information. From the 1st January 2005, UK
Online will no longer be providing a Usenet newsgroup facility. This
means that you=3Fll be unable to to access or post to newsgroups from this
date.

Unfortunately, the number of our customers using newsgroups has declined
over the last few years, making it no longer economic to support these
services. Access to newsgroups are available at a low cost or free of
charge from people like Google Groups and Giganews.

In light of this ,what would be my best options for another news server
that i could use?.I use gravity.Would i be able to put another news
server in the server options? , or would the fact that i m using ukonline
as an ISP not permit it.I know i can use google advanced news group
search , but if possible id still like to use gravity.
Any help/suggestions welcome.
tia
me

Rod

Ive just recieved this mail from my ISP....
Newsgroup News
First off, some important information. From the 1st January 2005, UK
Online will no longer be providing a Usenet newsgroup facility. snip
In light of this ,what would be my best options for another news
server that i could use?.I use gravity.Would i be able to put another
news server in the server options?

Register for free here:

http://www.individual.net/

AFAIK a great number of people in this newsgroup are using this newsserver,
including me.
Reply to your registration could take some time.
It doesn't do binary groups, but it's a great server.
And you can use it with any newsreader, Gravity included.

bassbag

Register for free here:

http://www.individual.net/

AFAIK a great number of people in this newsgroup are using this newsserver,
including me.
Reply to your registration could take some time.
It doesn't do binary groups, but it's a great server.
And you can use it with any newsreader, Gravity included.
Thanks..This seems the to go with.I have registred and currently awaiting
registartion status.Would you know how to configure gravity to use this
service?
Tia
me

Arne Anka

Begin I alt.comp.freeware, sa bassbag utan att tänka först:

Sign up at <http://www.individual.net/> it's only text-groups, but free.

--
Arne Anka

Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

<http://starcruiser.dk/granpaw/>

jo

bassbag said:
In light of this ,what would be my best options for another news server
that i could use?.

For text only, news.individual as Rod has said. If you want binaries
also, Claranews is the best value UK newsserver offering a basic
account for 30GBP a year with a 10GB a month cap on downloads

Rod

Thanks for the link rod..i hadnt seen that before.I should have read the
individual.net set more closely as it shows how to setup there for
different newsreaders.

One more thing, news.individual.net registration is handled by a person,
not a computer. So it could take a while. Mine took about a week, but with
Christmas and New Years Eve coming up, it might take a bit longer.
For a good free news server hosting over 24000 newsgroups it's well worth
the wait in my opinion.

REM

Newsgroup News
First off, some important information. From the 1st January 2005, UK
Online will no longer be providing a Usenet newsgroup facility. This
means that you=3Fll be unable to to access or post to newsgroups from this
date.
Unfortunately, the number of our customers using newsgroups has declined
over the last few years, making it no longer economic to support these
services. Access to newsgroups are available at a low cost or free of
charge from people like Google Groups and Giganews.

That's pretty sad. My ISP outsourced to a rinky dink news server that
slapped ads onto each post. It was down pretty frequently to boot and
retention was spotty at best.

You can't go wrong with individual.net! (I hope anyway) It's a great
free service that I hope remains.

Conor

Newsgroup News
First off, some important information. From the 1st January 2005, UK
Online will no longer be providing a Usenet newsgroup facility. This
means that you=3Fll be unable to to access or post to newsgroups from this
date.[/QUOTE]

There was me thinking of going to UK Online. Don't think I'll bother..

bassbag

Newsgroup News
First off, some important information. From the 1st January 2005, UK
Online will no longer be providing a Usenet newsgroup facility. This
means that you=3Fll be unable to to access or post to newsgroups from this
date.

There was me thinking of going to UK Online. Don't think I'll bother..
[/QUOTE]
Actually i mailed customer services about It and mentioned about the very
short notice given , and the fact that if id been a prospective customer
looking for an ISP then i certainly would not have chosen ukonline for
that reason alone.That said ukonline have been a very good ISP for
conection and reliability and support.However the termination of
newsgroup support with just a weeks notice leaves a lot to be desired.
me

jo

Conor said:
There was me thinking of going to UK Online. Don't think I'll bother..

What's the problem? The way usenet is going it makes sense for ISP's
to dump it.
With a vey few exceptions, hasn't UK ISP's support for usenet always
been useless?
You not spent time in the hell holes of BTi and FS?

bassbag

What's the problem? The way usenet is going it makes sense for ISP's
to dump it.
With a vey few exceptions, hasn't UK ISP's support for usenet always
been useless?
You not spent time in the hell holes of BTi and FS?
Why does it make sense for ISPs to dump it?, and what way is usenet
going?.If it is purely financial,then why doesnt the ISP charge (though
personally i would have thought the monthly subscription should include
that anyway)I used freeserve as an ISP before ukonline for 3 years and
never had any problems with usenet.Ive never had any problems with
ukonline either....until now.
me

jo

bassbag said:
Why does it make sense for ISPs to dump it?, and what way is usenet
going?.If it is purely financial,then why doesnt the ISP charge (though
personally i would have thought the monthly subscription should include
that anyway)I used freeserve as an ISP before ukonline for 3 years and
never had any problems with usenet.Ive never had any problems with
ukonline either....until now.

Binary usenet is going silly as broadband spreads. Keeping a binary
usenet feed is a daft capital outlay and requires a lot of commitment
I asume you don't use binaries if you were happy with FS. Personally I
always found FS's text feed to be shakier than most; and their binary
feed is useless.

bassbag

Binary usenet is going silly as broadband spreads. Keeping a binary
usenet feed is a daft capital outlay and requires a lot of commitment
I asume you don't use binaries if you were happy with FS. Personally I
always found FS's text feed to be shakier than most; and their binary
feed is useless.
Ahh i see where you are coming from now ,and yes you are correct that i
dont and never have used binaries...i just like newsgroups for the wealth
of information available really.
me