Order Backup Disks from Dell - for Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Michael,

I replied to your email with my address, hope it made it back
to you. I'm on internet cable, sometimes they get lost during
a rain storm. Weird stuff that the cable techies cannot or will
not explain. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Dell Free Disk$$$$$$

Well, it looked like I was finally going to find good service coming from Dell after owning my beloved inspiron 1720 for 9 months and after about a dozen 'out of body'..'out of country', out of control, customer service experiences.
I was given the impression that I was able , as a qualified original purchaser, to receive 'one set of latest software for my unit'. Wow!
......no, WHOA!!!!! Tonight, when I went to my Dell sight....what did I find but a bill for 29+ dollars for the replacement cds!! Needless to say it was easy for them to charge me as I have an account with them, they kept it open for me after I paid my inspiron off in full, first bill. My first hassle with CS. (later they did deduct the bogus finance charge, after letting me know I should have read the contract first and paid on time?...oh well, I got a heart felt apology)..."so sorry sir, just a small error in billing". Anyway, the point here is, I am incredibly pleased with my Inspiron 1720...which tweaked with drivers not available thru Dell, makes for a fine desktop replacement. However, I have never dealt with a firm that has a CS department as bad as its product is good.

I am led to believe now that the software that should have come with my unit ...and is advertised without a price, is going to cost me almost thirty dollars!!!!! Do I sound jaded about this?

This must be a mistake...please? Right? I am afraid to talk to the Dell folks for fear that I am goin to get the reps name and location and end up spending the rest of my life in a New Delhi jail for throttling with intent to squeeze out the last of their Karma.

Seriously now, anyone else have this experience with Dell? I would never sink so low as to steam open seals, burn copies, and return the cds for a refund. I wonder if my wife would............?lol

Reaction score
I received free WIN XP disks last March from Dell. They are supposed
to honor the replacement disks due to a lawsuit settlement. I bet they
changed the web address to make it harder to find the right link. Free
software gigs are always buried to reduce the free sales to get people
to buy disks. Business is down so it could be the offer ended or they are
cutting back on freebies.

Customer Svc is kind of bad. Never spoke to an American, not that I dislike
foreigners but the language barrier makes it more difficult to fix tech issues that I can't resolve. Microsoft tech support is the same but they are better trained techies. I also found that MS has a free tech support by email that works good and its free in comparison to the $39 fee service. The email service takes longer to resolve issues but there is no language barrier issue.

Reaction score
Hi
Have just tried to get the back up discs from Dell and been refused as I bought the laptop in Sept 2008 and they only supply discs to customers who have bought within the last 6 months.
How did you manage to get them please?
I called 0870 906 0010 and was passed from pillar to post as no one knew about the free discs.
Thanks
Sally.

Reaction score
bubbsa33 said:
Hi
Have just tried to get the back up discs from Dell and been refused as I bought the laptop in Sept 2008 and they only supply discs to customers who have bought within the last 6 months.
I called 0870 906 0010 and was passed from pillar to post as no one knew about the free discs.
Thanks
Sally.

What is the fault with your computer, maybe start a thread and hopefully one of us can help you, or point you in the right direction for help..

Reaction score
Hi Madxgraphics
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 which I shows the error message
Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
this error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CDROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
File: \Boot\BCD

Staus: 0xc00000e9

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

Having just totally messed up my son's pc and had to put a new hard drive into that I am a bit wary of messing this one up too!!

Reaction score
bubbsa33 said:
Hi
Thanks
Sally.

I saw the post on this site and ordered online. I bet they canceled the offer after learning that people were posting the offer online. Tough times and they cut costs to save money.

Try Craigslist.com Computer section or Ebay, people sell disks all the time. Just make sure they give you the book or the code key off the back of the book so you can unlock the software. WIN XP can be loaded on up to 2 PC's I believe. Someone chime in if they know for sure.

Also, now that Windows Vista is for sale, Windows XP is cheaper. I've seen WIN XP new disks on Ebay for $25.

Reaction score
Dell customer service are very annoying.:mad:

My laptop was purchased direct from Dell 7 months ago and they will not provide the discs as I did not contact them within 6 months. If they provide the discs it will cost way over £100 am too angry to remember.

But have had loads of help from their tech support so am happy again.:)

Will write to Dell H/O and have a moan anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question