One IE Favorite Not Working

Parker

Hello All,

I have a client that had a HDD failure on his laptop but I was able to save
all of his info. I had copied all of his favorites to his user profile and
he has found that 1 of the favorites I copied will take him to his banking
site but will not allow him to login. IE6 gets about 3 bars then stalls. I
had added the site to the trusted websites and cleared all cookies and temp
files. I also added the website to the popup blocker to allow popups from
this site. His security and privacy is on medium ( I believe xp pro sp2
defaults to this ). He had called his bank and they say they are up and
running fine. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks For Any Responses in Advance

Don Varnau

Hi,
Have you tried creating a new Favorite (internet shortcut?) Can the client
login if he navigates to the login page without using the shortcut?

Another possibility... you might try deleting the History and Temporary
Internet Files *folders* There might be a problem with one of those folders
or its index.dat file. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Possibly... download Protected Storage PassView from
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html Delete any stored usernames/passwords
from the bank site.

[Assuming XP SP2]
Even more possibilities:
813444 - Cannot Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Sites:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
870700 - How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with IE 6
[XP] SP2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Parker

Thanks for repsonding Don,

The shortcut does work the problem is that when he tries to log in it never
gets to that page. It also never gives us a message other than "You are
Trying to Access a Site in Your Trusted Sites Do You Want to Continue" He
clicks Yes then it just never loads the page. I had emptied cookies and
temp internet files, though I did not clear History. The Sites you had
links for may be the clue. Im going to try to empty the SSL and the
AutoComplete areas in IE6. I'l report back when Ive given these a try.

Thanks Again

Parker said:
Hello All,

I have a client that had a HDD failure on his laptop but I was able to save
all of his info. I had copied all of his favorites to his user profile and
he has found that 1 of the favorites I copied will take him to his
banking
site but will not allow him to login. IE6 gets about 3 bars then stalls. I
had added the site to the trusted websites and cleared all cookies and temp
files. I also added the website to the popup blocker to allow popups from
this site. His security and privacy is on medium ( I believe xp pro sp2
defaults to this ). He had called his bank and they say they are up and
running fine. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks For Any Responses in Advance

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

Unable to access secure sites:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/17.html

Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://www.ie-vista.com
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Inetexplorer has changed - for instructions on how to
find old URLs, go here:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/archive/2005/05/14/46971.aspx

Parker said:
Hello All,

I have a client that had a HDD failure on his laptop but I was able to save
all of his info. I had copied all of his favorites to his user profile and
he has found that 1 of the favorites I copied will take him to his
banking
site but will not allow him to login. IE6 gets about 3 bars then
stalls. I
had added the site to the trusted websites and cleared all cookies and temp
files. I also added the website to the popup blocker to allow popups
from
this site. His security and privacy is on medium ( I believe xp pro sp2
defaults to this ). He had called his bank and they say they are up and
running fine. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks For Any Responses in Advance

Parker

Hello Again Don,

Im sorry to say that nothing worked from the links or the suggestions. I'm
having him call the bank and see if something changed in his account,or
settings etc. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Thank You Again!

Parker said:
Hello All,

I have a client that had a HDD failure on his laptop but I was able to save
all of his info. I had copied all of his favorites to his user profile and
he has found that 1 of the favorites I copied will take him to his
banking
site but will not allow him to login. IE6 gets about 3 bars then
stalls. I
had added the site to the trusted websites and cleared all cookies and temp
files. I also added the website to the popup blocker to allow popups
from
this site. His security and privacy is on medium ( I believe xp pro sp2
defaults to this ). He had called his bank and they say they are up and
running fine. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks For Any Responses in Advance

Parker

I apologize Sandi I hadnt refreshed OE to see your response. Your
suggestions are very similiar and I have tried your fixes. The only thing I
have not done is re-registrar the .dlls. This is a brand new machine with
SP2. Im waiting to hear back from the client to see if the bank has
settings I'm not aware of.

Thank You for Your Repsonse

"Parker" <nospam[at]nospam.com> wrote in message
[...]

Don and Sandi,
I have found that the problem was flash player plugin that turned out to be
a damaged install. I deleted it and reinstalled the plugin. It was working
fine after I had sone this. Thank you again for your responses and I have
bookmarked your sites for future problems.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thanks for reporting back. It seems that there's no end to the list of
programs that can cause problems with IE. :-o

Don