OL 2000 on Windows Vista: Accessing Contacts?

A Baffled User

As it happens, I've just worked out a way to solve the well documented
problems you refer to. For those of you out there who would like to continue
using Outlook 2000 on Vista in Internet Mail Only mode, here is how it can
be done:

First, follow the instructions posted on Scott's Blog, at
http://miniblurb.wordpress.com/outlook-2000-on-vista/ to stop Outlook from
forcing you to go through the setup process every time you open the program.
Then, in order to have access to the OL Contacts you already have, export
your OL Contacts to a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file (instructions for
this operation can be found at
http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et090604.htm). Then find the
Windows Contacts file, called simply "Contacts," which should be located
under your username on the Windows Explorer hierarchy, and import the CSV
file you've just created into the Windows Contacts folder.

Once you have done these things, you will be able to access your Contacts
via the To: button at the top of your OL e-mail message. You will not,
however, have the autocomplete functionality, when you type a partial e-mail
address into the To: field, that you had with Outlook.

Good luck!

Joan

Russ Valentine said:
It is. That version is not supported on Vista, hence the error message.
Well documented:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
A Baffled User said:
I don't know what "OP" means. I'm using no other form of e-mail than
Internet Mail, if that's what you mean.

Russ Valentine said:
You. The original poster.
If you don't know what version you are using, look in Help About, line
2.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Joan

Actually it depends entirely on which mail support mode the OP is
using, which he had not the courtesy to post. Neither is supported on
Vista, of course.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
wrote in message
The movie--Juno--was great
I'll keep that in mind. It won't be out in Holland for another 3
weeks and even 2 months before it will be released in Germany...

You'll have to add the Outlook Address Book service. Can't remember
Outlook 2000 by heart anymore but I believe there is an Add... button
in Accounts but instead of choosing to add an email account or
pst-file, you can also choose to add the Outlook Address Book
service. After that, things should be ok for you.

-----

The movie--Juno--was great, thanks! Unfortunately, my Contacts still
aren't interacting with my OL program...

My contacts *are* visible in the Outlook Contacts folder. They just
are not accessible in the usual manner. I can, for example, click on
any of my hundreds of contacts on the list and *manually* copy an
e-mail address from an individual Contacts file and *paste* it into
the To: field of an e-mail. But I cannot get the e-mail address to
appear in that To: field by either typing the first few letters of
the contact's name into the field or by clicking the To: button and
choosing the contact's name. There is some kind of disconnect.

When I go to Tools --> Accounts ("Services" is not a choice), I find
the one (default) ISP I have set up. Under Properties for that ISP,
the tabs are General, Servers, Connection, and Advanced. None of
those tabs offers the option of adding Outlook Address Book.

When I right-click on Contacts in the folder list and then click
Properties-->Outlook Address Book, "Show this folder as an e-mail
address book" is grayed out and there is a similarly grayed-out
check mark in the square field attached to it. Beneath what I've
just described, under "Name of the address book," it says,
"Contacts" in a field that, like the grayed-out ones above, is not
open to modification.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted you to know that I have
followed your instructions to the letter!

Joan

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in message
This has nothing to do with Vista; you're using Outlook. If your
contact in the Contacts folder in Outlook but not visible in your
Address Book you'll need to add the Outlook Address Book service
via Tools-> Accounts (or Services depending on your Outlook mode).
Then right click your Contacts folder-> Properties and set the
option to use it as an address list.

-----

I'm not using a WAB file. WAB is the kind of file to which *Vista*
assigns contact information. I am using my decades-old MS Outlook
Contacts file, but my program, as installed on Windows Vista, does
not access the Contacts file.

Say, for instance, I want to compose a brand-new message in my OL
2000 on Vista program. I click New Message and then I click the
To: button. Nothing happens. There are no addresses visible there
to choose from, even though my Contacts folder is exactly where it
belongs.

Joan

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in message
Why are you using a wab-file in the first place? Outlook has a
Contacts folder to keep your contacts in. You'll need to convert
it on a Windows XP machine since Vista doesn't offer wab-support.

-----

I have just bought a new HP Pavilion a6250t desktop computer
loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have succeeded at
installing and tweaking my Outlook 2000 program, from Office
2000 Small Business, so it works on this OS. (For help with
this, see the wonderful step-by-step instructions provided by
Scott's Blog at
http://miniblurb.wordpress.com/outlook-2000-on-vista/.) I have
not, however, been able to access my huge list of Contacts
compiled over the course of years on the Vista machine. Has
anyone found a way to transfer OL Contacts into the Windows
Address Book (WAB) that Vista makes you use?

Thanks!

Joan

Roady [MVP]

Let's go one step back; are you in Corporate/Workgroup mode or in Internet
Only mode?
Choose Help-> About to look that up.

IIRC: On the Mail Delivery tab at the bottom you can change your Outlook
mode.

Note that you can run into many more issues with Outlook 2000. You are
probably much better off using Windows (Live) Mail if you do not want to
invest in an Outlook upgrade.

A Baffled User

Thanks! I'm in Internet Mail Only mode.

I have found a way to at least work around the problems I was having (see
below), but I may try the Corporate/Workgroup option just to see how it
works. Many thanks.

To use Outlook 2000 on Vista in Internet Mail Only mode, first, follow the
[...]

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Egad - use a 9 year old program made for the W95-98 OS on Vista OS that is programmed completely different.

Guess some folks just don't understand obsolete.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, A Baffled User asked:

| As it happens, I've just worked out a way to solve the well documented
| problems you refer to. For those of you out there who would like to
| continue using Outlook 2000 on Vista in Internet Mail Only mode, here
| is how it can be done:
|
| First, follow the instructions posted on Scott's Blog, at
| http://miniblurb.wordpress.com/outlook-2000-on-vista/ to stop Outlook
| from forcing you to go through the setup process every time you open
| the program. Then, in order to have access to the OL Contacts you
| already have, export your OL Contacts to a CSV (Comma Separated
| Values) file (instructions for this operation can be found at
| http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et090604.htm). Then find the
| Windows Contacts file, called simply "Contacts," which should be
| located under your username on the Windows Explorer hierarchy, and
| import the CSV file you've just created into the Windows Contacts
| folder.
|
| Once you have done these things, you will be able to access your
| Contacts via the To: button at the top of your OL e-mail message. You
| will not, however, have the autocomplete functionality, when you type
| a partial e-mail address into the To: field, that you had with
| Outlook.
|
| Good luck!
|
| Joan
|
| || It is. That version is not supported on Vista, hence the error
|| message. Well documented:
|| http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
|| --
|| Russ Valentine
|| [MVP-Outlook]
||| Internet Mail, if that's what you mean.

A Baffled User

Why should I be forced to trade in a program with which I am totally
satisfied because of an operating system with which I am anything but? Do
you really think that things are automatically superior because they are
newer? Egad, indeed!

Egad - use a 9 year old program made for the W95-98 OS on Vista OS that is
programmed completely different.

Guess some folks just don't understand obsolete.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, A Baffled User asked:

| As it happens, I've just worked out a way to solve the well documented
| problems you refer to. For those of you out there who would like to
| continue using Outlook 2000 on Vista in Internet Mail Only mode, here
| is how it can be done:
|
| First, follow the instructions posted on Scott's Blog, at
| http://miniblurb.wordpress.com/outlook-2000-on-vista/ to stop Outlook
| from forcing you to go through the setup process every time you open
| the program. Then, in order to have access to the OL Contacts you
| already have, export your OL Contacts to a CSV (Comma Separated
| Values) file (instructions for this operation can be found at
| http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et090604.htm). Then find the
| Windows Contacts file, called simply "Contacts," which should be
| located under your username on the Windows Explorer hierarchy, and
| import the CSV file you've just created into the Windows Contacts
| folder.
|
| Once you have done these things, you will be able to access your
| Contacts via the To: button at the top of your OL e-mail message. You
| will not, however, have the autocomplete functionality, when you type
| a partial e-mail address into the To: field, that you had with
| Outlook.
|
| Good luck!
|
| Joan
|
| || It is. That version is not supported on Vista, hence the error
|| message. Well documented:
|| http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
|| --
|| Russ Valentine
|| [MVP-Outlook]
||| Internet Mail, if that's what you mean.

Brian Tillman

A Baffled User said:
Why should I be forced to trade in a program with which I am totally
satisfied because of an operating system with which I am anything
but? Do you really think that things are automatically superior
because they are newer? Egad, indeed!

If you're not happy with Vista, why did you choose it? Why didn't you
install XP?

Brian Tillman

A Baffled User said:
My previous post, re the tabs available under Tools>Options, somehow
got sent before I meant it to. I wanted to add that OL 2000 Help also
tells me that there should be a "Services" option under Tools. There
isn't.

Not if it's in IMO mode. Then it's Tools>Accounts. If it's in
Corporate/Workgroup mode, you'll see Tools>Services instead. That;s why I
said to use CW mode. Tools>Mail Delivery>Reconfigure Mail Support.

A Baffled User

Brian Tillman said:
OL 2000 should work on Vista and access its Contacts folder just fine if
you switch it to Corporate/Workgroup mode. That will make it fairly easy
to add the Outlook Address Book service to the mail profile.

I finally got around to trying this today--it works great! Thank you so
much, Brian!!

Best,
Joan