OL 2000 on Windows Vista: Accessing Contacts?

A Baffled User

I have just bought a new HP Pavilion a6250t desktop computer loaded with
Windows Vista Home Premium. I have succeeded at installing and tweaking my
Outlook 2000 program, from Office 2000 Small Business, so it works on this
OS. (For help with this, see the wonderful step-by-step instructions
provided by Scott's Blog at
http://miniblurb.wordpress.com/outlook-2000-on-vista/.) I have not, however,
been able to access my huge list of Contacts compiled over the course of
years on the Vista machine. Has anyone found a way to transfer OL Contacts
into the Windows Address Book (WAB) that Vista makes you use?

Thanks!

Joan

Roady [MVP]

Why are you using a wab-file in the first place? Outlook has a Contacts
folder to keep your contacts in. You'll need to convert it on a Windows XP
machine since Vista doesn't offer wab-support.

A Baffled User

I'm not using a WAB file. WAB is the kind of file to which *Vista* assigns
contact information. I am using my decades-old MS Outlook Contacts file, but
my program, as installed on Windows Vista, does not access the Contacts
file.

Say, for instance, I want to compose a brand-new message in my OL 2000 on
Vista program. I click New Message and then I click the To: button. Nothing
happens. There are no addresses visible there to choose from, even though my
Contacts folder is exactly where it belongs.

Joan

Roady [MVP]

This has nothing to do with Vista; you're using Outlook. If your contact in
the Contacts folder in Outlook but not visible in your Address Book you'll
need to add the Outlook Address Book service via Tools-> Accounts (or
Services depending on your Outlook mode).
Then right click your Contacts folder-> Properties and set the option to use
it as an address list.

A Baffled User

The movie--Juno--was great, thanks! Unfortunately, my Contacts still aren't
interacting with my OL program...

My contacts *are* visible in the Outlook Contacts folder. They just are not
accessible in the usual manner. I can, for example, click on any of my
hundreds of contacts on the list and *manually* copy an e-mail address from
an individual Contacts file and *paste* it into the To: field of an e-mail.
But I cannot get the e-mail address to appear in that To: field by either
typing the first few letters of the contact's name into the field or by
clicking the To: button and choosing the contact's name. There is some kind
of disconnect.

When I go to Tools --> Accounts ("Services" is not a choice), I find the one
(default) ISP I have set up. Under Properties for that ISP, the tabs are
General, Servers, Connection, and Advanced. None of those tabs offers the
option of adding Outlook Address Book.

When I right-click on Contacts in the folder list and then click
Properties-->Outlook Address Book, "Show this folder as an e-mail address
book" is grayed out and there is a similarly grayed-out check mark in the
square field attached to it. Beneath what I've just described, under "Name
of the address book," it says, "Contacts" in a field that, like the
grayed-out ones above, is not open to modification.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted you to know that I have followed
your instructions to the letter!

Joan

Roady [MVP]

The movie--Juno--was great
I'll keep that in mind. It won't be out in Holland for another 3 weeks and
even 2 months before it will be released in Germany...

You'll have to add the Outlook Address Book service. Can't remember Outlook
2000 by heart anymore but I believe there is an Add... button in Accounts
but instead of choosing to add an email account or pst-file, you can also
choose to add the Outlook Address Book service. After that, things should be
ok for you.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Actually it depends entirely on which mail support mode the OP is using,
which he had not the courtesy to post. Neither is supported on Vista, of
course.

A Baffled User

Okay, I'll try. Will let you know how I make out.

I think that Juno will be worth the wait. Filmed in Vancouver, very sweet.

So how's the ethnic situation in Holland these days? From what I hear,
you've had it pretty rough these last couple of years.

Joan in North America

A Baffled User

What does OP stand for? How do I determine what mail support mode the OP is
using?

Joan

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Roady said:
I'll keep that in mind. It won't be out in Holland for another 3 weeks
and even 2 months before it will be released in Germany...

You'll have to add the Outlook Address Book service. Can't remember
Outlook 2000 by heart anymore but I believe there is an Add... button in
Accounts but instead of choosing to add an email account or pst-file, you
can also choose to add the Outlook Address Book service. After that,
things should be ok for you.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You. The original poster.
If you don't know what version you are using, look in Help About, line 2.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

-----

wrote in message
[...]

Haha, it's what we known for outside our borders and if not that there is
always the drugs issue ;-) But it's like with a lot of things in live; when
you are living in the middle of it, you're the last who takes notice. As
long as people are talking about it instead of fighting about it, it's
actually kind of interesting and good. Who knows; it might actually lead to
something that can apply to a worldwide solution...

Talking about solutions; are you ever going to figure out how you can safe
the dollar? ;-)
When introduced 1 Euro rated $0.85 and now $1.57

A Baffled User

I don't know what "OP" means. I'm using no other form of e-mail than
Internet Mail, if that's what you mean.

Russ Valentine said:
Actually it depends entirely on which mail support mode the OP is using,
which he had not the courtesy to post. Neither is supported on Vista, of
course.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
in message The movie--Juno--was great

wrote in message
[...]

That would be great. God knows the world needs one! As far as the dollar is
concerned, I'm sure it would help if George Bush stopped wasting billions on
the Iraq war--to say nothing of American and Iraqi lives.

So is there no hope for my OL 2000 ever being able to use my Contacts
normally?

Brian Tillman

A Baffled User said:
So is there no hope for my OL 2000 ever being able to use my Contacts
normally?

OL 2000 should work on Vista and access its Contacts folder just fine if you
switch it to Corporate/Workgroup mode. That will make it fairly easy to add
the Outlook Address Book service to the mail profile.

A Baffled User

To change my e-mail configuration, OL 2000 Help tells me to click on
Tools>Options>Mail Services. The only tabs that are available in my program
under Tools>Options are Preferences, Mail Delivery, Mail Format, Spelling,
Security, and Advanced. None of these tabs contains an option called Mail
Services.

A Baffled User

My previous post, re the tabs available under Tools>Options, somehow got
sent before I meant it to. I wanted to add that OL 2000 Help also tells me
that there should be a "Services" option under Tools. There isn't.

A Baffled User

Another way of explaining the problem I'm having is to say that when I click
on Contacts in the Folder List of OL 2000, I see all my contacts listed
there as usual; but when I click on the little address book icon on the OL
toolbar, I get a multi-frame dialog box *called* Contacts, but where the
contact information should be listed, it says, "This folder is empty."

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It is. That version is not supported on Vista, hence the error message. Well
documented:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm

--
Russ Valentine