OE problem

Glenn

I don't see a forum for OE so I hope IE guys can help me.

Running a P4 /w 2.2 G and 512M memory.

OE6 6.00.2900.2180 (XPSP_SP2_rtm.040803-2158)

Copy of first line in case it is cut.

I don't see a forum for OE so I hope IE guys can help me.

OK. My problems. The line above is because it often (but not always)
cuts
off the first 3 words of a post. Can't find out why. Anyone??

I have mine set up with the list of subjects on top and the "From: To:
and
Subject" window on the bottom half. Always have and assume it is standard
with most folks. When I reply to a post, it used to just send and return
me
to the post I was replying to. Now it erases the top window except for
the
little squares showing where the subjects WERE. It hangs up there until I
click a different folder (newsgroup) and then go back to my original one
(like yours) and it will list normally again except it starts at the top
again and I have to scroll down to the post I was replying to. What has
changed? I have run 6 different virus finders and none of them find
anything. I just checked and I have all the MS updates.

This is a hard thing to explain and maybe I failed but feel free to ask me
for any clarification you need and I'll try. One friend wants me to try
Firefox but I have used MS since there was a MS and want to continue but
this is driving me nuts.

Glenn

Glenn

Please note also the chopped up sentences. It wasn't typed that way. I'll
put a blank line above this to make sure the whole line gets through.

Glenn

PA Bear

1. OE6-specific newsgroup:

2. Try cleaning up your newsgroups
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews) and then compacting
all folders.

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Glenn

Thank you but you notice I have been using OE forever. I know when to use
an enter key and those chopped sentences didn't have that happen to them by
me.

Most of us old timers know a hard return. ;)

Glenn

Glenn

No, I just hit reply usually, however the first one you saw that was
chopped
up was created via "new" for a new post. I'll try to send this without a
blank line above it and see if it "crops" it.

Glenn

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Glenn said:
No, I just hit reply usually, however the first one you saw that was
chopped
up was created via "new" for a new post. I'll try to send this without a
blank line above it and see if it "crops" it.

Glenn

Try this:
Go to Tools | Options | Send and for thenews sending format click Plain Text
Settings. Set the encoding to MIME/None.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Glenn

Frank Saunders said:
Try this:
Go to Tools | Options | Send and for thenews sending format click Plain
Text Settings. Set the encoding to MIME/None.

I'll try it. It was set to Uuencode, what ever that is. The MIME was not
clicked. I clicked it and it was set to none and I accepted that. I'll see
if this goes through with out any 'chops'.

Thanks anyway.

Glenn

Glenn

The main problem, the blanking of the upper screen, is caused by AntiVir
Guard, free version. I can deactivate it and the problem is gone,
reactivate it and it comes back. A excerpt from AntiVir below........

If the possibilities our forum offers you are not enough and you prefer the
support of our support team, then we recommend you to change to AntiVir
Personal Edition Premium. With this version you will additionally get access
to our support hotline.

In another words, buy the pro and we will help you. I suppose that is just
good business but they should debug the free version if they are going to
put it out.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Glenn

Bruce Hagen

Dump it and get AVG. When installing, choose Custom Mode and
uncheck e-mail scanning.

AVG:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

[...]

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <[email protected]>

Glenn

Thanks Bruce. Already did except the uncheck feature. I'll see if it can
still be done.

Glenn

Glenn

The last post erased the screen again like the old problem and I have AVG.
I have disabled the e-mail scanning and I'll see if this one behaves.

Glenn

Thanks Bruce. Already did except the uncheck feature. I'll see if it can
still be done.

Glenn

Glenn

It is still erasing. I'll try with this one disabling AVG entirely.

If it still does it then I can only assume the problem is in OE.

Glenn

Glenn

I must have been wrong about AntiVir. With AVG SHUTOFF the top screen is
still erasing when I hit send and hangs up until I click another newsgroup
and then I can go back to the newsgroup that had the post in it that I was
answering but it starts at the top and I have to scrawl down to the post I
answered. OE seems to have a bug.

Is there a way to delete OE completely and reload it with a download to make
sure it is fresh?

Glenn

Bruce Hagen

PA Bear

Your current Identity may have been damaged by your old AV app, especially
if its the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new
Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well,
import messages from the old Identity before deleting it
(File>Identities>Manage Identities).

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.