Windows XP Not booting - driver issue (I think)

Reaction score
MSI P43NEO
Core 2 Duo E4600
Gigabyte GV NX84S512H GS8400 512mb
1 gig PC 5300 Samsung memory (2x512 sticks)
Maxtor IDE 80 gig hard disk (with XP installed)

Samsung SATA 250Gb hard disk
LG IDE DVD Rewriter
Akasa Zen case
Tagan 530w modular PSU

Originally built system earlier this year which was working fine until one day when it stopped working. Through processs of elimination , the only part that could be faulty was the motherboard. It had been second hand but I then bought a brand new one to replace it.

When reinstalled the motherboard I had problems with system booting - it booted fine through BIOS screens and started loading XP but then effectively stuck on the Windows XP screen.

I eventually did a fresh instal of XP - system worked fine as I added drivers until I added the nVidia driver from CD and it immediately stuck on the XP boot up screen. Found that by disabling the nvidia vga driver in device manager it booted fine. I unistalled the nvidia driver and installed the latest one from the Gigabyte site but it stuck again on the XP boot screen.

Currently have disabled driver in device manager and it's booting fine.

How do I get this sorted?

Reaction score
I have same issue with new Nvidia driver. Go to an older one

oh and BTW

Welcome to the forum

Your welcome ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Go to nVidia and get the latest drivers

:user:

Reaction score
Have installed latest driver from nVidia site.

Heart in mouth as boot up had gone very smoothly then stopped in XP screen. Display momentarily flickered then continued booting into XP.

Tried this 4 times and has done it each time.

Not the smoothest of boots but it's working

Thanks

Reaction score
Spoke to soon
Next time I booted up, it stuck on the XP screen. I rebooted it, used "last known good configuration" and it booted successfully albeit with the very slight flickering pause on the XP screen.

The time after that it stuck again on the XP screen so I rebooted and again using "last known good configuration" it then booted successfully again with the very slight pause/flicker on the XP screen.

Any suggestions please

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's a link to lots of Nvidia drivers for XP 32 Bit (I'm assuming your version of XP is 32 Bit).

El Linko

The latest are 190.56 and I'll also assume they're the ones you're using now.

If they're not, then try 190.56.

If you are using 190.56 then work backwards until you find a driver that's stable.

Good luck.

Reaction score
190.56 was a beta - definitely didn't like it. got a blank screen. Have tried 13 different versions as advised. Some driver versions much worse, none any better. Still sticks and then sometimes boots. If I disable driver I get a nice smooth boot.

Anything else to try?

Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you've tried 13 different drivers it's definitely not the driver then is it?

There's either a software problem somewhere or a hardware problem, grafix card most likely but possibly motherboard.

I know that's probably an obvious thing to say but it be the truth.

It would be ideal to either 1) Try another graphics card or 2) Reinstall Windows, apply all updates and try again.

Can't really think of anything else.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Don't know about Nvidia but ATI recomend using thier special tool to get rid of all traces of old drivers to stop conflicts. Do Nvidia have a tool like that. ??

:)

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ask a Question