Windows XP Corrupt Graphics Driver

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Or should it be Corrupted Graphics Driver?

I have an old computer that has done well for five years.

Motherboard: Microstar MS6382
Physical Memory: 256MB
CPU:AMD Athlon XP
Vid Proc:GeForce 4 MX420
AntiVirus:AVG
AntiSpyware:Spybot
Connection:56K Modem

I told you it was old!

There have been recent problems with freezing of the screen usually very soon after booting up.It is very variable and intermittent. I sometimes get a message telling me that I have a problem with the Graphics Driver.

As an absolute novice regarding the intricacies and internal aspects of computers I wonder if I can simply download a new version of the nVidia driver. I'm sure that someone amongst the group of experts who regularly write in the forums will be able to help.Any advice would be appreciated.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, its best to remove the old ones first. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Yes, its best to remove the old ones first. :)

Thanks again V_R for your advice.One other problem is that (don't laugh) I'm NOT on broadband and the download is 61 MB. This could take a week to download on my coal fired system. Is there any other way of doing this such as downloading it onto my daughter's super broadband system, copying it onto a CD and then getting it onto my system.Or am I talking baloney?

Reaction score
I Download And Burn Drivers To Disk All The Time To Use On Other Machines.i Use Driverguide.com.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
JIM451 said:
I Download And Burn Drivers To Disk All The Time To Use On Other Machines.i Use Driverguide.com.

Thanks JIM451 I'll give it a try.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Thanks again V_R for your advice.One other problem is that (don't laugh) I'm NOT on broadband and the download is 61 MB. This could take a week to download on my coal fired system. Is there any other way of doing this such as downloading it onto my daughter's super broadband system, copying it onto a CD and then getting it onto my system.Or am I talking baloney?
Yep burn to cd or copying to USB memory stick is all good. :)

Ask a Question