Strange Graphics Problem

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first posting in this forum so hello to all that read it.

I have a very strange problem with an MSI Geforce FX 5200 AGP Card. I installed it new and it worked for 2 days and since then has had a strange problem.

1) DURING POST it displays White Vertical Lines down the display
2) During Windows XP Boot Screen it displays Blue alternating Vertical and Horizontal Lines.
3) When it does work it recognises itself as the correct card, but any attempt to complete driver installation causes the computer to reboot itself and the card displays 4 bit graphics.

I have cleaned out all old drivers and tried installing latest drivers with no luck.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Athlon XP2400+
MSI KM4M-V
1GB Corsair DDR RAM
GeForce FX5200 (when it works!)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd send it back and get a new one, but i dont know why it would do that, have you disabled the onboard graphics ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Yes its a plug and play motherboard so it automatically detects the AGP card, but to be sure I checked the BIOS and everything indicates the onboard graphics are off

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
can you try another one in it to see if it is a problem with the card ?

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. The Motherboard is also brand new and has had no problems.

Reaction score
Sounds like "knackred card syndome" to me... The card may be overheating. Can you check the temps in any way?

Reaction score
Not really the Heatsink did feel quite warm when I removed the card after only 10 mins powred up with the strange display characteristics.

If you let XP automatically adjust the resolution and colours it works fine, but only until you reboot the PC and all is lost. Its very annoying!!

Reaction score
Try changing ur drivers. The latest ones have more bugs than a Volkwagon dealer circa 1968 so maybe better trying the last ones...

P.S....Just to be sure, the old drivers have to be removed from the "add/ remove programs" menu in the control panel first. Installing new drivers over the old ones will cause.. pwobwems.. Sorry if you know, better making sure.

Last edited:

Ask a Question