new compacting messages message!

msiz

tI have recently started getting "WINDOWS MAIL CAN COMPACT THE MESSAGE STORE.
THIS MAY TAKE UP TO A FEW MINUTES" so farI have just clicked CANCEL, is
this okay to do? If so how do I stop this message appearing?
thanks

Dave

Let it compact it.
The message store is a file that keeps track of the messages, what folder
they're in, etc.
When you delete a message, the message store still contains data about it,
but not the message itself.
When you do the compaction, the data about the deleted messages is removed
from the message store, and the space is reclaimed.
It does nothing to the messages.

By default, it does this every 100th shutdown. You can change the frequency
in
Tools -Options - Advanced - Maintenance
I changed mine to 4, as I seldom shutdown the mail program.

msiz

ok have compacted it" I take it I willnot receive3 this message again for
some time?

Gary VanderMolen

By default, that compaction prompt will appear after every 100 closings.
You can adjust the frequency: Tools, Options, Advanced, Maintenance.

sdw

I have had Vista for almost 2 years but this message just recently started
appearing. I have read virtually all of the posts (including the 10/10/07
Windows Mail threads) and thank everyone for their information.

However, when I go to Tools - Options (I assume that means Internet Options,
as that is the only Options I see) and then Advanced, I do not have anything
anywhere that says Maintenance.

On the Advanced tab page I see the "Settings" window with a scroll down, and
then buttons for "Restore advanced settings" and "Reset."

Thoughts?

Scott

Spikey

sdw said:
I have had Vista for almost 2 years but this message just recently started
appearing. I have read virtually all of the posts (including the 10/10/07
Windows Mail threads) and thank everyone for their information.

However, when I go to Tools - Options (I assume that means Internet
Options,
as that is the only Options I see) and then Advanced, I do not have
anything
anywhere that says Maintenance.

Its under tools- options - advanced tab in Windows mail.

Gary VanderMolen

Why are you looking at Internet Explorer screens?
This issue is about the Windows Mail program, not Internet Explorer.

"sdw",
While you are in your windows mail, click
Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance(near the bottom) and click on it. Now
look for the "compact the database on shutdown every (list a number) runs".
Since seeing your problem, I've noticed the same thing happening in mine
that I chose to compact after so many runs. Mail to my inbox disappears.
Hmmm. So, even though it is checked "every 100 runs", it wanted to compact
while I'd be in the middle of answering emails! Crazy. It is now
UNchecked. I'll do my own compacting when I'm ready.

Hope that helped?

Just a new vista user,
Teresa

T said:
"sdw",
While you are in your windows mail, click
Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance(near the bottom) and click on it. Now
look for the "compact the database on shutdown every (list a number)
runs".
Since seeing your problem, I've noticed the same thing happening in mine
that I chose to compact after so many runs. Mail to my inbox disappears.
Hmmm. So, even though it is checked "every 100 runs", it wanted to
compact
while I'd be in the middle of answering emails! Crazy. It is now
UNchecked. I'll do my own compacting when I'm ready.

If mail to your inbox is disappearing the culprit is much more likely to be
that you still have your antivirus program scanning the mail which virtually
no one reccomends now. Its best to uninstall the module completely.

Windows mail needs to compact to work properly. It only runs on closing the
program so wont interupt anything you are working on (other than that
annoying pop up flashing at you). Also you should be saving any important
emails to your own folders with preferably a copy in your documents to be
included in your regular back ups.

How are you going to "do your own compacting??" Deleting the unwanted files
doesnt do what compacting does??

You are right, Spikey. I can't do my own compacting like I thought I could.
Seems like we had that option in XP, didn't we? I do have avg set to not
scan incoming/outgoing mail. I do save important emails to my own folder.
Sorry for my mixup. :)

Hugs,
Teresa

"Spikey" <.> wrote in message
T said:
[...]

I apologize. I was confused as I have never used (even opened until this
morning) Windows Mail but this popup window being discussed started (and
keeps) coming up very recently and I clicked on the, I think help link, and
it brought me to this discussion group. Scott

sdw

Thank you. Scott

T said:
You are right, Spikey. I can't do my own compacting like I thought I
could.
Seems like we had that option in XP, didn't we? I do have avg set to not
scan incoming/outgoing mail. I do save important emails to my own folder.
Sorry for my mixup. :)

If you are still having problems its probably better to go offline, do a
full scan to be sure, then uninstall AVG and then do a custom install
without the email scanning module.

I think its something they should have left in. I'm feeling better about
Vista now, it does have some nice features as well.

Thank you, Spikey. I might have to do that. I'm going to try Steve
Cochran's utility, too.

Hugs,
Teresa

"Spikey" <.> wrote in message
T said:
You are right, Spikey. I can't do my own compacting like I thought I
could.
Seems like we had that option in XP, didn't we? I do have avg set to not
scan incoming/outgoing mail. I do save important emails to my own folder.
Sorry for my mixup. :)

If you are still having problems its probably better to go offline, do a
full scan to be sure, then uninstall AVG and then do a custom install
without the email scanning module.

I think its something they should have left in. I'm feeling better about
Vista now, it does have some nice features as well.

missuszeee

I've been hitting cancel every time this message pops up. Now that I'm
reading all these great ideas--I don't have a Maintenance tab in the Tools
section.
Any other thoughts on it?? Thanks!!