Windows XP Networking 2 computers with one wire

Reaction score
Hello,

as the WiFi card in my computer has gone i want to test to see if the computer is running with no problems before i buy a new card.

i want to connect to my laptop using a ethernet cable and then connect through my laptops wifi card.

all i used to do to connect 2 machines was to plug a cable in and play a game accross them. now when i plug them in, nothing happens.

what am i doing wrong? and how can i network the 2 with only a cable (i dont want to buy anything)

Thanks,

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You need to use a "crossover" cable when using a direct ethernet connection between two PCs. Are you using a standard cable that you'd use for a router?

Reaction score
I am using the cable that i always used to use when connecting 2 laptops to play games together.

It is a blue cable that i nicked from the school that my mum works at. they use it to plug laptops into the network ports. i dont know if it is crossover.

It says:
Netmaster UTP Enhanced cat.5 patch iso/iec 1.1.801. & en501.73 & tia/eia 568a Verified - 241wgx4p Type cm (ul) c(ul)cmg e164469 YFC

Do you think it is crossover?

Thanks,

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, a "patch" cable is straight though - the opposite to "crossover" I'm afraid!

Reaction score
then how did it work with games? oh well... can i cut it open and cross the wires over, then solder back?

Reaction score
you could if you knew the pins to colours but for a couple of quid it aint worth the hastle.

Reaction score
Hey there is no soldering needed. If your not worried about losing the cable I can tell you what pairs you need to cross. The cables are simply punched down. Now it is not recomended that you remove the wires because it is nearly impossible to reinsert them once you have. Though if you wanted to spend like $0.30 to get a new rj-45 then your in bussiness. The first two pairs twist. Those would be the ones to the far left of the clip if you were looking at the prong side. so pairs normally run 12345678 and now on one end would appear 36145278. Their for the term "twisted pair"
I'll post this for now and get some images for you in a minute-- more detailed info could be found at the following website.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=make+patch+cable&hl=en&lr=&safe=off

Attachments

• 10-100baseT_rj45_connector.gif
    10-100baseT_rj45_connector.gif
    9 KB · Views: 287
  • 10-100baseT_rj45_crossover.gif
    10-100baseT_rj45_crossover.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Ask a Question