Network stops after time

Sid Price

I just installed QWest DSL and their installation wizard (or use of the XP
network wizard) has really screwed up my network interface. I have XP Pro
(all service packs/patches), two NICs, one for my home office network and
one for a small development network of embedded devices. The home office NIC
is the one the DSL modem is attached to. Other computers do not seem to have
the same issue, they are still set exactly how they were to run with the

I ran the CD installer on my PC and it never worked. I ended up calling
QWest and getting help to do a manual installation. All seemed to work fine
except that after some time (not sure how long or if inactivity is the key)
my PC has no connection to the internet. IE reports a server not found or
DNS error and Outlook can not connect to the mail server. If I disable the
NIC and then re-enable it all is well again.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what is going on here and maybe how
to fix it.

Thanks,
Sid.

Chuck

[...]

Sid,

Check power settings for the NIC. Is "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power" enabled?

If that isn't it, get PingPlotter (free) from <http://www.pingplotter.com/>, set
PP up pinging an ISP server, and see if you can find a pattern to the loss of
connectivity.

Sid Price

Chuck said:
Sid,

Check power settings for the NIC. Is "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power" enabled?

If that isn't it, get PingPlotter (free) from
<http://www.pingplotter.com/>, set
PP up pinging an ISP server, and see if you can find a pattern to the loss
of
connectivity.

I unchecked that power setting and had the same problem.

I noticed that while I am running OE to read the newsgroups periodically
that the issue does not appear. Could the inactivity be the issue?

Sid.

Sid Price

An update. The problem does not seem to be related to inactivity. This
morning, with OE running, the network access was lost.

Sid.

Chuck

Sid Price

Hi Chuck,

According to the status page of my DSL modem it is PPoA.

I ran IPConfig while the system was operating and then again during a
failure and could see no difference in the reports. Here is the dump:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SID-003
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter VistaMax Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-3E-D0-1F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter {08FB32F0-CE9D-4112-9309-78EC3B3429DF}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet
Scheduler Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter ExtraNet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-88-2E-AB-32
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
205.171.3.65
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 25, 2005
10:34:14 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 26, 2005
10:34:14 AM

Also, I downloaded and ran PingPlotter and during the failure my modem is
unable to contact the first hop. I manually tried Ping during the failure
and I can ping the modem (192.168.0.1) but I can not ping anything outside
of our network. During this failure time two other computers continue to
operate normally.

Also, I have discovered that if I use the "repair" menu selection of the NIC
in "Network Neighborhood" the problem is temporarily fixed, just link
"disable" followed by "enable.

Hope this helps diagnose what is going on.

Sid.

Sid Price

Chuck,

I made a mistake in looking at the IPConfig data during a failure. It turns
out that my PC is "forgetting" the Gateway setting. Any suggestions please?

Sid.

Sid Price

I have tried to fix the IP address and gateway but the fault remains,
looking again with ipconfig while manually configured the gateway entry is
blank.

Sid.

Chuck

I have tried to fix the IP address and gateway but the fault remains,
looking again with ipconfig while manually configured the gateway entry is
blank.

Sid.

Sid,

What are you doing (how muck time passes) between when the computer "knows" the
gateway address, and when it "forgets" it?

Please read 2 articles for background technique:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Sid,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

After reviewing the thread, to narrow down the issue, I would like to
provide you with my suggestions for your reference:

Suggestion1.
================
To narrow the root cause of the issue, please temporarily remove the NIC
for a small development network.

Suggestion2.
================
If possible, please move the problematic NIC to other slots to see if the
issue still occurs.

Suggestion3.
================
When the issue occurs, please double-confirm if the problematic NIC have
gained proper IP (IP address, Gateway, DNS server etc.). If you have not
gained those IP addresses, I will suggest you temporarily replace the DSL
modem to see if the issue still occurs.

Suggestion4.
================
If the problem only occurs on the specific Windows XP machine, also you may
follow these steps to reset TCP/IP in Windows XP.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Use
Registry Editor to delete the Winsock and Winsock2 registry entries, then
reinstall TCP/IP.

Delete the Corrupted Registry Entries
1. Click "Start", and then click "Run".
2. In the "Open" box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and
then click "OK".
3. In Registry Editor, expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, right-click
"Winsock", and then click "Delete". When you are prompted to confirm the
deletion, click "Yes".
4. Right-click "Winsock2", click "Delete", and then click "Yes".

Install TCP/IP on the computer
1. In Control Panel, double-click "Network Connections", right-click "Local
Area Connection", and then click "Properties".
2. Click "Install".
3. In the "Select Network Component Type" dialog box, click "Protocol", and
then click "Add".
4. Click on Have Disk.
5. Then type in the Copy files from box "c:\windows\inf", click OK. DO NOT
browse to this directory.
6. Under "Network Protocol", click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then
click "OK".
7. When the protocol is installed, click "Close".
8. Restart the computer.

Reset TCP/IP on a Windows XP Computer

In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the operating
system; therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP in Windows XP. In Windows XP, a
reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. When
this command is run, it rewrites pertinent registry keys that are used by
the TCP/IP stack. This generates the same result as the removal and the
reinstallation of the protocol.
To reset TCP/IP, follow these steps:
1. Open a command prompt.
2. Type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (without the quotation marks),
and then press ENTER.

299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Network stops after time
| Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:37:28 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I just installed QWest DSL and their installation wizard (or use of the
XP
| network wizard) has really screwed up my network interface. I have XP Pro
| (all service packs/patches), two NICs, one for my home office network and
| one for a small development network of embedded devices. The home office
NIC
| is the one the DSL modem is attached to. Other computers do not seem to
have
| the same issue, they are still set exactly how they were to run with the
|
| I ran the CD installer on my PC and it never worked. I ended up calling
| QWest and getting help to do a manual installation. All seemed to work
fine
| except that after some time (not sure how long or if inactivity is the
key)
| my PC has no connection to the internet. IE reports a server not found or
| DNS error and Outlook can not connect to the mail server. If I disable
the
| NIC and then re-enable it all is well again.
|
| Can anyone give me some pointers as to what is going on here and maybe
how
| to fix it.
|
| Thanks,
| Sid.
|
| --
| Sid Price's Software Tools.
| http://www.Softtools.com

Sid Price

Chuck,

To summarize in one place what I have discovered so far:

1. The loss of Gateway occurs with both a dynamically allocated (DHCP)
and statically allocated IP, gateway, and DNS servers.
2. The loss of gateway does not seem to related to network activity or a
lack of it.
3. The time to failure is variable, I have observed from 5 minutes to a
couple of hours.
4. Two other computers on the "Extranet" network, one WIN2000 and one XP
Pro, do not exhibit the problem. In fact the XP Pro machine has been up
since before the change from Direcway DW6000 to QWest DSL.

Many thanks for the help so far I trust we can continue and resolve the
issue.
Sid.

Sid Price

Thank you for your input. I do not have a replacement modem to substitute. I
have performed the IP reset procedure and the failure persists. Any other
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sid.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Sid,

For your current situation, if reset TCP/IP can help you resolve the issue.
I believe the issue should not be related to TCP/IP components in Windows
XP. From your description, it seems that the issue only occurs on the
Gateway setting. I suspect it may be related to the NIC or DSL modem. Could
you replace the problematic NIC to test the issue again?

If the problem persists, can you use IPCONFIG /Release or /Renew to restore
all IP configurations on the NIC?

In addition, have you installed the Service Pack 2 on the problematic
Windows XP machine? If not, I recommend you download and install the full
installation package of Windows XP Service Pack 2 from the following link:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30
-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en>

I have found the following articles that may be helpful:
814155: How to use Ping.exe to check your Microsoft Broadband Network
Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814155

833434: Default gateway and static route settings lost when you use the
IPCONFIG /SETCLASSID command
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833434

> [...]

| > Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
the
| > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
| > secure
| > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
| > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
new
| > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

| > |
| > | I just installed QWest DSL and their installation wizard (or use of
the
| > XP
| > | network wizard) has really screwed up my network interface. I have XP
| > Pro
| > | (all service packs/patches), two NICs, one for my home office network
| > and
| > | one for a small development network of embedded devices. The home
office
| > NIC
| > | is the one the DSL modem is attached to. Other computers do not seem
| > have
| > | the same issue, they are still set exactly how they were to run with
the
| > |
| > | I ran the CD installer on my PC and it never worked. I ended up
calling
| > | QWest and getting help to do a manual installation. All seemed to work
| > fine
| > | except that after some time (not sure how long or if inactivity is the
| > key)
| > | my PC has no connection to the internet. IE reports a server not
found
| > or
| > | DNS error and Outlook can not connect to the mail server. If I disable
| > the
| > | NIC and then re-enable it all is well again.
| > |
| > | Can anyone give me some pointers as to what is going on here and maybe
| > how
| > | to fix it.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Sid.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Sid Price's Software Tools.
| > | http://www.Softtools.com
| > |
| > |
| > |

Sid Price

Hello,

I suspect that the issue is NOT the NIC. If you read all of this thread you
will note that the issue started after a failed installation of my DSL
modem, the modem was eventually installed manually with instructions from
QWest support.

I have not tried IPConfig/Release or Renew yet, I will do so when the
problem next occurs.

I do NOT suspect the modem since there are other PCs on the network that are
working fine, including a PC using XP Pro.

All service packs are installed, windows update (automatic) is installed.

At the suggestion of Chuck earlier in this thread I have download,
installed, and I am monitoring the PC with PingPlotter.

The setting of gateway is NOT lost when I use IPConfig/SetClassID, I am not
doing that.

Your further comments would be much appreciated, as you can imagine this is
a very frustrating problem.

Thank you,
Sid.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Sid,

Do you use ICS on the problematic Windows XP machine?

Please try IPCONFIG/Release or Renew, what is the result when the issue
occurs?

> [...]

Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Network stops after time
| > | Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:38:14 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | Thank you for your input. I do not have a replacement modem to
| > substitute. I
| > | have performed the IP reset procedure and the failure persists. Any
| > |
| > | --
| > | Sid Price's Software Tools.
| > | http://www.Softtools.com
| > |

| > NIC

| > the

| > have
| > not
| > DSL

| > you

Use
| > then

| > and
| > the

| > "Protocol",
DO
| > NOT
| > then

Windows
| > XP,
| > When
| > by
| > the
| > marks),

| > so

| > the
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

| > the
| > XP
| > network
| > office
| > the
| > | > |
| > calling
| > work
| > the
| > found
| > disable
| > | > |
| > maybe
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Sid Price

NO I am not using ICS, all computers are connected to a switch, as is the
modem.

I ran IPCONFIG /RELEASE and the result was:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sid>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VistaMax Network:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter ExtraNet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter {08FB32F0-CE9D-4112-9309-78EC3B3429DF}:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Then IPCONFIG /RENEW:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sid>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface : unable to contact your DHCP
server
.. Request has timed out.

Ethernet adapter VistaMax Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter ExtraNet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter {08FB32F0-CE9D-4112-9309-78EC3B3429DF}:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.241.150

It was not surprising that the "RENEW" could not find the DHCP server since
the "RELEASE" had reset the settings.

After the above actions the internet connection was good for a little while
and then failed in the same manner, i.e. loss of the gateway setting.

Sid.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Sid,

After reviewing the whole thread, I notice the issue starts occurring after
the failed installation of DSL modem. Could you temporarily remove the DSL
modem to see if the issue still occurs?

Based on my experience, if the gateway lost intermittently, I think it may
be related to the following reasons:
1. Problem on NIC
2. Problem on DHCP Server

Based on your description, I have little confusion on your network
environment. Could you help me confirm some information as below?

1. If you are using a DHCP server, where is DHCP server? Do you have a
router as DHCP server in the network?
2. After you configure the Gateway IP manually, does it always lost from
the IP configuration UI or IPCONFIG /ALL after some time?

I suggest we restart the computer in Safe Mode with Network to see if the
problem also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally
protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using
the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
temporarily while in Safe Mode.

I am standing by for your feedback.

> [...]

| > Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
the
| > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
| > secure
| > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
| > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
new
| > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

| > |
| > | I suspect that the issue is NOT the NIC. If you read all of this
thread
| > you
| > | will note that the issue started after a failed installation of my DSL
| > | modem, the modem was eventually installed manually with instructions
| > from
| > | QWest support.
| > |
| > | I have not tried IPConfig/Release or Renew yet, I will do so when the
| > | problem next occurs.
| > |
| > | I do NOT suspect the modem since there are other PCs on the network
that
| > are
| > | working fine, including a PC using XP Pro.
| > |
| > | All service packs are installed, windows update (automatic) is
| > installed.
| > |
| > | At the suggestion of Chuck earlier in this thread I have download,
| > | installed, and I am monitoring the PC with PingPlotter.
| > |
| > | The setting of gateway is NOT lost when I use IPConfig/SetClassID, I
am
| > not
| > | doing that.
| > |
| > | Your further comments would be much appreciated, as you can imagine
this
| > is
| > | a very frustrating problem.
| > |
| > | Thank you,
| > | Sid.
| > | --
| > | Sid Price's Software Tools.
| > | http://www.Softtools.com
| > |

| > Windows

| > full
| > link:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

Network

| > the

| > so

| > the
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

Any
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > the

| > if

| > NIC
| > have
| > the

| > also

| > serious
| > using
| > Use
| > entries,

| > marks),
| > confirm

| > right-click
| > OK.
| > DO
| > and

| > operating
| > Windows
| > utility.
| > used
| > and

| > newsreader
| > no

| > visit
| > the
| > the
| > will
| > current

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

| > of
| > have
| > home
| > seem
| > with
| > | > | > |
| > is
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Sid Price

The DHCP server is a part of the DSL modem I believe.

As I stated earlier in the thread manually configuring the interface does
not
fix the problem.

I ran the PC in safe mode this morning for over 2 hours and the NIC settings
were not lost. On return to normal mode the setting was lost withing 5
minutes.

I look forward to your comments and help, thank you,
Sid.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Sid,

Thanks for your clarification.

Based on your reply, the issue does not exist in Safe Mode with Network.
Therefore, I suspect this issue may be related to some third party
services, programs or device drivers. So I will suggest you try the steps
to troubleshoot this issue:

Please boot the system into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this
problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Startup" and
"Services" menus until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
these steps:

1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
each line in that file.
2. Click the Apply button
3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
5. Click the Apply button.
6. Reboot your computer.

When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
causing the issue.

Reference:
==================
310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

316434: How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

Hope that helps!

> [...]

| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Network stops after time
| > | Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:12:37 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | NO I am not using ICS, all computers are connected to a switch, as is
| > |
| > | I ran IPCONFIG /RELEASE and the result was:
| > |
| > | C:\Documents and Settings\Sid>ipconfig /release
| > |
| > | Windows IP Configuration
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter VistaMax Network:
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| > | IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 137.237.207.100
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 137.237.207.100
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter ExtraNet:
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| > | IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter {08FB32F0-CE9D-4112-9309-78EC3B3429DF}:
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| > | IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
| > |
| > | Then IPCONFIG /RENEW:
| > |
| > | C:\Documents and Settings\Sid>ipconfig /renew
| > |
| > | Windows IP Configuration
| > |
| > | An error occurred while renewing interface : unable to contact your
| > DHCP
| > | server
| > | . Request has timed out.
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter VistaMax Network:
| > |
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| > | IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 137.237.207.100
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 137.237.207.100
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter ExtraNet:
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
| > | IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
| > |
| > | Ethernet adapter {08FB32F0-CE9D-4112-9309-78EC3B3429DF}:
| > | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| > | Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.241.150
| > | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
| > | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
| > |
| > | It was not surprising that the "RENEW" could not find the DHCP server
| > since
| > | the "RELEASE" had reset the settings.
| > |
| > | After the above actions the internet connection was good for a little
| > while
| > | and then failed in the same manner, i.e. loss of the gateway setting.
| > |
| > | Sid.
| > | --
| > | Sid Price's Software Tools.
| > | http://www.Softtools.com
| > |

| > issue

| > so

| > the
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

| > | > |
| > thread
| > DSL
| > | > |
| > the
| > | > |
| > that
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
IPConfig/SetClassID, I
| > am
| > | > |
| > this
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > the
| > the
| > modem.

| > problematic
| > the
| > following

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

| > Network

| > use

| > newsreader
| > no

| > visit
| > the
| > the
| > will
| > current

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

| > Any
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > message

| > like

| > remove

| > see

| > problematic
| > you
| > replace

| > system.
| > risk.

| > right-click
| > "Yes".

| > click
| > (TCP/IP)",

In
| > are
| > removal
| > quotation

XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

| > confers

| > entering
| > for
| > 6
| > entering
| > prior
| > you
| > newsgroups.
For
| > more

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

| > use
| > office
The
| > not
| > run
| > | > | > | > |
| > up
| > seemed
| > inactivity
| > not
If
| > | > | > | > |
| > and
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Sid,

Good to know you have resolved the issue by using System Restore. I think
that is a good solution if the issue just starts happening recently. If you
have any other questions in the future, please feel free to post here. We
are glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
> [...]
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Sid Price" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Network stops after time
| > | Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:50:20 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | The DHCP server is a part of the DSL modem I believe.
| > |
| > | As I stated earlier in the thread manually configuring the interface
| > |
| > | I ran the PC in safe mode this morning for over 2 hours and the NIC
| > settings
| > | were not lost. On return to normal mode the setting was lost withing 5
| > | minutes.
| > |
| > | I look forward to your comments and help, thank you,
| > | Sid.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Sid Price's Software Tools.