Need help with ApplInit_dll values

Horatio Fudruckerton

Am trying to install a program but I keep getting the following
message:

*Error 1406 - Could not write value AppInit_DLLs to
key\software\microsoft\windows NT\Current
Version\Windows. Verify you have sufficient access
to that key or contract your support personnel.*

Good luck with that last sentence !!!

Am running WinXP Pro SP2 on HP a1630n machine.
2 GB Ram. 250 GB Disk.

No luck with support; as usual. I am trying to re-install this
program as it
began causing problems so I just un-installed it and
was going to re-install it. No luck.

TIA for any help !\

Joseph

Wesley Vogel

This is the key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Windows

Working with the AppInit_DLLs registry value
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571

Make sure that the Permissions are set for that key.

To take ownership of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_take_own.mspx

To assign permissions to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

To assign special access to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

To grant Full Control of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

To add users or groups to the audit list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...proddocs/en-us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd like to thanks Wesley Vogel a lot for his valuable
information sharing. Joseph, please refer to his suggestion to address your
issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Wesley Vogel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Need help with ApplInit_dll values
| Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 20:20:47 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| This is the key...
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
| CurrentVersion\Windows
|
| Working with the AppInit_DLLs registry value
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571
|
| Make sure that the Permissions are set for that key.
|
| To take ownership of a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_take_own.mspx

| To assign permissions to a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

| To assign special access to a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

| To grant Full Control of a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

| To add users or groups to the audit list

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

| --
| Hope this helps. Let us know.
|
| Wes
| MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
|
| In | Horatio Fudruckerton <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
| > Am trying to install a program but I keep getting the following
| > message:
| >
| > *Error 1406 - Could not write value AppInit_DLLs to
| > key\software\microsoft\windows NT\Current
| > Version\Windows. Verify you have sufficient access
| > to that key or contract your support personnel.*
| >
| > Good luck with that last sentence !!!
| >
| > Am running WinXP Pro SP2 on HP a1630n machine.
| > 2 GB Ram. 250 GB Disk.
| >
| > No luck with support; as usual. I am trying to re-install this
| > program as it
| > began causing problems so I just un-installed it and
| > was going to re-install it. No luck.
| >
| > TIA for any help !\
| >

| > Joseph

Horatio Fudruckerton

[...]

Hi, Wesley

Thanks for responding to my post. However, I have already tried most
of the above links with no success. I have HP Administrator rights
and permission on the mentioned keys and is still won't let me install
the software. Been working on this for about a month; off and on.

Didn't mention it before but am also having a problem installing
another program but with different errors. Both programs are
*system wide* programs (Shadow User and NTI Disk Backup).
Any other program I have tried to install has been successful.
It seems that something is affecting installing of just those
*types* of programs.

Support has been no help with either program.

Joseph

Wesley Vogel

Hi Joseph,

What is HP Administrator?

Here are some things to look at.

Error message when you install Business Contact Manager: "Error 1406 Could
not write value to key \SOFTWARE"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913559

If Spy Sweeper is installed and running, try disabling it while installing
whatever.
You may receive Error 1406 when you use Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0
to install IntelliPoint 5.2 on a Windows-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912082

There is a third-party application on the system that is denying the
required access to the registry subkey. In most cases, this behavior is
caused by WebRoot Spysweeper.
You receive an error message when you install an Office program or open an
Office program or document
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

To work around this issue and complete the installation process, click
Ignore very time that you receive the error message.
Works 2000: "Error 1406" error message during installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309464

Visio2000: Error 1406 When You Install Visio Under Windows NT or Windows
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290257

You receive Windows File Protection errors when you try to install Project
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329829

Registry key permission error message 1406 occurs when you install Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321445

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks Wesley.

> [...]

| >> To add users or groups to the audit list

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

| > Hi, Wesley
| >
| > Thanks for responding to my post. However, I have already tried most
| > of the above links with no success. I have HP Administrator rights
| > and permission on the mentioned keys and is still won't let me install
| > the software. Been working on this for about a month; off and on.
| >
| > Didn't mention it before but am also having a problem installing
| > another program but with different errors. Both programs are
| > *system wide* programs (Shadow User and NTI Disk Backup).
| > Any other program I have tried to install has been successful.
| > It seems that something is affecting installing of just those
| > *types* of programs.
| >
| > Support has been no help with either program.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Joseph,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:07:40 GMT
| Subject: Re: Need help with ApplInit_dll values
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Thanks Wesley.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Wesley Vogel" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Need help with ApplInit_dll values
| | Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:41:28 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| |
| | Hi Joseph,
| |
| | What is HP Administrator?
| |
| | Here are some things to look at.
| |
| | Error message when you install Business Contact Manager: "Error 1406
| Could
| | not write value to key \SOFTWARE"
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913559
| |
| | If Spy Sweeper is installed and running, try disabling it while
| installing
| | whatever.
| | You may receive Error 1406 when you use Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer
| 2.0
| | to install IntelliPoint 5.2 on a Windows-based computer
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912082
| |
| | There is a third-party application on the system that is denying the
| | required access to the registry subkey. In most cases, this behavior is
| | caused by WebRoot Spysweeper.
| | You receive an error message when you install an Office program or open
| an
| | Office program or document
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687
| |
| | To work around this issue and complete the installation process, click
| | Ignore very time that you receive the error message.
| | Works 2000: "Error 1406" error message during installation
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309464
| |
| | Visio2000: Error 1406 When You Install Visio Under Windows NT or
Windows
| | 2000
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290257
| |
| | You receive Windows File Protection errors when you try to install
| Project
| | 2000
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329829
| |
| | Registry key permission error message 1406 occurs when you install
Office
| XP
| | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321445
| |
| | --
| | Hope this helps. Let us know.
| |
| | Wes
| | MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
| |
| | In | | Horatio Fudruckerton <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
| | > On Wed, 9 May 2007 20:20:47 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| us/regedit_take_own.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx
| | >

| | > Hi, Wesley
| | >
| | > Thanks for responding to my post. However, I have already tried most
| | > of the above links with no success. I have HP Administrator rights
| | > and permission on the mentioned keys and is still won't let me install
| | > the software. Been working on this for about a month; off and on.
| | >
| | > Didn't mention it before but am also having a problem installing
| | > another program but with different errors. Both programs are
| | > *system wide* programs (Shadow User and NTI Disk Backup).
| | > Any other program I have tried to install has been successful.
| | > It seems that something is affecting installing of just those
| | > *types* of programs.
| | >
| | > Support has been no help with either program.
| | >
| | > Joseph
| |
| |